It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 08:38 AM   #1

Justin77 HB User
How long before hydro physical addiction occurs

I know it is different for everyone, so I'm trying to get as many responses as possible and get an average. I started taking Percocets for an appendectomy I had(post-surgery pain relief). Anyway, I loved the feeling I got while taking them and wanted more. Percocets and Oxycontins are much harder to find than Hydro's so I started taking hydros recreationally. I take them for a few days (average 100mg a day), then take a few days off. I'm hoping this will keep the physical addiction away. I refuse to take them everyday continuously. Anyway, I'm looking for some answers about how long you have to take them before physical addiction sets in.

Old 04-30-2004, 08:54 AM   #2

NeverAgain HB User
Re: How long before hydro physical addiction occurs

Justin: You should be able to get off of the hydro's pretty easy. There is no way in Hell I could have just skipped a couple days if I had the pills. That is the first thing I use to reach for in the morning. As far as how long it takes every person is different, some people never get addicted. I would advise you to quit all together eventually you want be able to lay off of them for a fews days. Trust me you do not want to be fully addicted, it's a living Hell. Quit now while you can. I think you are in the early stages of knowing you have a problem.
Good Luck
B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 10:12 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

man you are playin with fire right now and you know it or you would not be on this board.ive been a heavey user for over 6yrs now and trust me you do not want to be where im at right now.give it up before you screw your brain up even more than what you have done already.it will get to where you cannot get out of bed unless you have a pill there beside you trust me on this ive been there and still fighting the fight.give it up now-spark

Old 04-30-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

taking days off is not gonna keep the addiction away cause believe me it,s gonna get worse i thought the same thing when i was on hydros for back pain started at 45 pills by 1 month my script was 180 stop now the feelings great but the w/ds arent quit while you're ahead kelleigh

Old 04-30-2004, 01:57 PM   #5

dschne HB User

Like everyone else has said STOP while you are ahead it creaps and creaps then bam your hooked then withrawl,s will scare you to death and you will keep on using so my advice stop putting your feet in the fire.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:07 PM   #6

dsny HB User

Thats exactly how I used to use them.I would only take them on the weekends,then every few days,then after a period of time it was every single day and thats with a random drug test I was trying to dance around.You ARE on a dangerous path and you WILL get caught up in it sooner or later.

Old 04-30-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

your finding them much harder to find..so your usin recreationaly....you should not be takin them at all unless they are prescribed cause as sparkster said your playin with fire...it aint worth the risk of all negatives associated with opiate abuse......chef

Old 04-30-2004, 02:58 PM   #8
Inactive

John 808 HB User

That is exactly what I used to do- take them on Fridays then every three or four days then every other day then every day then up to thiry a day!
And mind you, all this was over a couple of years. So, it was if it slowly, slowly, slowy snuck up on me. But, once it did, it has been impossible to get off of them.

Trust all of us, quit while you are ahead. You think it won't happen to you, as I did, but oh, how you'll find yourself eating those very thoughts a few months down the road!

michelle

Old 04-30-2004, 03:18 PM   #9
Inactive

mise ata ann HB User

Justin - stop now.
I had an appendectomy a few years back and doctors in UK would not dream of giving out such strong pain-killers for such an op! In fact - as far as I can see they are normally only given to control cancer pain.
Stop now is the only advice I feel that I can honselty give you. If you are over a week for surgery then you simply dont need strong pain killers.
Just STOP!
Mise ata ann
PS Listen to Chef and Michelle - look at what happened to Michelle. And I believe what she says implicitly.

Old 05-02-2004, 08:22 PM   #10
Inactive

herbal HB User

I'm in the same boat as you, except with Ultram.
I even told my doc that it could be a problem for me, and he just patted me on the back and gave me more. I havn't used any recreationally for about a week now. I DO need them for pain. But I'll often find myself taking one, then an hour later taking another one.

I use to take one EVERY Friday. This lasted from August 2003 - December 2003. Then I started to use them every other day and that sparked my tolerance. My doc only gives me 20 tablets and my mom holds on to them in her room and she counts them everyday. Thank God for this, because if she just let them lie around in my room, I'd be in the deep end right now.

You know what I'd always say to myself when I'd take them? "Oh, your responsible, you won't get addicted. Oh, just one more time this week won't hurt,"
When I take one for pain now, euphoria is very light because of tolerance. That's when I usually ask for another one an hour later...well I used to, but now my mom MAKES me wait 6 hours until giving me another one.

Life just seems more perfect having an Ultram buzz. Which is pretty much indentical to Hydrocodone. It just lasts a whole lot longer. Things that I enjoy are 100 times funner with Ultram. Even listening to music.

I have used Hydrocodone a few times to save my supply of Ultram. I believe this is called "cross-abuse" which can lead to "cross-addiction" and "cross-dependancy" and whatnot.

I'm not addicted to the Ultram yet and I pray it doesn't happen, because it can. I crave it very badly sometimes. Especially on weekends, etc. It helps me deal with boredom. Now I feel bad about that. I've got a girlfriend (been dating her for 2 years now) and she's perfect. She's Korean (asian) which is what I've always wanted. And still, sometimes time with her can even be brightened with Ultram. :-(

My prayers are with you.
Be careful.

Old 05-03-2004, 05:42 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

just checking to see if any of this advice is sinking in to me physical dependance is a crock if you keep taking these meds you're gonna become addicted i know i posted befor but they say physical dependance comes with no physchological attachment (crock) and i f you get any worse these drugs are gonna run and ruin your life trust me i know when i see some one headed on a road of misery i just want to do any thing i can to help please take all the advice given and do away with it but when your ready ok kelleigh

Old 05-03-2004, 03:58 PM   #12

Hope12 HB User

Justin- You posted back in February,stated you were taking 8-10 hydros(10mg?) 2-3 days/week.It is now May.You are still taking them??I think you're knocking on the door of physical dependancy,if you're not dependant already-and you went thru hospital detox for other "harder" drugs.Now,what do YOU think??What you are doing is NOT okay,and you need to quit now,if recovery is your goal.It is NOT easy,and the longer you continue to abuse these meds,the worse it's going to get,period.And I'm not scolding you,as I did the exact same thing as you after one of my hospital detox's,and it steamrolled into a relapse from hell.You already have a significant history of abuse,so you're not just playing with fire,you're throwing gas on it.So my advice is pretty consistent with everyone else's-quit now,and possibly seek some more help.Keep us posted,whether you continue to use or not.This disease sucks,and the longer you continue back down this road,the worse the withdrawal is going to be next time.
Peace,Stacie

Old 05-04-2004, 03:44 AM   #13
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Everyone told me the same thing when i first started taking opiates-but i wasn't gonna get addicted-i wasn't gonna let it happen-..
It took 3 yrs. till it hit-that was 11 years ago-been off it for a year-on the sub now.
It creeps/crawls/and getcha everytime..
we used to call it the "daze inbetween"...cos we were in a daze-between days-waiting to fix again.
RUNRUNRUN-take your jacket too...(velvets)..
Stop before you can't.
Heather

Closed Thread