It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2004, 02:09 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Phlox HB User
How do the Liver/Kidney tests work?

Im just wondering what the tests are for checking someones Liver and Kidneys for damage? What are the procedures to get the tests done? In other words, if youre trying to get someone to get them done, are they ghastly tests and I should expect resistance in trying to get someone to get them done, since theyre ugly tests?
Also, I was reading that if youre getting your Liver checked for Acetaminophen damage that you should get your Kidneys checked too, b/c if the liver is indeed damaged it can pass problems onto the Kidneys.
The person in question has been having pains on the left and right side where the kidneys are, so im trying to convince them to talk to their doctor about it. Naturally, its not going smoothly, so Im wondering what the specifics are of these two tests, or if maybe he can go into a clinic anonymously or something. That, with tests that arent too bad, would be my best ammunition. Thank you all for the info

Old 05-10-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
Inactive

sadsister HB User
Re: How do the Liver/Kidney tests work?

My sister has Hep c..and has undergone several liver test that range from benign-to invasive-im not sure exactly what they would do-liver panels?
I believe those are blood tests.
Good luck-better safe than sorry-and make sure you ask your dr.-full details of procedures.
Heather

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2004, 04:23 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: How do the Liver/Kidney tests work?

You can very simply have the kidneys and the liver tested by just drawing a couple tubes of blood.my son has this done monthly to make sure his polycystic kidneys are still okay and his transplanted liver.I also have this done twice a year.In just a few days you will have your answers.It is nothing major,the blood is just drawn from the arm.

With the kidneys, the biggest indicator of overall function is the creatinine level.if that is within the normal range, then the overall kidney function is still good.

with the liver, they look at the ALT,and AST,both are liver enzymes that would go up if there was ongoing damage in the liver,usually it has to be pretty significant before it shows up they also look hard at the Alkaline phosphtase,and bilirubin.a big raise in the bili level is what causes the skin and the whites of the eyes to turn yellow(jaundice).

just keep in mind that you can still have damage to the liver and kidneys and still have fairly normal tests.it all depends on what level of damage there is and where it is located on the organ.

I myself have polycystic kidney disease with liver involvement,i have multiple cysts inside of my liver and my kidneys,with the r kidney having one cyst that is at least 5cm,as of my last ultrasound last year and i still have all of my labs come out within normal levels.

if their Dr wants to be pretty thourough,he can order an ultrasound or a cat scan.Both can give you plenty of information as to if there is actually any damage going on in there.Both are painless.

You are right about aceteminaphen being just as hard on the kidneys as the liver and they DO need to be checked out.Too much aceteminophen .or taking too much for too long is one of the main reasons for kidney failure,which when i read that was rather suprised about that myself.people hear about the liver problems more than the kidneys because I think the damage must happen much more quickly or something,also when you combine alcohol,it just slams the liver as both drugs are very hard on the liver.

The only tests that are really invasive type wouldn't come unless the lab results came back not looking too well.if the labs are good, there is nothing to worry about in the "pain" dept.They will only have the mild discomfort of a needle stick.If my son can have this done monthly without any major problem, i would think that any adult wouldn't be too traumatized by it. I hope your friends get in and have the blood work done,as it is the only way that they will know if there is a problem.They may be afraid to go just because of what they might find out but in most cases there wont be anything to worry about.look at me.My liver and kidneys are chock full of cysts, and my last set of labs that I had done(I have them done every six months)all came back within normal ranges.If your friend is having pain over the kidney areas, these tests definitely need to be done.i hope you don't have any problems with getting them to go.They can have the bloodwork done right at their own drs office.

Good luck phlox.If you have any more questions feel free to give me a hollar. Marcia

Closed Thread