It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 07:50 AM   #1
Inactive

over HB User
Insomnia-when does it end????

I'm on day 14 of totally being without hydros. The insomnia is still lurking and I just can't stand it. I don't have the problem of falling asleep, its remaining asleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time. I just can't stay alseep longer than that without my brain waking up regardless of how tired I am.

I'm going batty over this and I can barely function at times. I already exercise, take benadryl,unisom, varlerian root and melantonin to help me sleep, but still it persists.

Can anybody tell me your sleep patterns resume to a normal state?

Thank you and take care.

Over

Old 05-04-2004, 08:01 AM   #2

NeverAgain HB User
Re: Insomnia-when does it end????

Over,
It will take about 3 or 4 weeks before you are sleeping good. I know it is a horrible feeling not to be able to sleep, but your brain is retraining itself to function normally. Slowly but surely you will be able to sleep. Also at about two months I found myself rarely thinking of the pills anymore. I'm not sure if you are having the mental cravings, but that is a hard thing for me to get past.
Hang in there, you are doing so good. Remember somethings only time can heal.
B

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 09:50 AM   #3

Tobias12 HB User

I think the return to normal sleep thing is different for each person. In my case, I've been clean for 3 months or so, I hasn't gotten much better yet. I'll sleep 3 or 4 hours one day and not be able to sleep at all the next. Some days I can get 6 hours. And sometimes I'll go for 2 or 3 days without. I finally went to the doctor and he prescribed me ambian. That didn't help all that much after the first day on them and had some quite nasty side effects...sleep walking, etc. I went back and was prescribed Restoril and that seems to work o.k. if i take it once every 3 or 4 days. Thats just my story, mind you, you may be o.k in a couple weeks.

My brother went through much the same thing as me and was prescribed zoloft for the stress, insomnia part of it and that is working well for him. He'll probably stay on that for a long time to come.

I think alot of it depends on how hooked you were...and on what you were hooked on. hang tough though...you're doing well. Others have told me stories of going 11 days with zero sleep...so it could be worse.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

i know alot of people want to do this with out the aid of other meds but when iwent through methadone w/d i took trazadone and slept every single night it's just an antidepressant they also use as a sleep aid and i swear by it because the first attempt at methadone withdrawal i didnt sleep for like six days not a wink because my legs kept surging so thats why i went back on methadone but the 2nd attempt the trazadone was a god sent but just so you know sleep is coming for you and congrats on day 14 thats awesome you're doing great BIG HUGS kelleigh

Old 05-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

over,
Was wondering how you were doing!! Well my doc has given me elavil, an antidepressant, in a low dose for its sedating effect. No more ambien for me, though I liked it, as it stimulates the pleasure centers and won't help in your recovery. Benadryl 50 mg helps me too, but have to drag my butt out of bed in the a.m.

Good to hear from you; I've been busy too with no time to post this week, but will try to catch up. I'm sure the HEAT doesn't help with the sleep issue either; even if the a/c is on, I feel kind of worn out from the air outside. Keep hanging in!

luv,
rosie

Old 05-05-2004, 07:49 AM   #6
Inactive

over HB User

Thanks everyone for your replies. One of the main reasons that I loved the hydro was because of the sound sleep that it supplied you. I was on it heavily for about a year and I suppose I'm paying the price now for the abuse.

The insomnia thing is bad when you are going to school and can barely study and write papers. If its going to take a couple of months for the sleep to regulate, I don't know what I'm going to do.

You guys mention that the doctors prescribe anti-depressants for your sleep. How much do they prescribe? I don't want to be on them too long if that's the case. I believe Elavil is a Mao inhibitor, right? and not SSRI. I'm not sure about Trazadone. I have to look that up. I have Xanax, but I don't take that unless I'm really desperate. So far, its only been once a week for sleep.

Hey Rosie, I've been thinking about you and wanting to post a new thread for you. I know you've been busy from what I've read. How are you doing? I'm am still waiting on your thread of experiences of detox. The heat is pretty bad in the day when your out and about plus plagued with sleepless nights, its pure torture!! I don't know how you can even take care of the kids.

take care.

Old 05-05-2004, 09:59 AM   #7

jorob HB User

Hi there,

I have been taking 100 mg of Trazadone for about 10 years. I can fall asleep but I can't stay asleep, so that's where it helps me in staying asleep. My roommate took it and it didn't help her, so I guess you have to try to see if it will work.

Kathi

Old 05-05-2004, 10:33 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

rosietee HB User

Hey, over, glad to hear from you. Elavil is not an MAO inhibitor, just from an older class of antidepressants (at least I"m pretty sure of that). I don't take the full therapeutic dose, just enough to help me sleep. And last night I took 2 Benadryl as well, but like I said you do have to take them kind of early or it is tough to drag your butt out of bed in the a.m. No more Ambien or xanax to help me sleep. Although ambien is not technically a benzo, it does stimulate the part of the brain that could cause you to relapse, despite your most logically thinking efforts. Same with xanax, but even worse with that the w/d are worse, worse, worse than from the hydros and plus you could end up having a seizure. Once a week is probably ok, but you're still playing w/ fire.

I do have to finish this project for the office and then will try to come back on and post more. I feel like I am working in slow motion. Today is supposed to be cooler!

Oh yeah, there is a big NA big band bash up in Hollywood in July. Not sure that I would be going, but they have been passing the info around down here. Might be a way to check things out for you?

Take care,
rosie

Closed Thread