It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #1

mom23boys HB User
What do I do??

Hello everyone, I am new to posting but have been reading for several months because I knew there was a problem. I have had many experiences with pain medication, ultram, lortab, percocet, because of the major car accident i had in 1996 and the many surgeries afterwards. (3-csections, 2 foot surgeries to repair fractured heel, knee surgery, and just recently to remove ruptured disc in my neck) My problem is that my neck went undiagnosed for many years and i suffered severe headaches and of course neck and back pain. They finally did an mri and found that the disc was pressing on my spinal cord and decided surgery was best. My surgery is 10 days old now and im still having some pain. I have another surgery coming up on my sinuses in the middle of june and another after that to reduce my breast size(to help my back). My question is i have of course developed a tolerance to these medicines. To ease my pain i have to take between 20-30mgs of lortab every 4-6hrs for effectiveness for instance. When i dont have any medicine i begin to go into w/d's. I get very sick. My husband and family know of my situation but our problem now is should i just reveal to my pcm that this is happening and that i need an ongoing scrip till this is over or should i just try to cold turkey it even though i will have to go through it all over again after the next two surgeries? I dont know what to do. I think I can handle it mentally but physically it is just so hard on my body. I also have three boys (11,3,1) and i would really like to do this in one clean sweep rather than be sick 3 more times and have my kids see me go through that. What should i do. I also get my pain med from my phsyc not from my pcm. Recently from the surgery it has been coming from my spinal doc but he is going to stop soon so what should i do. Go back to the psych or confess to pcm and should i continue and stop after my surgeries or go through 3 w/d's. I appreciate the honesty you all give here and am so happy for those of you who have worked so hard in your life to beat this addiction.

Thank You,
Sara

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2004, 11:19 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: What do I do??

I may totally off base with this but I would get all the surgeries done...then kick the stuff. No use getting strung out again and kicking 3 times. Those Lortab are doing a number on your liver. I would come clean with the doctor, tell him everything. Tell him you want to quit after the last surgery. All the extra gunk in those Lortabs is really hurting your liver. I would ask for vicodin without the acetominaphin(spelling?) in it. Because of your pain the doc might want you to switch to oxycontin....DON'T DO IT. The Lortab kick is hard enough...I wouldn't do it 3 times. Whoever is doing the surgeries needs to know the amounts you are taking. It could screw up the anesthesia(spelling?). When you finally kick the Lortab I would get the doc to help you taper off over a few days with darvocette. It will be tough but you sound like a tough gal.

Good Luck,
W-San

Old 05-10-2004, 11:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

lets get honest here...your hooked enough where you get w/d's from the opiates....you are not tellin the other doctors about what the other guys are prescribing...thats part of the disease...the deception....your a step ahead of the game cause your family is awhere you are addicted to narcotics.....are you taking them to get rid of the emotional pain you may have?....do not assume the doctors will keep you on opiates if you are honest and tell them about your abuse...they may cut you off right there....when do you become a liability to them...their code is above all do no harm....im an opiate addict too...it started with mre having an accident too...eventually it ran my life....slowly your getting there too...im now divorced,lost all materialistic goods just to get pain meds.....you need to be honest with yourself,now,before you get into big time trouble.....do you have the disease of addiction.......one thing is i am glad youve looked here for some advice and guidance and there are folks who will share with you and try to help you....im goin to go back and reread your thread.....wish you well......chef

Old 05-10-2004, 12:00 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

reread your thread....i would tell your pcp about your addiction...if you need two more surgeries with one being selective they may put you on methadone to control the pain and addiction until after your surgeries...i mean,they are the docs but only one,if you do not want to become a full blown addict,should be prescribing the opiates....only one and the others should know whats goin on....you dont want to be caught doc shoppin either.....only one prescribes the pain meds...are you eatin benzos too from the physc doc?...not good if you are....primin yourself,settin yourself up.....deal with the w/d's least amount of time......you may want to ask about maintance opiates,but try to kick it when your done with the medical part,period....you can relapse two years from now too.....remeber,once you get this disease,its a lifer....chef

