It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #1
(female)

kayleighsmom HB User
Made an important decision

(script error)

Last edited by kayleighsmom; 04-18-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:38 AM   #2
(female)

kayleighsmom HB User
Re: Made an important decision

(script error)

Last edited by kayleighsmom; 04-18-2005 at 09:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 07:18 AM   #3
(female)

DannDees HB User

I know how you feel about your son and being a good example..My son started cutting school to leave campus with friends at lunch and got caught. I panicked and thought they are probably leaving to get high or something. I went to our police dept. and they gave me a drug test to give him (my request). Well when I opened the test it had 6 windows and one of the windows said methadone ( which I was taking). I thought geez I am asking my son to take a test that I myself could not pass. The horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach was enough to make me open my eyes.

You have a great plan , the dinners and the house being clean.. Wish I would've thought of that. The guilt I had from not being able to do the things I needed to,was not good on the mental part of dt.

Lieing is never good but I told my kids I was sick and my antibiotic would not be working for 5 days.

I know you are going to do it. I can hear the determination in your writing..Good luck to you!!!

Old 04-30-2004, 07:47 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Philster2003 HB User

Kay;

I fully understand and support your decision. Sometimes itís better to get it over with and move on. It will be rough at first but you will live and you will thank yourself in the long run. I tapered because I was at 500+ mgs per day and that was just a bit too much to CT from.

Good luck and be strong, this is one of the bigger battles you will fight in your lifetime and to win will also be one of the more significant accomplishments!

phil

Old 04-30-2004, 01:03 PM   #5

User 205000 HB User

Kay, congratulations on your decision. I quit c/t myself about 9 weeks ago from a 250-300 mg. level. If I can help you in any way, in terms of what to expect, encouragement, whatever, please let me know.

Old 04-30-2004, 03:24 PM   #6
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Kayleighsmom,

What a great plan- how observant of you to cook and freeze meals and clean in advance! I used to do that when I knew I was going to run out...make sure all the laundry was done and the fridge stocke! How sad!

Yes, please, check in for support and advice! Most of us have been where you are about to be!

Hang in there and God bless,
michelle

Old 04-30-2004, 03:53 PM   #7
Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

HI
Good luck with your going c/t, I wish you all the best.
You should be proud of yourself for taking this step.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:56 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

We will be here for you and I'm very proud of your decision. One thing... you have to get rid of ALL pills on Sun evening. If they are at the house, as you know, you WILL take them. We are all here for you and yes, please post daily as we have ALL been where you are.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #9
(female)

kayleighsmom HB User

(script error)

Last edited by kayleighsmom; 04-18-2005 at 09:26 AM.

Old 05-01-2004, 07:07 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Wow! I actually did research and Temgesic is the exact same thing as Subutex - Subutex does not have Naltrexone in it which is what is used to ensure addicts do not take anything else with the Sub. I didn't even know there was another drug co that made it. And, I'm not sure if the doses are comparable so I'm not a doctor and I would consult a doctor but I sure as heck would use it. But, whatever you do... don't take it until you are in the early stages of withdrawals. If you are taking a longer acting opiate like Methadone or Oxycontin, you should wait AT LEAST three days before you take it. Otherwise, if you are just taking lortabs or percocets or whatever, then about 10 - 12 hours after your last dose... you can take it but just maybe take half of one. Do you disolve it under your tongue? Let me know more info about this before you take it. You never know what kind of a reaction you can have. Literally, if you do not take this medication correctly or if you have a reaction to it, you will end up in the ER so BE CAREFUL!

Old 05-01-2004, 07:13 PM   #11
(female)

kayleighsmom HB User

(script error)

Last edited by kayleighsmom; 04-18-2005 at 09:27 AM.

Old 05-01-2004, 08:21 PM   #12

Brenda1231 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayleighsmom
Thanks everyone for all the support! I could use it as I have NO IDEA how bad this is going to be. I'm ready and I know it. I haven't binged or anything. I've kept to the regular taper schedule that Phil wrote for me.

How bad do you think w/ds are going to be ? I do have about 20 temgesics that I got from a friend. Is that stuff subonoxe or subutex? I was thinking on using them just to make things more bearable for the first 3-4 days. I don't have very much, so I won't become too attached to them I don't think. I was actually thinking today was Sunday for some reason. LOL Just ready to get the process going.

User - how were your w/ds? You said you were going from a 20-25 day habit? Is that right? How many REALLY bad days were there? I think the worst is going to be upon waking and then the not sleeping part. Ironically, the only time I've come off the hydros is when I was in the hospital last time and I was out of it so I don't remember.

Please, if anyone has any advice to help me, I would welcome it!

Thank!
Hi Kay,

First, I am doing the same thing, tapering and using the temgesic (buprenorphine). I have an appt. with a bupe Doc on Tuesday, I may not go if I am able to 'get clean' by myself. I started Temgesic Wednesday, then went out of town Thursday night and began taking my hydro again for fear of getting sick or having reactions away from home. However, the two days I took it, I felt pretty much okay. Waaaayyy better than the violent w/d's that I get within a few hours of stopping hydro.
I am going back on the temgesic tomorrow, so at least you are not alonE!

2nd, if the temgesic works for you, you will be very pleasantly suprised!
I have spoken to many online that have used the temgesic. The concensus is that they work like the Subutex and will relieve all w/d except maybe a little fatigue.

I have tried them a few times. The first I was non functional. Just couldn't keep my eyes open. The second time I was fine on day one and then at about 36 hours I got violently ill with w/d. Don't know why. But don't let this scare you. I have found about 10 people who did well, and only one other who had w/d's like mine.

Not sure if you have advice on how to take them, so I'll help if you don't mind. If I am not trying to be nosy or bossy, so take what you want from my post and discard the rest.

