It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
Inactive

sadsister HB User
whats wrong w/ my sub doc???

Hi everyone-
Im in a strange situation.My sub doc is insistant bringing me down 1 mg. a month-till done-which in my case would be 5 months.
He refuses to maintain me any longer-and wants me tapered down and off.
I explained that after being a chronic relapsing H addict w/ 8 yrs of use behind me-i was not ready in less than a year to be off this med.
I want to stay on it-because im dead scared going back to using- im not ready-im still getting cravings cos im down to 4 mgs now-not bad-but they are there.
He doesn't get it-he was never an addict himself-not that he has to be-but he really doesn't get it/nor allow any input-and i did think that i was going to be able to be maintained-indefinitely.I was thinking 2 yrs.
Am i off-base?
I have back scripts-that i was unable to fill when i did not have health insurance...i want to fill them for protection.Is there a time limit?
They are legitimate-i just had to fill what i could due to the high cost-but now that i worked so hard to get the insurance hes taking me off.
This has saved our lives-both me/hubby are on the program-we could end up back to square one.Its hard-two addicts.
Please help-any suggestions?
thanks-
heather

Old 05-06-2004, 04:50 AM   #2
(female)

KIMBEE HB User
Re: whats wrong w/ my sub doc???

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsister
Hi everyone-
Im in a strange situation.My sub doc is insistant bringing me down 1 mg. a month-till done-which in my case would be 5 months.
He refuses to maintain me any longer-and wants me tapered down and off.
I explained that after being a chronic relapsing H addict w/ 8 yrs of use behind me-i was not ready in less than a year to be off this med.
I want to stay on it-because im dead scared going back to using- im not ready-im still getting cravings cos im down to 4 mgs now-not bad-but they are there.
He doesn't get it-he was never an addict himself-not that he has to be-but he really doesn't get it/nor allow any input-and i did think that i was going to be able to be maintained-indefinitely.I was thinking 2 yrs.
Am i off-base?
I have back scripts-that i was unable to fill when i did not have health insurance...i want to fill them for protection.Is there a time limit?
They are legitimate-i just had to fill what i could due to the high cost-but now that i worked so hard to get the insurance hes taking me off.
This has saved our lives-both me/hubby are on the program-we could end up back to square one.Its hard-two addicts.
Please help-any suggestions?
thanks-
heather
Heather, I am so sorry to hear that your doc is wanting you to taper, that is what scares me sssooooo much! I think we have been on the sub. for the same length of time and I cant even imagine what it would be like if my doc did that to me, it scares me to think about it! I think that YES you should try and fill any last remaining scripts that you have. Thats what I would do. I have a couple myself and now it makes me want to go ahead and fill them. This is my worst nightmare. Can you go to another sub. doctor? I would be checking into that and see if there is another doc that can help you. This really scares me. I am so sorry for you and your husband.Were you down to 4 mgs by choice or was that your docs suggestion? At least he is doing a slow taper, thats in your favor. Again I am so sorry to hear this, let me know how things progress. Take care!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 05:01 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

sis some docs refuse to let patients be on sub for an extended period of time and dont ask me why unless there is some liabolity on there part who knows.my sub doc was a buthole never been addiceted and didnt understand how it works.he thought after a few months get off it and go right back to where you were before addiction which is bull.my last visit with him in dec he told me that no one on the sub ever completed his program and stayed clean which says something.if a person could find a doc that has been an addict themselves it would be much easier.dont know what else to tell ya except try to stay clean any way possible-spark

Old 05-06-2004, 07:01 AM   #4

jorob HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadsister
Hi Heather -

I'm not sure what the time limit is for a script but considering this prescription is for Sub and the whole addiction thing is so closely watched by pharmacists, you might have a problem. The insurance company I believe will only have a rule on how often you can refill a script - you have to be close to out before they will refill it.

Kathi

Old 05-06-2004, 09:29 AM   #5

staceyy HB User

Heather, Hey sweetie You know I know nothing about sub but I do know you can't use it as a crutuch forever but if you are not ready don't beat around the bush with your dco tell him exacly what you are afraid of tell him your doughts tell him lay it all out on the line. hope it helps keep me posted
luv and big hugs
Goddess bless
Stacey

Last edited by staceyy; 05-06-2004 at 09:31 AM.

