It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2004, 05:47 PM   #1

User 205000 HB User
Just noticed I passed the 60 day mark this weekend

but it feels like much longer (I don't really keep track anymore, as it seems so foreign to me now). I can't believe how much has changed in two months...for the better, by quitting hydrocodone. I've gained back all of the weight I lost, stopped spending a fortune on drugs, sought and am receiving legitimate medical attention for my spine, am rebuilding my marraige, spending more time with my children, landed a huge new job at a top Wall Street firm, and feel the best I have in ten years. Just over two months ago, my life was crashing around me as I was killing myself from this addiction. I look back now, and cannot believe I ever allowed things to get as bad as they were. I could very well be dead, divorced, bankrupt, or in jail, had I not found this board and listened to all of you, and changed my life. I can never go back.

I beg those of you who linger around here, but for whatever reason, have not or will not quit to please try. If I can do it, anyone can (30 vikes a day, cold turkey). And, after a month, the cravings go away, they really do. Please give your body a chance to cleanse itself and let your brain return to drug-free function...and it will. It is so worth it.

Last edited by User 205000; 05-16-2004 at 05:51 PM.

Old 05-16-2004, 06:11 PM   #2
Inactive

John 808 HB User
Re: Just noticed I passed the 60 day mark this weekend

I am so proud and happy for you! Congratulations!

Last edited by John 808; 05-17-2004 at 07:28 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-16-2004, 06:45 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Great job User !!!!

Last edited by windysan; 06-02-2004 at 03:42 PM.

Old 05-16-2004, 08:28 PM   #4

User 205000 HB User

Michelle, I don't want a parade, but I do want to motivate some others here to take the leap. You haven't messed up your life beyond repair, that's for sure. I hated all of those things you mentioned, and it took a rude wake-up call to make me come to my senses. Fortunately, it wasn't something like me crashing my car and killing my wife or child in it, or loosing my job or my house, or my spouse leaving me, or getting arrested. But I am convinced that one of those things would have eventually happened had I continued, seeing as my brain was loaded with narcotics. Think about these potential consequences of addiction. Could you live yourself if one of these things happened? It's not too late. These are the thoughts, to answer your question as to how I could do it, that made me end this deadly cycle. I finally realized that I cannot let a selfish choice of mine potential destroy people I care about. When you think about your addiction in those terms, you will find the strength you need. Putting a drug in your body is a choice...don't forget that.

Old 05-17-2004, 04:57 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

that is awesome isn't it amazing once your through the worse how time just flys so proud of you and just wanted you to know the hydros well lets just say they are no longer an issue w/ds suck and i'll never put myself in that position again keep up the awesome work you should be so proud of your self here is a hug for you you're doing awesome kelleigh

Old 05-17-2004, 12:18 PM   #6

User 205000 HB User

NP, I can't tell you how glad I am to hear you say that. I know all too well that dealing with daily pain is a *****, but the consequences of addiction are equally as bad. I do urge you to find another neurologist and have those bulging discs trimmed. This can be done with minimal invasion, and I have to believe you would feel much better. I would like to hear what your MRI report says...maybe I can help (loads of experience with painful discs).

Old 05-17-2004, 12:21 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 205000
NP, I can't tell you how glad I am to hear you say that. I know all too well that dealing with daily pain is a *****, but the consequences of addiction are equally as bad. I do urge you to find another neurologist and have those bulging discs trimmed. This can be done with minimal invasion, and I have to believe you would feel much better. I would like to hear what your MRI report says...maybe I can help (loads of experience with painful discs).
thanks i'll try to find out about the results on june 2 thanks for your support kelleigh

Old 05-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #8

User 205000 HB User

K, anytime. I know how hard all of this is from first hand experience, and I also know how desperate we are to not be in pain. Take care.

Old 05-18-2004, 12:49 PM   #9
Inactive

over HB User

User,

Congrats!! on being sober and your Wall street gig. That is so awesome, dude! Your words are my sentiments exactly. Life has been much more fulfulling. The mental clarity is overwhelming, not to mention the drive to better your life in every aspect possible. It like waking up from that bad and horrid hydro abuse nightmare.

Your absloutely right in being sober. If I didn't become hydro free, my life would have been a very quick downward spiral to hell. Who knows what else could have been for my family if I didn't quit.

Life is grand and beautiful now.

Take care.

Old 05-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #10

User 205000 HB User

Over, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear that your life is wonderful. Congratulations! Isn't is amazing what is possible when you commit to something worthwhile?

Old 05-18-2004, 04:53 PM   #11
Inactive

over HB User

Thanks User,

I never thought I would have made it this far. But I did. You know what? Someone offer me a hydro the other day and I said NO! I can't f..k..g believe I did that! That is a small miracle in itself. I know I made it when I said no to a vicodin and I didn't want to steal her vial as well!

Yes, you are absloutely right when you commit to being hydro free, its worth every ounce of pain that your body goes through. Going through the withdrawls experience enlightens you on NEVER going back to that hell! That's for sure!

How's your back? Have you tried accupuncture? It truly works. Don't take any narcotic pain meds ! eh?

Take care.

Old 05-18-2004, 05:01 PM   #12

User 205000 HB User

Over, nice job on declining the vikes. That takes gritty determination. I had a root canal last week and politely declined the offer of vikes from my dentist. I have not tried accupuncture. To distill my reports down to plain English, the discs between L4 and L5 are approx. 40% eroded, and the S1 disc is 50% gone. In two places, the vertebral bones are touching, and the surrounding ligaments are damaged from sports. One new thing I learned from the anestesiologist from my local hospital's pain clinic is that degenerating discs leak a fluid which causes nerve pain. This, apparently, is a new discovery. I'm still researching my options, including disc replacement surgery, but that procedure is still undergoing FDA clinical trials, and is a bit new for my comfort. Take care, and keep up the strength!

Old 05-19-2004, 03:06 PM   #13
Inactive

over HB User

User,

Ouch, your back does not sound good. My ex-husband was a competitive bodybuilder from Europe and his back is pretty screwy, like yours. Like you, he had 3 herinated discs and pinch nerves stemming from it. He couldn't even stand up. He was bowed over in back pain constantly. I suggested accupuncture because he tried everything with no success. Physical therapy, meds , chiropractor, and a lot of Vicodin at that time. Well as soon as he had his first accupuncture treatment, he was already standing. I know of a lot more of these amazing and successful stories through accupuncture where Western medicine and treatments have failed.

Accupuncture and alternative medicine is widely used in Europe. Although the USA is finally recognizing the extreme benefits that accupuncture and alternative medicine has to offer, the US is still far behind than the European and Asian countries.

Check it out and research it. You might be pleasantly surprise with it. Post it you need more info about it.

Take care.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:02 PM   #14

User 205000 HB User

Thanks for the info. Just today, I was talking to a friend of mine who periodically undergoes spinal steroid injections, which I have researched, and was not too thrilled with the prospect. Her anestesiologist, however, is very good, and performs the proceedure under a camera, similar to cardiac surgery. The needle he uses is approx the diameter of a human hair, allowing him to isolate the exact nerves that are transmitting pain. If they cannot be isolated, there is another procedure to simply cut the nerve. Maybe Michelle can look into this. It has to be an excellent hospital-based pain clinic.

Old 05-19-2004, 04:22 PM   #15
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Why would I need to look into this- does this help migraine pain? Just curious- never heard of that options for migraines!

Michelle

Closed Thread