I have taken temgesic and then added a hydro when I was feeling more w/d than I wanted without the two ineracting or making me sicker. So the temgesic doesn't cause w/d if you take it with at least hydro. Don't know about other drugs.

I have seen a few 'dose instructions' and I have tried a few. Below is what worked best FOR ME.

Hopefully you are tapering now a little, before you start. I started the temgesic right from a 20-25 a day norco 10/325 habit.
Also, you might know, the temgesic are sublingual. The only way to take them is to let them disolve slowly, one at a time, under your tongue. If you bite them, swallow them, or chew them they will not work.

Day 1-3:
Try taking 2-3 first thing in the morning. One at a time, in a dry mouth, letting them disolve. (Like b-12).

Then take 1-2 more every 6 to 8 hours.

Day 4I haven't made it here yet, so this is going on advice I recieved)
Begin tapering from the temgesic on this day.
take 1 in the am and 1 in Pm if needed.

Day 5:
One Am or mid-day if needed

Day 6 and 7 take 1 only if needed.

The above is setting a goal to be off all opiates in 7 days. Many find that 5 is sufficient. You may want to stay on for 10 or more. Since the buprenorphine is longer lasting and very weak, you won't get any buzz from it (at least not likely) and shouldn't have any w/d from it if you only take it a week or two.
You mentioed you had 20. If you need more PM me and I will give you a site to get them from. Not sure if I am allowed to post the pharmacy on here, so i wont for now.

Remember these are much weaker than the US buprenorphine (subutex). They are only .2 mg as opposed to 2 or 8 mg. Subutex.
Still 3-4 in the am worked for me, and I was taking about twice as much hydro as you.
They also seem to stay in your system longer, and have an accumulative effect. So on day 2 or 3(which is usually my worst w/d days) you may find you need less.

Good Luck!
Keep us posted!

Old 05-01-2004, 08:55 PM   #13
(female)

kayleighsmom HB User

script error)

Last edited by kayleighsmom; 04-18-2005 at 09:29 AM.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:28 AM   #14

User 205000 HB User

Quote:
Thanks everyone for all the support! I could use it as I have NO IDEA how bad this is going to be. I'm ready and I know it. I haven't binged or anything. I've kept to the regular taper schedule that Phil wrote for me.

How bad do you think w/ds are going to be ? I do have about 20 temgesics that I got from a friend. Is that stuff subonoxe or subutex? I was thinking on using them just to make things more bearable for the first 3-4 days. I don't have very much, so I won't become too attached to them I don't think. I was actually thinking today was Sunday for some reason. LOL Just ready to get the process going.

User - how were your w/ds? You said you were going from a 20-25 day habit? Is that right? How many REALLY bad days were there? I think the worst is going to be upon waking and then the not sleeping part. Ironically, the only time I've come off the hydros is when I was in the hospital last time and I was out of it so I don't remember.

Please, if anyone has any advice to help me, I would welcome it!

Thank!
KLM, actually, my usage was higher, in the range of 250-300 mg per day. My struggle during this process was not the withdrawals, but rather, how was I going to deal with my spinal pain, which is legitimate. Here is what you can expect:

Days 1-3: FLu-like symptoms, such as body aches, some diarrhea, chills, sweating, plus insomnia. Also, some mental anguish, as you are breaking a habit.

Days 4 and 5: Continued flu symptoms, although less severe...mainly legs aches. Continued insomnia, although I was able to sleep from say midnight to 4 am, which was enough for me.

Week 2: Much better, although still minor chilly and some sweating. You might expect an additional 1 or 2 hours of sleep per night. I think the key with the insomnia is to not let it bother you too much, as I believe your body will sleep when you need it. Mentally, your thoughts will be much clearer, and the withdrawals are gone.

Week 3: Brain will feel very clear, but still some aches and sweating, but bearable. During this week, you will be amazed at how much better you feel overall. By the end of this week, you will feel like your old self, with very little craving.

General advice. If you really want to quit, just commit to a week of feeling lousy. Don't substitute any narcotics, as they will just defer what you need to go through, and it isn't that bad. If you have legit pain issues, you will be in pain the first week, but it does subside. Bottom line: this is no worse than a bad case of the flu. It is something you have to go through to cleanse your body, and it is well worth a week or two of discomfort. We did this to our bodies, so we have to pay a little to get clean. IT IS WORTH IT!!

PS: I didn't have the discipline to taper, and I don't think it really works anyway, given what I have heard from people who have tried it. Everyday tried it, and was very regimented in her taper, but once she ran out, the wd's kicked in anyway. My advise is to skip it and just do what you need to do and get it over as soon as possible.

Last edited by User 205000; 05-02-2004 at 09:32 AM.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:52 AM   #15

Brenda1231 HB User

Quote:
Brenda, thank you so much for your advice. I need all I can get. Did you say that you are starting again on monday? It would be wonderful if we could cheer each other on and be detox buddies.

I know where to get more Temgesic if I need it so don't jeapordize your membership here by advertizing.

How long does it take to feel the effects of the Temgesic after you take it?

I have a lot at stake here and am so ready to be rid of these pills. Good luck to you (and to myself) and let's keep each other posted, k?
I started the temgesic today.

I started late, around 11 am today, I took 3. I am going to take another as I still feel a little blah, but not SICK like I normally would. A little runny nose, stomach and leg cramps, minor headache.

I have to run to the store and will update when I get back as to how I feel physically.

Since you don't really feel The tems, I really don't know how long they take.
I have heard anywhere from 20 mins to 1.5 hours?

I know that if I take them immediately upon waking, I usually feel okay within an hour.
I say okay, not in 'going to run a marathon', but okay enough to take care of normal activities.

Keep in touch!

Closed Thread