It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 05:05 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Wink Hey Mart7!!!!!

Hi Mart, just wanted to check up on ya and see how things are going for you.It has been a while since you have posted,on this board and the back board(see,I keep tabs on you in other ways too,lol)if you have the time, could you give me an update on you and how things are going with your son,and hubby?I think I remember you saying something about surgery?Maybe that is why you haven't been here in a while.If that is the case, I hope things are going well.

i will be anxiously awaiting your reply.hope everything is okay.Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 02:17 PM   #2
Mart7

Wink Re: Hey Mart7!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad
Hi Mart, just wanted to check up on ya and see how things are going for you.It has been a while since you have posted,on this board and the back board(see,I keep tabs on you in other ways too,lol)if you have the time, could you give me an update on you and how things are going with your son,and hubby?I think I remember you saying something about surgery?Maybe that is why you haven't been here in a while.If that is the case, I hope things are going well.

i will be anxiously awaiting your reply.hope everything is okay.Marcia
Hi Marcia!
Thanks for checking on me. My husband is no longer taking the oxy's, but he is on methadone. He is doing much better, and is sincerely making the effort to deal with his addiction. Unfortunately, I don't know if was the oxy abuse or what; but he ended up with hypertension so bad that it was very scary for awhile; now he is on Altace (for blood pressure) and a water pill (for severe edema). The last time he saw his Doctor they all jumped for joy when his blood pressure was down to 106/84. Quite an improvement over what it had been! I'm still attending ALANON meeting which has been very helpful for me; I feel like I am able to be a mom and a wife more effectively and not just yelling and screeching all the time! I have also met some wonderful people. Most likely I will be having "fusion" surgery in the next three weeks. My surgeon's office still hasn't notified me of the specific date; but I recently had an MRI and EMG that showed severe nerve compression. Unfortunately, (or fortunately), I don't tolerate narcotic pain relievers so I have just been dealing with the pain with non-narcotic pain relievers (which I think are causing havoc on my stomach). I do take a soma at night so I can at least get a few hours sleep. Right now we are getting ready for my son's graduation -- he just had his Spring Concert. I swear, I cry whenever I see him up there singing. He has such a beautiful voice! I have been "lurking" a lot; so I don't want anyone to think I have forgotten my good friends on this board. I know I have said this before; but your support has helped me through one of the darkest periods of my life and helped me take steps to get myself emotionally healthy again (even if I'm not doing that great physically.) I will definitely keep checking in. I appreciate your kindness and support.
-MJ

Last edited by Mart7; 05-16-2004 at 02:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-18-2004, 05:16 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Hey Mart7!!!!!

Good to know that things are going well for everyone in the family.So he is doing the methadone thing?sounds like this is really working for him,i am very relieved and so happy that he sounds like he really WANTS to get back on the road to recovery.i know that was a really huge issue before.

With regard to his high BP and the edema, has he had his kidneys checked lately? unfortunetly, when there has been a history of long term abuse, sometimes the kidneys as well as the liver can take quite the hit.Just from what I know about kidney problems,i know that high BP,and edema are one of the first signs of kidney damage.But I can't imagine that his doc wouldn't have already checked out all of his vital organs by now?i am happy that he has it under control know,but if he hasn't had the kidneys checked, it is a really good idea.

And keep attending those meetings!!they really do help you to keep your sanity.

So you are having the 'fusion".If I remember correctly, it is in your lower back that you are having the problems?Been through that surgery a couple years ago.i am sincerely hoping that things go well for you mart,and your pain will finally go away.you know, since you are taking all of those non narcotic pain relievers(I assume that you are on the nasty anti imflammatories?)i was on some rather high doses of motrin and aleeve before my fusion surgery and was having major problems with my stomach.It really felt like someone was trying to bore a hole through my stomach 24/7.My doc rxed me this med sent from heaven that really helped emmensly(sp?)to reduce that horrible stomach pain.It is called cytotec?And you take one when you take your anti inflammitories.It was an absolute godsend.I still had some pain but I think that if I would have started this when I had started the NSAIDS i wouldn't have had any pain at all.This drug was speciffically made for arthritis sufferers who have to be on long term NSAID therepy.Talk to your doc about it, i am sure he would have no problem Rxing it for you.trust me, you will be so happy that you started it,it really does help alot.I will not ever take another NSAID with out it.

Sounds like you survived the dreaded EMG?I know that some people have no problem with pain when they have theirs done and some go through absolute hell.I was one of the people who had a horrid time with mine.Plus because of the wide spread nerve damage to all extremities, I had to have this done on all four.It took forever (i did end up loading up on my pain meds before, but it didn't help at all really)But this IS the best diagnostic tool out there to detect nerve commpression and damage to any nerve.at least now, you know exactly where the pain is coming from and hopefully they can fix it with the fusion.Let me know when you find out the surgery date so i can wish you well before you go.

Sounds like your son is getting ready to take that big step into adulthood.God, they grow up soooo fast don't they?My oldest is the big 21 today!It all went by so quickly you know?

I am glad that you came here looking for some guidance those many months ago Mart.you have helped me to get through some pretty dark times yourself.If you ever need to vent,or just to "talk",you know that I am always here for ya.I am so happy that things are finally falling into place,you all deserve some peace after what you have been through.Keep me posted on everything will you?and definitely let me know when they finally get your date set for the surgery.Take care Mart, Marcia

Closed Thread