It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 10:13 AM   #1

wanna-b-free HB User
Need to quit...

Hi, I've been on Vicodin ES for 7 years now, I take them everyday. I take 1/2 at a time, but total approximately 5 per day. I have never abused them in any way, but I always felt ashamed taking them. I tried to stop taking them a while back, but I have absolutely no energy without them. I'm an energetic, non stop person, even before I started taking Vicodin... But now, it's like my body / mind depends on them for energy. I do have valid reasons for taking them, I was in 2 car accidents and have nerve damage, mild scholiosis and arthritis.

My husband and I are talking about having a baby. I would like to stop taking Vicodin before I get pregnant. I don't want to continue taking them with a chance that I get pregnant and not know for a few weeks.

My question is... can anyone recommend something for energy? I tried Hydroxycut in the past and it helped lots. But that was before ephedra was banned. Then again, I'll start depending on that for energy and won't be able to take it while pregnant.

What do I do? Any ideas / suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 05-04-2004, 10:22 AM   #2

Tobias12 HB User
Re: Need to quit...

Yeah...vikes do that don't they? They always gave me energy when I needed it. Unfortunatly...I've never really found anything to help replace that when you stop taking them, except time. Around the 4th or 5th day you'll start feeling better I'd say...You're pill-taking was never that pronounced...just extreemly extended, eh? Find a way to stay in bed for a couple days...eat soup and take hot baths. Go for long walks...and have someone to talk to. Depression usually set in for me on day two and hung around for about a week. Talking with someone who knows always helped me. These boards are great in that respect. Others will probably have better advice for you...you'll find nothing but kindness here. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-04-2004, 10:22 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

How about just laying off the pills altogether and depending on your own self for your energy? Easier said than done, I know. But if you want to get off of the Vicodin but you're still asking what else you can take just to get through your day, please don't even attempt pregnancy. You MUST be off of ANY of these drugs several months BEFORE you get pregnant. And if you're willing to give up the Vicodin but still want something else to 'wake you up', then you should forget about having a baby.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna-b-free
Hi, I've been on Vicodin ES for 7 years now, I take them everyday. I take 1/2 at a time, but total approximately 5 per day. I have never abused them in any way, but I always felt ashamed taking them. I tried to stop taking them a while back, but I have absolutely no energy without them. I'm an energetic, non stop person, even before I started taking Vicodin... But now, it's like my body / mind depends on them for energy. I do have valid reasons for taking them, I was in 2 car accidents and have nerve damage, mild scholiosis and arthritis.

My husband and I are talking about having a baby. I would like to stop taking Vicodin before I get pregnant. I don't want to continue taking them with a chance that I get pregnant and not know for a few weeks.

My question is... can anyone recommend something for energy? I tried Hydroxycut in the past and it helped lots. But that was before ephedra was banned. Then again, I'll start depending on that for energy and won't be able to take it while pregnant.

What do I do? Any ideas / suggestions / advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
there is a new med out there called altovis its suppose to get you energy safely i don't know much about it but just type in altovis and you can find out all the info there the only thing is i don't know if you can take while pregnant when i got off methadone i took gnc womens vitamins and a vitamin b complex they don't work overnight but in the long run thay definitly helped there is also ginkoba found in health food stores or pharmacys good luck and keep me posted kelleigh

Old 05-04-2004, 10:29 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Yes, see, the pregnancy thing, that's the part I'm personally concerned about. She can't be taking ANYTHING, excpet under her doctors orders, during or before pregnancy.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:29 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Yes, see, the pregnancy thing, that's the part I'm personally concerned about. She can't be taking ANYTHING, except under her doctors orders, during or before pregnancy.

Old 05-04-2004, 10:34 AM   #7

wanna-b-free HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV40
And if you're willing to give up the Vicodin but still want something else to 'wake you up', then you should forget about having a baby.
LV40, that was pretty harsh. I know about "starting something else", that's why I said "then I'll become dependent on that for energy and cannot take it while pregnant". I'm smart enough to figure that one out.

We're not planning pregnancy for tomorrow or next week, we're talking about it. I'm just trying to figure out what I need to do to get off these darn pills.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:57 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Well hon, taking one pill to get off of another isn't the answer.

And I apologize, I didn't mean to sound so harsh, but I know someone who took these kinds of pills while pregnant and her child will never live a normal life. So it makes me a little paranoid when I hear things like this. I wasn't implying you were too ignorant to know not to take drugs during pregnancy. My point was to pretty much say that you shouldn't be looking to try a 'new' drug for energy in order to escape the feeling of being trapped from taking another. You're pretty much saying, "I need to find a new energy drug so I can stop taking THIS one." I didn't mean for my response to be insulting. But that's like an alcoholic saying, "I need to stop drinking whiskey so maybe I'll switch to vodka."

Hon, there are many NATURAL alternatives to drugs. You just have to find them and see what works for YOU. Maybe a change in your diet. Or like someone else suggested, take walks or some other form of exercise. Let yourself get used to being WITHOUT pills. Get used to NOT depending on them to get you through your days. After a week or so you'll start to feel better, not just physically but spiritually and emotionally as well. You'll be so much happier without that dependence.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:57 PM   #9

wanna-b-free HB User

You're right... And I also apologize.. I should've explained what type of substitutes I was asking about. I meant vitamins, etc that really give you energy and aren't harmful to you. I used hydroxycut as an example, but then I realized that's something I can't take while pregnant. But it seems that the best way to go is to just stop and deal with a few days of laziness. Maybe join the gym again. Thanks for the advice.

Old 05-04-2004, 02:03 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

LV40 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanna-b-free
I meant vitamins, etc that really give you energy and aren't harmful to you.
Oh! My gosh! Boy do I feel silly, lol. I'm very sorry. Obviously a lack of communication here and I was drawing my own conclusions.

As far as vitamins, I take them every day, but I don't notice any change in the way I feel. Maybe your doctor can give you some advice

Closed Thread