It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 06:50 PM   #1

nomodro HB User
Lightbulb just quit smoking pot - help.

hey im 18, i just joined these message boards, in hopes of getting some support & answers.

well here's the story.. late march of 2000 i turned 14 and i discovered the great herb known as marijuana. i have been smoking persistantly up until yesterday. when i say persistant, i mean that i never went more than 1 full week without smoking, and when i smoked, i smoked ALOT. if pot isnt out of your system for 30 days, well then i could honestly say that i have been stoned for 4 years strait. i have good reasoning behind quitting; 1) it led me to do other drugs, i.e. coke, shrooms, pills, alcohol, mdma, etc. 2) the girl i want doesn't like pot. 3) i have no $$, and can't save any at all when this **** is priced at $20/gram. 4) i'm graduating highschool in June and I'm not gonna **** it up now.

pot has definatly altered my personality, and when i dont have it i get very aggetated (sp?), i have a very short fuse and no patience at all. i'm like a nasty grumpy old man when i dont have my weeds. i know that me quitting isn't going to last very long unless i have an alternative, and i dont want illegal substances anymore. so, what kind of medication should i ask my doctor about? my mom reccomended "busebar", i was thinking maybe some anti depressants? I DONT KNOW! i just need sumthing.

now, i believe there has to be a considerable amount of damage to my lungs after 4 consecutive years of smoking (hopefully not cancer),.. is there any medication at all, or is it even possible to repair damaged lung tissue?

please feel free to state any/all opinions and advice, thanks i appreciate it. i know staying on these boards will keep me focused about quitting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2004, 09:00 PM   #2
Inactive

herbal HB User
Re: just quit smoking pot - help.

First off, great job and keep it up. You'll make it through, I promise.
Here we go...

The only gateway drug is the mind, so don't blame your use of harder substances on marijuana. I'm one of those people that believe marijuana should be legal (and no, my username is not a code for marijuana). Why do I believe it should be legal? Because, it's practically harmless. Yes, it can cause addiction and certain cancers. But so does alcohol and tobacco. The government would save a lot money by ending the war on marijuana and focusing more on harder substances such as methamphetamines and heroin.

Also, I believe it's not legal because the government could not tax it, therefore they would make no money from it. They could not tax it because they cannot add other chemicals to it because THC is a very stuborn chemical to alter. Many chemicals are added to tobacco products to actually make addiction worse. People would be growing their own marijuana plants in their homes and backyards, so again, the gov would make NO profit from it at all. And with it being illegal, they are making millions and losing millions at the same time. Follow me?

I have smoked marijuana a few times and find it pleasant, but not as addicting as any other drug I have ever tried. In fact, I have gone months without a joint. Know how long I've gone without a pain pill the last 11 months? 3 weeks. Also, smoking the marijuana took my mind off of the pain pills and helped me deal with the craving associated with them.

Another funny fact is that cocaine is a Schedule II stimulant if I'm not mistaken? Cocaine has caused deaths even when it is used a lone. Marijuana has not. Amphetamines go along with that. They are all Schedule II stimulants as well, correct? And look at marijuana...a Schedule I substance. Makes no sense to me. It makes me so mad how marijuana is curved as a gateway drug and "one of the most dangerous drugs out there today".

When I have kids, I'd much rather them smoke pot than snort pain pills, cocaine, and whatever else.

This is my belief system on marijuana.

As for you getting on anti-depressants, hold that thought. You just quit a day ago right? Well, anxiety and depression is a normal effect after quitting cold turkey after heavy, continuous use. So wait a few weeks, and if you're not better, consider and anti-depressants. BuSpar would be good like you said because it has no abuse potential. I'd try to steere away from SSRIs. But that's just my opnion. SSRIs are not addictive mentally, but are very dangerous to the body over long periods of time. My mom is on Lexapro and Wellbutrin SR and I'm worried sick about how she'll be when they want to take her off of them or a couple of years down the road.

Again, good luck.
Stay clean.

NOTE: here are some quotes that support my belief system on marijuana.

"Man made pills, God made marijuana. Who do you trust?"

"Should man really have the right to generate laws for an herb that God himself has created?"

"I grew up abusing heroin, speed, LSD, and various prescription medications because the government told me that Marijuana is the most dangerous drug and can kill."

