It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2004, 11:59 PM   #1
Inactive

doggreensector HB User
I still need encouragement

As you all know I quit the vikes and it has been almost a month. This was the worst month of my life. Not just because of the wd's from vikes but because I ended up with the worst ear infection in my life. I lost all hearing in my left ear for one week and the pain was horrid. All the while I was coming off of the vikes.

As I told you all my doctor gave me ultracet for the pain, I was desperate. However when the pain finally started to go away about five days ago with it disapearing completely two days ago. I stoped taking the ultracet. My dosage for the most part was two tablets at 37.5 tablets a piece twice dailey. When I stopped the ultracet cold turkey the cramps I got were pretty bad. I have thrown out most of the ultracet and kept three packets of them containing two 37.5 tabs in each pack. My tapering plan has been first day to space them out by at least 10-12 hours which I did, tommorrow I plan to take one pack and then Sunday just on tablet and Monday I'm done.

I feel like I am back at square one again, but I took the ultracet legitimately and had only been off of the vikes for less then two weeks when the ear problem happened and believe me I went to the doctor almost every day for two weeks, I have to admit that I did like the way the ultracet made me feel and could see myself getting addicted to it. But I do have to say the craving feeling is not as intense as the vikes were.

Please wish me luck.

Keith

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2004, 02:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
Re: I still need encouragement

You can do this. It doesn't sound like you've been on ultracets long enough to where the wds will be that bad. I think it's great you are tapering and then next week, you will take it one hour at a time. Just get through the hours and then those will turn into days and before you know it, you won't even be thinking about drugs every single hour and every single day. Can you imagine going an entire day without even thinking of them?
It can and will happen. Just one day at a time and seriously, you will recover from this. I would consider this a MINOR set back and I do mean minor since you were not really abusing these. Really, it's not going to be that bad... You can do it and keep up the great job. Are you attending meetings, aa/na, anything? What is your plan for fighting cravings when they come?

Take care and keep us posted!

Old 05-15-2004, 04:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

banker is right you can definitly do this i'm astounded that in 2 weeks you're having w/ds thats awful i feel really bad because you had a reason for taking it well i'm glad your tapering off it that's definitly will power i'm sorry you have to go through this w/d sucks and once is enough i'm so sorry but you hang in there but i'm glad your ear is better keep us posted hugs to you and all the support you need kelleigh

Old 05-15-2004, 09:10 PM   #4
Veteran

Root HB User

Keith it sound like you have a good plan for stoping the ultracit but you have to make up your mind to realy stick to it. I will have a month off hydro this week and it is tough but if you are not going to meetings I hope you will very very seriusly think about it. NA might be beter right now because AA doesn't like you to talk about any drug exept alcohol. I think you are doing great but please go to some meetings. They have help me more than I can say.

Old 05-16-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Root,

I did meetings for awhile years ago when I was hitting the booze pretty hard. I just never cared much for meetings. I could never swallow the whole "powerless thing" It never made sense to me. Also the whole idea that it was a "disease" never sat well with me, especially since the founder of A.A. Bill Wilson did not ever believe that either alcohol abuse or drug abuse was a disease entity.

I know it works for some people, but I don't think that the 12 step model is for everyone. I knew several people in A.A. and N.A. that tried for years to get clean and never did and when they left the program they stayed clean and sober and obvious there are situations that are vice versa.

I hope it is working for you. Thanks for the encouragement.

Keith

Old 05-16-2004, 11:08 PM   #6
Inactive

doggreensector HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker
You can do this. It doesn't sound like you've been on ultracets long enough to where the wds will be that bad. I think it's great you are tapering and then next week, you will take it one hour at a time. Just get through the hours and then those will turn into days and before you know it, you won't even be thinking about drugs every single hour and every single day. Can you imagine going an entire day without even thinking of them?
It can and will happen. Just one day at a time and seriously, you will recover from this. I would consider this a MINOR set back and I do mean minor since you were not really abusing these. Really, it's not going to be that bad... You can do it and keep up the great job. Are you attending meetings, aa/na, anything? What is your plan for fighting cravings when they come?

Take care and keep us posted!

Hey Banker,

Thanks for the encouragement. I wish me and the vikes never met. I remember when I first took them for legitimate pain they made me feel good kind of like I took a shot of tequila and since I had had a battle with the bottle in my old life it made it that much harder to want to quit.

The ultracet did help with the pain, and I think since I did abuse vicodin there are going to be a little wd's with the ultracet, I had a little bit of diarherra today, but nothing compared to what the vikes did. So today was the last day for the ultracet. I feel a little crampy and have a bit of a headache but I think that I will be okay with alot of water and maybe a motrin or two.

Keith

Old 05-17-2004, 04:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

hi keith back to give you some more encouragement wanted to see how you're doing hope everything is ok and that your taper is going good also you can do this i'm just so sorry this happened to you i feel so bad but we are all rooting for you and before you know it it will be over hugs and hang in there kelleigh

Old 11-29-2004, 08:02 AM   #8

bohemia HB User

keith, iwish you luck in your decision to get off opiates. it sounds like youve had a problem with alcohol too. i know it took me a long time to be able to realise that i was an addict, and that i abused just about anything i could get my hands on. i've been clean and sober for 6+ yrs. thanks to n.a. I hope that you'll give meetings another chance.to have that choke chain of addiction removed is a real gift. there's a spiritual dimention to life now too thats pretty awesome. good luck to you,bohemia

Closed Thread