It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 04:55 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Unhappy help me

i know some of you know my story about getting off methadone well right now and every day for the last 3 months i've been suffering with severe back pain my doc prescribed me celebrex,tramadol and and the legendary hydros i am so tempted to take the hydros because of this pain and i almost did last night i talked to my pain management doc and he told me its ok to take them because he knows my situation and said it's the only thing that is gonna take the edge off i just need some one to help me in this situation i cry everyday from this pain and have to leave work early and so on i had a steroid epidural which did not work and he said it's to soon for surgery I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO !!!!!!! the pain is in my lower back my leg and all the way up my spine and i've had this for 4 years and it's driving me crazy i can't throw them away because he wants to count them at my next visit and he'll think i took them all which right now is pretty tempting help me kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-04-2004 at 06:57 AM.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:01 AM   #2

Tobias12 HB User
Re: help me

As a recovoring dope addict myself, I've thought about what I'd do if I were put in your situation. My wife has never known about any of my addiction problems, I hate lying to her...but thats the truth...she never knew. Anway, in your situation I would give the pills to someone I trust...and tell them to dole them out on a daily basis. Say I was prescribed 3 a day...give me three in the morning. If I take all 3 in the a.m....tough for me, I'll be hurting I guess. Get my drift? Its too early to put yourself through this temptation in my opinion. Its oh-so-easy to slip. Our minds do great jobs at persuading us that a couple won't hurt...I know. I've fallen more times that I can count. Find someone you trust, champ.

Last edited by Tobias12; 05-04-2004 at 10:01 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 10:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias12
As a recovoring dope addict myself, I've thought about what I'd do if I were put in your situation. My wife has never known about any of my addiction problems, I hate lying to her...but thats the truth...she never knew. Anway, in your situation I would give the pills to someone I trust...and tell them to dole them out on a daily basis. Say I was prescribed 3 a day...give me three in the morning. If I take all 3 in the a.m....tough for me, I'll be hurting I guess. Get my drift? Its too early to put yourself through this temptation in my opinion. Its oh-so-easy to slip. Our minds do great jobs at persuading us that a couple won't hurt...I know. I've fallen more times that I can count. Find someone you trust, champ.
thanks tobias gives me some thing to think about kelleigh

Old 05-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #4

Hope12 HB User

Kelleigh,
I know where you're coming from,here.I have two bulging discs and degenerative disc disease involving s1-s2 right up thru my thoracic vertabrae(actually,just a fancy name for arthritis).I try to walk and do back exercises for strengthening,but yes,the pain does get in the way of that.Now,this is me.I WON'T take anything narcotic for the pain,because first,nothing helps it anyway,second,the pain never goes away and I don't want to be constantly taking narcotics(again) for the pain.In fact,when I STOPPED taking the meds,there was a pretty significant improvement in the pain afterwards,but recently,I think it's because I've been so inactive while battling my teeth infection for the past three weeks,it's seems to have started to creep back up on me.So I'm tryin to get out again and take slow walks and stretch myself out on the floor.You have to get the back built up/strengthened,or the pain will NEVER go away.I think taking narcotics for an ACUTE injury or illness is acceptable.Now,I said to Keith,there is no need to make yourself suffer.But in our case,where we suffer from chronic pain,unless you want to be back on addictive pain killers for life,we have to take action to treat the ROOT of what's causing our back pain.I had to lose some weight(relief from the pain was almost INSTANT from that),and also,instead of just one injection of steroids,you can be put on a daily dosing schedule of steroids and weaned off later,when the pain starts to subside.I would NEVER have the back surgery,unless I couldn't walk at all,that's a whole OTHER set of problems when you do that(my opinion,although I know that it is necessary for some and works for other people).
Kelleigh,do you have an acute injury to your back(on top of the already existing pathology)?If so,short term,VERY short term narcotics might help,if you think the risk outweighs the possible consequences.If you have the type of chronic pain that interferes with your activities of daily living,then drastic measures are of course called for.If you are indeed crying everyday and leaving work early because of the pain,then don't torture yourself and do what you need to do.Take the vikes for the pain,don't dwell on it,and don't ask for more if you don't need them.I freaked the first time I took some Tylenol 2's for my ongoing mouth pain,figured I was headed for a full blown relapse,but realized that hey, I was actually using pain meds legitimately for the first time in God knows how long,and I didn't have to keep taking them after the pain was gone.And I didn't.This week,because(dentist showed me my VERY frightening X'rays)of the severity of my infection in several of my teeth(I need three root canals,can't wait)he put me on Clindamycin and gave me some hydros(with a refill,that nasty man)I took some of the hydros,and they're still sitting upstairs because they just don't help my pain.And I'm NOT going to take them if they don't help.Period.I don't even let myself think about taking them for anything else.(okay,maybe occasionally,but actually,they make me feel kind of sick)SO,point being,don't beat yourself up if you truly need something for pain,just keep yourself in check.And if you DO fall,get back up,brush your shoulders off(that's a song,right?)and keep on going.Accept your pain,treat it,and don't think because you have a history of addiction you have to suffer needlessly in pain.Take care of yourself,it will be alright.AND,start doing things to get that back strengthened!!!
Peace and strength,Stacie

Old 05-05-2004, 11:00 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

thanks stacie i've been walking and doing the excersizes that my pain managment dr gave me and it's only making it worse and in my case i clean houses for a living and it definitly interfers with that because the bending and stuuff like that i definitly became dependant on methadone but the reason i quit was because my tolerance was going up i did in the beginning take them responsably but eventually the 30mgs were just quitting early like me from work lol so i started to take 40 and then my tolerance went up again so then it was 50 i know i can take them responsably i'm just scared of w/d s because i know i'll have to be on these for along time because i've had this sh--ty pain for 4 to 5 years now and it just never goes away and i'm with you on the surgery thing i freaked out on the steroid epideral and surgery just scares the crap out of me thank you for responding though i really appreciate it still don't know whaat i'm gonna do because the w/ds from methadone will never leave my mind and that's what makes me so nervous and i also feel if a take that first hydro i'll be ruining every thing thanks so much peace and strength to you also kelleigh