Old 05-06-2004, 10:44 AM   #6

japittusc HB User
Lightbulb Re: whats wrong w/ my sub doc???

Suggestions? I suggest going to NA or AA if youre not already doing so. It won't cure you but it will put you around people who ARE addicts and know what youre going through. Let me know if you would like some info on how to find some meetings. I think it would truly help.

Old 05-06-2004, 07:16 PM   #7

Murphy555 HB User

Heather,

I sympathize with you....

People have been on methadone programs for years, some will be taking it for life. I don't see why taking suboxone cannot be an option for chronic relapsers.

I myself was just detoxed from suboxone (the same way one would detox someone from any opiate). It's a week and I feel horrrible and once again the desire to relapse is strong despite the programs I go to every day.

One Dr. at this place I am now says he would prescribe suboxone (how long I don't know), but that first I would need to stop klonopin which I've been on for years by a reputable psychiatrist.

What a mess. The least complicated thing is to just be clean of everything and have noone at their mercy, but I know how very very hard that is. I have no idea if I'll make it alive out of this whirlwind of changes and once again cravings.

Keep in touch
Murhy

Old 05-07-2004, 03:32 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Simple answer - find another Sub doc. You've got a few months to do it. If you have an old script, just take it to a pharmacy that does NOT take your insurance. It will be expensive, but well worth it. You're still paying much less than you would for drugs. Also, go ahead and get involved in Aa/NA. You cannot afford to wait any longer.

Old 05-07-2004, 09:33 AM   #9

tryinmybest HB User

Time limit on a script is one year. That's a federal law. I'm not sure why they are pushing you off. I have a similar background. I was clean for 15 years, an active addict for over 20 years. Relapsed and jumped on sub. My Doc didn't push me at all to get off. He also let me find the dose that worked for me. I went from 4 mg's to less than 1mg. This was all my doing. I suggest a new Doctor. NA worked in the past for me. Good luck!

TMB

Old 05-07-2004, 12:42 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

sadsis....i was in an outpatient program here in fla for four years on buprenex....buprenorphine...same as subox/subutex......didnt you say you were in mass?....may depend on where ya live.....im glad theres no rush to get me off of maintance after a 28 year problomo....chef

Old 05-08-2004, 05:56 AM   #11
Inactive

sadsister HB User

Hi folks-
Thanks for the responses-i would have thanked you yesterday-but-i came down w/ a vicious cold/allergy???Been zicam-ing all day/night..
Thanks for all your suggestions-they all make sense to me-
I do get to AA usually once a week-im also in therapy-im doing the work..
I'll be definitely hitting more meetings this summer.Haven't found the right grp yet-the local grp in my town..is too close for comfort-so i go w/ a friend out of town.
We are thinking about getting a new doctor if he doesn't want to maintain us.
Its not just me-its my hubby too.Too volatile-back n'forth..we both feel we could try to taper-give it a shot-im just angry he won't listen(the Doc)..
Whats the big hurry?I think he looks at us-as success stories..and wants to see us clean n' sober..so many others have dropped out of the program-3/4 months in..mmm-how successful will we be both in w/d's again.
I guess i thought we could hang here at 4 mgs. for a while-whats the rush?
We aren't using.We've made excellent progress in our lives-now lets wreck it?
Thanx all-i really appreciate being able to come here and vent..and all the info!
Sadsis

Old 05-08-2004, 09:12 AM   #12
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Actually the time limit on your script is six months because it is a controlled substance- get it filled ASAP and try to find another sub doctor.

I know how you feel- my doctor "cut me off" just out of the blue (well, he said he would taper me off if I didn't quit my Xanax and then decided he was not prescribing me any more, so, basically, yeah, cut me off).

If you don't feel "ready," please find another doctor!!!!!

Take care and God bless,
Michelle

Old 05-08-2004, 11:13 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

you can get a hold of outpatient clinic in my state that will lok at your record,youd have to go there and see the doc and they would fedex monthly supply and you have to go two-four times a year for them to give you a checkup...my bupe came fedex evry month...chef

Closed Thread