Last edited by herbal; 05-05-2004 at 09:07 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to herbal For This Useful Post:
Homie2011 (02-14-2011)
Old 05-07-2004, 04:39 PM   #3

User 205000 HB User

Nom, I agree with Herbal to just focus on quitting the pot, and give your body some time to heal before you plunge into different mind-altering drugs. My own view is that quitting any substance that you have become dependent upon is stressful by definition, but is often mistaken for depression. Sure, it "depressing" to get used to not being high, but that is STRESS, not depression, and it will fade. Don't fall down the slippery slope of taking something your body doesn't need. Just focus on detoxing the pot out of your system, and let your body heal.

Herbal, I am glad the government regulates that God-created herb called poppy plants ;-)

Last edited by User 205000; 05-07-2004 at 04:40 PM.

Old 05-08-2004, 04:52 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Herbal - you've GOT to be kidding me? I agree that if pot was REGULATED (which it IS for cancer patients, etc.) then it can be good, but goodness knows, God created opium as well and do we want every tom, dick and harry taking, smoking, snorting it?

Goodness.. you are on an addiction board that is designed for people that want to be CLEAN! And you tell an 18 year old boy that pot is o.k.? Please, use your words responsibly. Maybe another post would have been more appropriate for your opinion regarding legalizing pot but not to a teenager who is going through hell trying to get off of it. I'm just in shock!

Old 05-08-2004, 05:02 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Pot? I can take it or leave it. I choose to leave it. It only makes me paranoid nowdays. I find it a waste of money and brain cells....they don't call it dope for nothing. I must've smoked a ton of it. It is easy getting off weed. Psychological craving for a few days....no dopesickness...no puking, pooing or any of that nastiness. Whatever you do...don't get into real dope...that is when bad things start happening.

Dude...Where's My Kids?

Old 05-08-2004, 05:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Unhappy Re: just quit smoking pot - help.

I'd like to know the cost of pot. My daughter who is over thirty smokes it very often. She has since high school; I thought people outgrew this stuff?
She talks and acts the same as she did 20 years ago. Her boyfriend drinks six beers or more about five nights a week. He also smokes 3 packs of cigarettes daily and coughs like he is Dying!
And they just can't figure out where the money goes.
Are these really expensive habits? I know my husband's soda pop habit is over a hundred a month.

Old 05-08-2004, 09:25 PM   #7

Geek_USA HB User

Just quit, in order not to fall back stop chilling with your stoner buddy's for a while (chances are that after 4 years of blazing nearly all your friends are there due to the herb). Yes your gonna be really pissy for at least 6 weeks, and then it will slowly get better, remember you are only mentally addicted.

Old 05-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #8

Bluko HB User

Stay away from your friends who smoke pot.
Hold onto that girl that doesnt like it.

I have been smoking pot everyday for 4-1/2 years, Im Canadian and it is tolerated here.

I think Herbal was saying that it is not as bad as some people make it out to be. Dont get down on yourself because you are/was a pot smoker. Dont think that smoking pot means your a drug addict. Because one government calls it a drug, doesnt mean its a drug. Its a recreational substance, and taken within reason, can be quite enjoyable. Like a few beers. When I quit for a while, I had dreams about it for a week.

Pot is legal in some countries and was almost decriminalized here in Canada.
Why?......because it is not that bad for you.

Remeber, keep it real, do this for you and no one else.
Your 18 years old...be 18 years old...

Old 05-12-2004, 11:31 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

God created various poisoness plants, too, but he gave us brains to figure out not to eat them.

Pot may not be as bad as some substances but it still causes brain cell damage over time. And people can get hurt or hurt others making poor judgements while stoned.

I don't think any of these brain-scrambling drugs are 100% healthy or safe, and I don't just mean pot but alot of so-called legal stuff(AD's) as well, so just be careful. I wouldn't use AD's as a way to get off pot. Withdrawal is tough, but temporary.

Old 05-12-2004, 11:39 AM   #10

Morgansita HB User
Talking Re: just quit smoking pot - help.

THE SMARTEST THING YOU'VE EVER DONE, IT TAKES A MAN TO DO WHAT YOU'RE DOING!!!!! You'll be okay, whenever you feel the urge to smoke again just read about all the bad thing that pot can do to your system (besides killing brain cells)

Congrats!!!!!!!