Old 05-06-2004, 05:36 PM   #6

Hope12 HB User

Kelleigh- That is so awful.You know,I dealt a little bit with chronic pain patients,some wore the Fentynal patches,others had actual catheters placed that delivered a continuous low dose of Morphine,and took Vicodin or other things for break thru pain.Kelleigh,if you HAVE to HAVE something on a continuous basis for pain,that's a whole other issue in itsself.I know about the tolerance that develops,it happens to everybody who requires long term pain management,but your pain doc or pain management clinic should be able to help you with that and monitor you,and increase dosages slowly as your tolerance develops.I know withdrawal sucks,but you don't have to do it cold turkey when and if that time comes again.I mean,it sounds as if you really need to have your pain effectively managed.There's nothing wrong with that.I'm so sorry you're in this situation,I know the back pain I have DOES get in the way of things I want to do at times,and can be SO frustrating.But I'm still at the point where I can do some things do to help strengthen my back and head some of the future problems off(like not being able walk!!).You can't live your life in screaming pain everyday!!! I'd rather take painkillers or whatever,to maintain SOME quality of life.Take care of yourself!!That's priority one.And I'd DEFINITELY do whatever it takes to avoid surgery until I absolutely had to have it,OR if I could be guaranteed it would be successful(rrriiigghhtt,no such thing!!)Also,and I hate to have to recommend this(because it's what I was addicted to),but you said Tramadol didn't work for you??Now I know when I feirst started taking them,they didn't seem to work,but after a week,for some reason they seemed to "kick in",and were pretty effective.Not Ultracet,but the 50mg Ultrams.Whatever you decide,I hope you get your pain under control.Chronic pain just sucks the life right out of you.Let me know how you're doing,take care...

Peace and strength,Stacie

Old 05-07-2004, 04:29 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

hi stacie i'm just so scared i just hated that my tolerance kept going up i mean i'm 32 and by the time i was 40 i'd probably be taking 100 mgs of methadone (idon't know if thats for sure but just an example) methadone w/d has left a very bad mental scar it's one of the worst things i've ever been through (aside of losing my mother) and narcotics just scare me now. i took the tramadol for about 3 weeks 50mgs twice a day and it didn't work all that well it took maybe 30% of the pain away as where methadone unfortunatly took 90% thank you for all your info i just no vicodin he wants me to take no more than 3 a day which i know is not enough and i'll end up taking more and then my tolerance will build and i'll run out early and then the w/ds will come and to me they are a living nightmare i,ve never had hydro w/d but i,m sure it,s pretty ugly thank you so much for helping me you've been great sorry so long luv kelleigh

Old 05-07-2004, 05:00 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Kelleigh,i just thought i would throw in my two cents here as i can sooo totally relate to what you are going through.I suffer with some very intense, sometimes overwhelming intractable pain caused by some heavy nerve damage from a surgery done on the inside of my spinal cord.I take narcotics on a daily basis.I have to or would not be able to even open and close my hands or even get out of bed most mornings.I also had a very intense relationship with hydros at one time.I worry constantly about getting back into the old patterns,and it scares me to death as I really don't want to go there again.

The best thing that I ever did was to start seeing an actual pain doc.there are many really good things about seeing a PM doc vs a GP for treating pain.The biggest thing is that they make you accountable for your meds.The pill counts are the best way to keep me on the straight and narrow,and the pain being so severe, if i overuse my meds, i know that I will subject myself to many tortuous days until the next refill.I most certainly would end up in the ER as the pain would be absolutely intolerableThe thought of not having any pain meds for even a day I think is what helps me the most.

when i was using the hydros,i could usually find a way to talk my doc into giving me an early refill or find another way to get more.Or I would just ride out the WDs for a few days until the next refill.When you sign that contract with the pain doc,they spell it all out and one real big thing is that under NO circumstances will they give you an early refill.So, i guess I am being scared into compliance,which really isn't a bad thing,as long as it works for me, i don't care you know?

If you don't feel comfortable about being in control of your meds, like another person said, have someone else hold them for you and set out your days dose for you, and the rest is up to you.If you feel that at anytime, you are losing control over the meds, talk to your doc.He is aware of you situation.I know the biggest thing for me to be able to do this is I stay the hell away from hydro at all costs.I really adored this drug back when I used it for other purposes besides pain.Was this your drug of choice at one time?i think that as long as you can stay away from the drug that gave you the most enjoyment, it would be alot easier to keep things in check.I have much better control of the Oxy IR that I take for BT pain than I ever could possibly hope to have over any hydro.I know that sounds very hard to believe, but this really works for me.

i know what your going through, and it really sucks,but over time,it should start to become just a little easier for you to control.alot of it is just mindset.I just keep telling myself that this is the way my life is now,and i don't have any other choice but to do things this way.i now have a set pattern ,or a routine set up, and no matter what, i keep telling myself over and over that i will not change it as it is the only way that i will have enough meds to cover all of my days.

i wish you luck in getting things in control.I know it has been the hardest thing for me to do.but i just tell myself that I am doing this for my kids and my husband and that helps keep things a little more focused.take care Kelleigh, Marcia

Last edited by feelbad; 05-07-2004 at 05:06 AM.

Closed Thread