Old 05-10-2004, 12:25 PM   #5

mom23boys HB User

Boy, that was harsh, Im not dr shopping. i stopped getting pain meds from the psych when i started seeing my neck dr. I get them from one or the other definately not both. No im not taking benzos. I do take an ambien occassionally if i cant sleep. So you think i should go speak to my pcp and tell him how i have this tolerance now and i get physically sick. You know i think i just need to get off of them period. But after each surgery will i be sick all over again? Im not hooked on them emotionally. I do have legit pain. Maybe i just need to toughen up and deal with it but it does not make my life very nice. I dont want methadone. I will just deal with these w/d's before i do that. Im all confused.

Sara

Old 05-10-2004, 12:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

pain meds should be used only temporarly...i didnt mean to sound harsh but it is the truth...i dont know your whole picture but oxycodone abuse will do exactly what i described to you....the w/d's will/could last up to a month...we are all different and how we have and deal with the w/d's are different....some folks may only be sick for two weeks...some folks will continue to use not to get sick...to be normal...thats usually full blown addiction.....if you need pain meds talk with your doc but only get them from one doctor...what you are playing with here is called opiate addiction and it can be a progressively bad disease....be honest with your doc and he will help you...

Old 05-10-2004, 12:41 PM   #7
(female)

DannDees HB User

NO NO NO TO METHADONE!! Unless you want to be on it for life because stopping is true hell..If you are already going through w/d when you do not take, you are already dependant on them . I would just keep using until your other surgerys. Stopping now and then taking them up again will only make you go through w/d more then once. After going through horribles w/d from methadone I am sure that the w/d thing can not be good on the body so I would not put my body through it more times then I had too..Best of luck to you..Besides ,putting your 3 boys through 3 times of mother being down and sick is not good for them to see..Wait until you can do it once and one time only..When you do make the desicion, stick with it!! It is not forever and is worth the w/d...

Old 05-10-2004, 12:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

For gods' sake.....NO METHADONE !!!!.....and NO OXYS !!! All regression analysis BS aside....after you get physically hooked....you are emotionally hooked as well (whatever the hell that means). Hooked and strung out cover all bases (physical, emotional, spiritual....all of it). Definitely tell the doctors everything. Yes, you will get sick when you kick them. It is good that you don't have benzos and/or somas in the mix as well. Listen to what we say....opiate addiction will take everything from you....home, family, respect...everything. Get your surgeries then kick it. Before then you need to tell your docs everything. If you can't kick them then you might need rehab to help you later on. It is tough to kick. When you decide to do it make damned sure there aren't any opiates in the house. Tell your husband not to let you have any opiates even if you beg for them. Be strong and get off of that crap before it eats your soul.

W-San

Old 05-10-2004, 03:47 PM   #9

Tobias12 HB User

Be honest with your doc's....all of them. Your family knows of the problems so you are one step ahead of many of us....You won't be alone with the w/d's. Yeah...it's hard to come off of methadone....but it has it's purpose. Talk it over with your doc's.

Old 05-11-2004, 08:39 AM   #10
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Hey Sara,

My advice would be to tell your doctor because of all your pain and surgeries and everything you have been through, you have built a tolerance to the meds and ask him to increase them until after you last surgery and then stress to him that you would like to taper off ASAP. There is no need, in my opinion, to get off of them now just to have to get back on. Withdrawals are no fun and I wouldn't do that to yourself. You have legitamately been through alot and surely the doctor would understand that you have built up a mild tolerance- I am sure he has seen this before. And hopefully, he will be willing to accomadate you and work with you. But, like I said, let it be known that after your surgery and your pain subsides, you want off the pain meds.

I am sorry you have gone through so much and I know from experience how hard it is to tend to children (I have a 6, 4, and 2) year old when you are sick from withdrawals. Just deal with that when all your surgeries are complete.

Hang in there and post me if you have any other questions. Take care and God bless,
Michelle

Closed Thread