Old 05-12-2004, 11:58 AM   #11
Inactive

farmboy7 HB User

Jennita,
Please share the study with us that proves "brain cell damage". I believe this is one of the many unsubstantiated myths perpetuated by our fine government (along with many other scare tactics, breast growth in men for instance). I have read several books on MJ and they picked every rumor and myth apart. Unfortunately the government has a "war on drugs" and propaganda is part of the war. There is absolutely no doubt that marijuana is one of the safest drugs out there. People die from aspirin and tylenol every year but you simply cannot overdose on pot. (theoretically you could if you smoked a pound in one hour)
The government also states that marijuana has absolutely no medicinal value. In other words they can't figure out how to make money off it. Check the NORML website to see the opinions of various physician associations and decide who you think is correct.

SusanGene,
The cost of pot varys a quite a bit depending on the "grade" and location. Probably varies anywhere from $200-$500 per ounce. But if you can grow it outdoors it is virtually free. To grow several ounces of that $500 stuff all I need is a seed, fertilizer and a little luck.

farmboy

Old 05-12-2004, 01:13 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Hey Farmy,

I would imagine that it causes brain cell damage....it's just gotta. It sure made me stupid when I smoked it....maybe I was just stupid before...oh well. I know it causes lung cell damage and that's good enough for me...cough cough...not that these Marlboro reds are doing any good (lites up). I smoked a lot of it in my life and when I quit a few years back and started again (after about 2 years) the stuff made me paranoid as all getout. I don't smoke it anymore cuz of the paranoia...that goes for schwag weed and the good stuff.

Windysan

Old 05-13-2004, 05:00 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmboy7
Jennita,
Please share the study with us that proves "brain cell damage". I believe this is one of the many unsubstantiated myths perpetuated by our fine government (along with many other scare tactics, breast growth in men for instance). I have read several books on MJ and they picked every rumor and myth apart. Unfortunately the government has a "war on drugs" and propaganda is part of the war. There is absolutely no doubt that marijuana is one of the safest drugs out there. People die from aspirin and tylenol every year but you simply cannot overdose on pot. (theoretically you could if you smoked a pound in one hour)
The government also states that marijuana has absolutely no medicinal value. In other words they can't figure out how to make money off it. Check the NORML website to see the opinions of various physician associations and decide who you think is correct.

SusanGene,
The cost of pot varys a quite a bit depending on the "grade" and location. Probably varies anywhere from $200-$500 per ounce. But if you can grow it outdoors it is virtually free. To grow several ounces of that $500 stuff all I need is a seed, fertilizer and a little luck.

farmboy
hi farm boy how are you doing hopefully better havent heard from you in awhile is your taper all done yet let me know kelleigh

Old 05-14-2004, 02:45 PM   #14

CocoEstrada HB User

i thnk marijuana is perfectly fine if you don't abuse it. i think it should be legalized. if you don't want to do it you dont have to, no one is forcing you. sure, it can be bad for you but so are cigarettes and alcohol. the only bad thing i've seen from it is depression, which is one o the reasons i choose not to do it all the time. cancer is a possiblility, but like i said, so are alcohol and cigarettes. i smoke about every weekend and not too much each time. i'm not willing to quit for anyone, i do what i wanna do, but if you want to quit that's cool too, nothin wrong with that. to quit, you have to want to.
"you gotta gun, i gotta plant, whos the criminal?"

Old 05-15-2004, 12:26 AM   #15
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Herbal- I have to say that I think that telling this boy that his pot use is really okay is way OUT of line. You make the comment that "Yes it causes addictions and certain types of cancer but so does tobacco and alcohol" These comments are ludicrous at best and irresponsible. Are you saying that he should abuse alcohol and cigarettes too?

This is a recovery board to help people get off of drugs, not a sounding board for your political agenda. Please use some common sense for crying out loud.

Nomodro listen to your instincts and stay off of the pot. My brother has smoked it for years and he went from an ambitious young man to literally a bad tempered person who is lazy and thinks that the world owes him a living. He is 38 and still lives with our mother. Every time he gets off of the pot for awhile he gets alot better. Pot is a drug that causes damage, don't let anyone try and con you and say that it doesn't.

Keith

Last edited by doggreensector; 05-15-2004 at 12:27 AM.

Closed Thread