It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2004, 08:19 AM   #1

tryn2rson HB User
alcohol withdrawels please help

I have been drinking a bottle of wine per night for approximately 2 years. I want to stop. what will happen if I stop abrubtly? Is there any way to taper off alcohol? is there anything to make it easier on me?
I am having surgery in a couple of weeks and I dont want to be having weird symptoms after surgery.
thanks so much!!

Old 05-03-2004, 08:27 AM   #2

jorob HB User
Re: alcohol withdrawels please help

Hi,

You sound exactly like me. I am a recovering alcoholic, 59 days sober. The reason I quit was because I was having knee replacement surgery and I heard that I would have to tell the anesthesiologist how much I was drinking because it could effect the anesthesia and that put such fear in me.

I quit drinking one month before surgery. At the time I was drinking black russians which is one ounce of vodka and once ounce of kahluha. I was drinking 7-8 a night, every night. My withdrawal was not so bad. The second day was worse with shakes cramps and diahhrea.

Depending on the size of the bottle of wine, I would think you should be able to quit without horrible side effects. That is, if it is only one bottle of wine and no other alcohol.

I tried to taper but could not do it - the bottles just called for me. Finally I had to just remove them from my house and quit cold turkey.

You should absolutely try to quit before your surgery - if not, you must be honest and up front with the anesthesiologist. I ended up having an epidural for anesthesia and was not put under general and intubated, so I did very well with my surgery in that regard.

Good luck -

Kathi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 08:37 AM   #3

tryn2rson HB User

thanks so much!! its a small bottle, 7590 ml i think. Im just afraid of going into seizures or something, I notice on the nights that i drink only half or just have a couple of voka tonics, i feel GREAT the next day. congrats on the 59 days!!!! I bet you feel great!

Last edited by tryn2rson; 05-03-2004 at 08:40 AM. Reason: add congrats

Old 05-03-2004, 08:39 AM   #4

Brenda1231 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryn2rson
I have been drinking a bottle of wine per night for approximately 2 years. I want to stop. what will happen if I stop abrubtly? Is there any way to taper off alcohol? is there anything to make it easier on me?
I am having surgery in a couple of weeks and I dont want to be having weird symptoms after surgery.
thanks so much!!
I don't think you are going to have harsh or bad w/d from a bottle of wine a night. BUT that doesn't make it any easier.

Are you an alcoholic? You have search your soul for the answer to that one.

I was a binge drinker. So I never drank daily (except a period of time when I was bartending). I just drank inappropriately, and in massive quantities.

IF you are being honest, and that is the amount you drink. Try cutting back to half a bottle, then a couple galsses, then one glass. IF you cannot drink less than the whole bottle, you probably are a fundctioning alcoholic and maybe you would benefit from AA?

You can visit Aa online. There is a wonderful online support group that are very capable of helping you.

Good Luck!

One bit of I know unasked for advice.
WHEN you have the surgery.....if you are an addict (to alcohol) be VERY careful with the pain pills you will have after surgery. It is very easy to trade one addiction for another.

Read, read, and then read some more about addiction. Most of us DID get started on narcotics after a surgery or injury. We didn't wake up and say...I'm gonna get hooked on pain pills or anxiety meds.

Just food for thought.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:43 AM   #5

tryn2rson HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda1231
I don't think you are going to have harsh or bad w/d from a bottle of wine a night. BUT that doesn't make it any easier.

Are you an alcoholic? You have search your soul for the answer to that one.

I was a binge drinker. So I never drank daily (except a period of time when I was bartending). I just drank inappropriately, and in massive quantities.

IF you are being honest, and that is the amount you drink. Try cutting back to half a bottle, then a couple galsses, then one glass. IF you cannot drink less than the whole bottle, you probably are a fundctioning alcoholic and maybe you would benefit from AA?

You can visit Aa online. There is a wonderful online support group that are very capable of helping you.

Good Luck!

One bit of I know unasked for advice.
WHEN you have the surgery.....if you are an addict (to alcohol) be VERY careful with the pain pills you will have after surgery. It is very easy to trade one addiction for another.

Read, read, and then read some more about addiction. Most of us DID get started on narcotics after a surgery or injury. We didn't wake up and say...I'm gonna get hooked on pain pills or anxiety meds.

Just food for thought.

Last edited by tryn2rson; 05-03-2004 at 08:48 AM. Reason: duplicate

Old 05-03-2004, 08:44 AM   #6

tryn2rson HB User

Hey thanks so much. I will try and taper, hopefully that should at least get me in shape for surgery. and dont worry about the "unasked for advice", I completely understand and it was good advice
thanks so much

Old 07-14-2004, 09:04 AM   #7
(female)

KIDINSANITY HB User

Brenda, if you don't mind me asking, how were you able to stop binge drinking???? Skyy vodka is the only thing I drink, and I don't drink all the time, but my husband and I will go through an EMBARRASSINGLY ENORMOUS amount of it in a small period of time. Then none for a while, and then do it all over again, each time knowing it's a bad idea and 'I shouldn't do this again.'"

I've looked online at the AA national site, but didn't find any online support groups. I'm very interested in finding one.

Thanks
sue

Closed Thread