It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2004, 12:24 PM   #1
(female)

loverLife HB User
Hydro's are getting me.......

I just read a post "How long does it take to become physically addicted?" I had a major surgery last year, and of course was put on hydro's. I had to take them for 6 weeks. I was physically addicted at that point, and I was able to taper off. I also suffer from headaches, (bad) and I take hydro's for those. I have seen myself going from being able to keep them in the cabinet, to now, not being able to keep them in the cabinet for when I really need them. I get a script, and take them all until gone. (not presribed that much), but I have seen myself get "psychologically" addicted to them. They are like and anti-depressant for me and give me lots of energy, the world is a happy place when I am on them. Even though I know the consequences of the physical withdraws, I still can't stop taking them! They are like the Devil....a little voice that says, take them, take them! I have an addictive personality, and have no problem with any other drug. (used too). But when I ran across these little suckers......bad news. Over the course of the past year, I see myself getting hooked. I go on "binges", I am now on a 3 week binge, and now afraid of the withdrawls. I work F/T and know I will need at least 3 days.

I think I am at the point to come clean, doing this on this board is my first step, my second, is to stop taking them, and probably get to N/A meetings. Does anyone else seem to start having withdrawl syptoms when you know you only have about 4 pills left???? Is that physcological as ****** or what!
I only take about 7-8 5 mg a day, and sometimes 4 10mgs a day, as I have read on this board, that is where it starts.....I am amazed at how many some people take, but I am sure I will be there if I don't do someting about it now.
Thanks for letting me ramble.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Re: Hydro's are getting me.......

my w/ds were definitly worse when i knew my methadone was low i know what you're saying in that area thats why i think physical dependance is a crock it's awesome that you want to stop just make sure you're ready it takes a very positive attitude to do it but i'm really happy that you recognize you're problem and do something about it and joining the boards is definitly a step in the right direction and welcome to the boards we'll be here through it all hugs kelleigh

Old 05-03-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
(female)

loverLife HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by no patience
my w/ds were definitly worse when i knew my methadone was low i know what you're saying in that area thats why i think physical dependance is a crock it's awesome that you want to stop just make sure you're ready it takes a very positive attitude to do it but i'm really happy that you recognize you're problem and do something about it and joining the boards is definitly a step in the right direction and welcome to the boards we'll be here through it all hugs kelleigh
Thanks so much for responding - you were the only one and I appreciate it! I have already starting tapering this week. My binge will be one month on Wed.

Old 05-03-2004, 04:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by loverLife
Thanks so much for responding - you were the only one and I appreciate it! I have already starting tapering this week. My binge will be one month on Wed.
hey know problem good luck on the tapering i'm here if you need any thing like someone to talk to cause let me tell you talking about it one of the best ways to get through this ordeal i talked my family to death and hang in there i'll be rooting for ya and i'll be here every step of the way ok hugs kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-03-2004 at 04:41 PM.

Old 05-03-2004, 07:25 PM   #5
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Welcome to the Board, Christine! :-)

I read your story just now. And I want to reassure you that there is a wealth of personal information on this Board, to help you physicaly--and psychologically--to get through this. Although I have managed to taper greatly--I have still not taken that final step--so I really do understand your plight. (I'm at the same amount as you.) And I did hesitate to answer you because, soon, you will be hearing from the many posters who HAVE taken that step--and who want to share the specifics of their success and just how they did it....wWhereas I am still standing at the end of the "diving board"--not quite yet ready to face the plunge! But--with the help and encouragement of so many Board members--I have, at least made the climb to the top rung! :-) And, they will help you, too. In fact, the combination of their wisdom--and your determination--will get you there.

I don't want to be an "enabler" or add to any fears you may have about stopping the hydro, when I have not yet done more than just taper. But, I do want to say that, at the 'lowish' level at which you have been taking the drug....I think you can do this!

With only a few pills left, though, tapering is not really an option for you. Are you still getting the pills prescribed? How often? Does your doctor have any "suspicions" that you are addicted? If you ARE still get the Rx...then you can taper...and several Board member here will have good information. (If you do not hear from others soon, just "bump" this Post back up to the top, tomorrow.)

In the meantime....try to find and read as many of the older Posts as you can. There are numerous Posts that allude to exactly the same sort of strugle that you are facing.

I, too (even though I now know all the facts), find it tough not to see this drug as an instant, though very short-acting "anti-depressant"!! (And I take real antidepressants that have been life saving for me.) But that instant "energy", temporary motivation..and sudden (short) view of the world as a "happier place"--is such a conflicting struggle for me. And, like you, I have never increased my dose much, because 1.) I do not have the access to the pills, and 2) my system has never beenable to handle more than one tablet at a time...or anywhere near the level that most people can go up to. But--I don't want you to just limit yourself to a taper, when I feel certain you can go for the big 'schmear' (the 'whole deal')--as we say in New York!! :-) So--again--read the older posts..and listen to the wisdom of those who have managed to win this battle! This is a very kind, compassionate group of people, who will offer you a range of advice--from gentle hints...to boot camp tough!! LOL!! And we will all be cheering you on through both your wins...and any occasional slip-ups!!!

I'm going off-line now...but will follow your posts and see how you are doing. I agree that you will need at least three days to get started physically...and emotionally. Try to do what you can to get as much time off as possible, so that you can relax at home and do whatever you feel helps you the most.

Lots and lots of good wishes to you now and along way. Keep us posted! Lynn :-)

Old 05-04-2004, 04:54 AM   #6
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Christine-
Welcome!You can do it-and i really understand what you are talking about-those little voices saying-go ahead-its ok.
But you got a chance-its up to yoy-w/d's are no fun-but at the level you are on-in a few days-you will be much better.
I hope you go for it-don't go there-i was told-right before my plummet into full blown addiction.
It never ended really-cos im on suboxone-which brings me to the next topic.
If you are really afaid of w/d you could contact a dr. to prescibed a suboxone detox-a week of tapering off vikes/with sub.
Good Luck-
Heather

Old 05-04-2004, 08:00 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

hi there just wanted to see how your doing and give you some well needed moral support hope all is well post me back kelleigh

Old 05-05-2004, 03:43 PM   #8
(female)

loverLife HB User

Thanks to all who have posted. I started the tapering today. It's one month now that I have been on the binge. I slowly started taking 5-6 10 mgs a day. Today I have only taken 3 and plan on only one more tonight. (4 -10mgs)...tomorrow, if I can I will take 3 and so on...it may have to be a little slower. I already felt withdrawls after 5 hours from my last pill. I should know better, I'm a smart lady, but these little pills......****** them! I have binged off and on for the past year, but this is the longest I have since my surgery last year. I have something nausea, sleeping, etc. When I start withdrawls, I get really tired at first, and have no problem sleeping. I hate the feeling you get....like all your muscles tighten up, and you would give anything for a pill. Does anyone know if the withdrawls will be harder because I usually am getting of 5 mg (6-8 a day), and this time they are 10mg, 4-6 a day. The 10mgs are stronger I know, but should I ecpect this to be a harder one? Taking for one month staright. Are withdrawls harder each time?

I hope to take the weekend and really detox......statying clean will be the hard part. Thanks for your support.

Old 05-07-2004, 06:55 PM   #9

User 205000 HB User

Christine, just saw your thread here, otherwise, I would have replied sooner. If you are still trying to taper, break your 10 mgs. in half, so they go farther for the taper. I personally didn't have the discipline to taper (and I am not convinced it helps anyway, unless you taper over a couple of months), so cold turkeyed from about 30 10 mgs. per day. At your level of usage, you should be through this thing in a week, and feeling good. For the aches, you can take 800 mg. of ibuprofen 3 times per day, stay hydrated, take a walk, which really helps, and if you come clean with your doctor, clonidine helps with the wd symptoms, and trazadone will help you sleep. Both are non-addictive. I will say this, however, I can remember when I was taking 4 to 6 pills per day and being amazed I was taking "so many". Believe me, it doesn't take long to get to 20 or 30. Good luck.

ps: Lynn, step off that diving board, OK?

Old 05-08-2004, 04:21 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Yep, it doesn't take long to get to 30, 40, 50. I couldn't taper a damned thing either....it was detox/rehab for me. If I was near a computer then I'd have my junk the next day via fedex. Good luck kicking it. If I were you I'd just throw the stuff away, puke and poo for a couple of days, sweat it out...and be done with it. Prolonging the agony sounds horrifying to me. You can do it how you want to but I'm just speaking from experience. The worst is over in a couple of days...the first day is gruelling....but you won't die. Ibuprofen, lots of water, trying to stay horizontal, hot showers...that helped me when I was dopesick.

good luck

Old 05-08-2004, 05:26 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Hi and we are all glad you are here. I know you are getting tons of advice but you could stop today - right now and be done w/it by Mon or Tues. You ARE on a low dose and your wds will not be severe. You will be uncomfortable... You CAN do it. INHO, Tapering is just torturing yourself. But to each is own and be sure you realize that when you taper, you are taking the risk at any moment that you can go grab one or two and take them, even though it's not on your plan. I personally think it's 1,000 times harder than c/t. You CAN do this.

Do you have children/husband, etc? Do you work? Oh, and normally, the wds DO get worse each time but you honestly are on such a low dose... You CAN do it. Just make up your mind. Also, if you do, you have to get rid of every pill you own and even ones you could possibly get- which means telling your doc you've developed an allergy to them and to NOT prescribe them anymore. There are TONS of non narcotic headache meds out there... imitrex, bextra,... I could go on and on.

Even if you decide to do a quick taper (which if you are already feeling withdrawals, why not go ahead and start today clean?) --- you should not be flat on your back from this withdrawal. Like I said, uncomfortable... regretting that you ever even took a hydro, but you will not die nor even be close. Sounds to me like you are sick of these pills controlling you and you ARE ready to take the plunge. Also, IF you can get to some meetings... This would ensure you don't slip up down the road. I have said a million times, meetings are the key to staying sober.

Now, ask me do I practice what I preach? lol I'm on Suboxone (which I would NOT recommend for you - your habit is not that bad and you CAN do this) and so the Suboxone handles all cravings so right now, I don't have to attend meetings. When I get off of Sub... I will be at one every day because I know myself and I know it will be the only thing that works!

Keep us posted on what you are going to do/when and how you are feeling! Again, we are glad you are here.

Old 05-10-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
(female)

loverLife HB User

Thanks for all your encouragement. I am tapering now...taking them at a longer enterval between doses. Unfortunately, I am only down to 6 5mgs a day...better than 8, even having some withdrawl tapering. I just want to be off of them now, instead of acting like an anti-depressant, they are now depressing me!

Thanks to all.

Closed Thread