It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2004, 03:07 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User
Question duragesic patch

can anyone tell me if the fentynal patch is a bad thing to use i know it's a narcotic and comes with w/ds but can you abuse it i know people do in certain ways but would it be a bad alternative or better than taking vicodin just curious because that's my pain drs next option thanks kelleigh

Last edited by no patience; 05-17-2004 at 03:11 PM.

Old 05-17-2004, 03:21 PM   #2

dsny HB User
Re: duragesic patch

There are some Dr's that will prescribe it as part of the detox/withdrawal process.Fentynal is one of the strongest pain killers there is and they give to late stage cancer patients so use caution with these patches.Going from Vic's to Fentynal is a big jump in potency and I would probably not go that route.Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #3
Inactive

John 808 HB User

My f-i-l was given a duragesic patch when he had cancer on his spine- before sugery-so- that is how strong it is. I would use this as an absolute LAST RESORT! Just my opinion!

Hang in there- sorry you are having such a rough time with your back,
M

Old 05-17-2004, 06:31 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 3:16
My f-i-l was given a duragesic patch when he had cancer on his spine- before sugery-so- that is how strong it is. I would use this as an absolute LAST RESORT! Just my opinion!

Hang in there- sorry you are having such a rough time with your back,
M
thanks did'nt realize they were so potent i just figured they would be better cause they dispurse it slowly and really no way to abuse them but thanks for the info kelleigh

Old 05-17-2004, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsnyken
There are some Dr's that will prescribe it as part of the detox/withdrawal process.Fentynal is one of the strongest pain killers there is and they give to late stage cancer patients so use caution with these patches.Going from Vic's to Fentynal is a big jump in potency and I would probably not go that route.Good Luck
thanks for the advice i actually tryed one and it is working awesome i did'nt realize they were so potent now i'm scared will it ever end thanks though i appreciate it kelleigh

Old 05-17-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

My doc gave them to me when I was detoxing from lortabs.... THEN.. after being on them for three weeks, we switched to Suboxone. He did this because I had taken a few methadone pills and you can't start Sub w/methadone still in your system. I was taking about 20 lortab 10s per day and the 50 micg duragesic patch handled my withdrawals but gave me NO HIGH... I hated it, of course... because I wanted that high. However, I did what he said and I actually ended up taking 75 micg (not mg but whatever the dose is) and then I started trying to wean back down to 25 and the withdrawals were 1,000 times worse than 20 lortab cold turkey. I had a friend that had methadone and I took that for about 2 weeks... long enough to get the patch out of my system... then tried to stay clean for about a week and couldn't so I got 50 lortab 10s and abused the heck out of them... then started Sub on Dec 1st.... haven't looked back since. So, the patch is stronger than morphine. That's why they can't even prescribe it in mgs... it's a smaller dose than that and yes, you can abuse it... Just be careful. It's hell to come off of.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:00 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banker
My doc gave them to me when I was detoxing from lortabs.... THEN.. after being on them for three weeks, we switched to Suboxone. He did this because I had taken a few methadone pills and you can't start Sub w/methadone still in your system. I was taking about 20 lortab 10s per day and the 50 micg duragesic patch handled my withdrawals but gave me NO HIGH... I hated it, of course... because I wanted that high. However, I did what he said and I actually ended up taking 75 micg (not mg but whatever the dose is) and then I started trying to wean back down to 25 and the withdrawals were 1,000 times worse than 20 lortab cold turkey. I had a friend that had methadone and I took that for about 2 weeks... long enough to get the patch out of my system... then tried to stay clean for about a week and couldn't so I got 50 lortab 10s and abused the heck out of them... then started Sub on Dec 1st.... haven't looked back since. So, the patch is stronger than morphine. That's why they can't even prescribe it in mgs... it's a smaller dose than that and yes, you can abuse it... Just be careful. It's hell to come off of.
you really can abuse it how so i mean i know people take the liquid out but i would never turn to that because i just want rid of my pain god your experience sounds awful now i don't know if i should keep it on or not i mean i used it to wean off methadone which did'nt mask my w/ds much at all so i figured it was pretty safe now with all this info i don't know what to do thanks for sharing your story though it gives me something to think about luv kelleigh

Old 05-17-2004, 07:34 PM   #8

User 205000 HB User

NP, good choice. Fentanlyl is several times stronger than morphine.

Old 05-17-2004, 07:39 PM   #9
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Hey Banker,

Someone (VikesGotMe) was asking for your adive last night- trying to "hunt you down" and I responded best I could and hoped that you would eventually see the post, but this morning it is gone???? HUMM??

How are you girl? You sound good- how is your Grandma? Out of the hospital? Seems you and I have "missed" each other on the boards lately.

Fill me in! Hugs,
miche

Old 05-18-2004, 04:10 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by User 205000
NP, good choice. Fentanlyl is several times stronger than morphine.
thank you!!

Last edited by no patience; 05-18-2004 at 04:11 AM.

Old 05-18-2004, 04:57 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

if ya get hooked on fenytal (the patch) if will assure you a trip to the hospital to get off it and when you get out there still will be w/ds no matter how you do it.good luck and leave it alone unless the pain is overwelming-spark

Old 05-18-2004, 05:02 AM   #12
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark-o-cet
if ya get hooked on fenytal (the patch) if will assure you a trip to the hospital to get off it and when you get out there still will be w/ds no matter how you do it.good luck and leave it alone unless the pain is overwelming-spark
thanks for the info but this patch is really helping my pain tremendously i don't know what to do everyone is making me nervous are the w/ds worse then methadone because i went through that and was just curious if you know p.s. now i'm scared kelleigh

Old 05-18-2004, 05:23 AM   #13
(female)

angelbear1768 HB User

I was on the patch for about 2mos. Gave me absolutely no relief. Now on kadian 100mg only 5th day so far it isnt helping either. Yes the patch can be abused and yes it can be addicting but if you are in severe pain you need treatment. If your doc has you on the patch and the time comes you no longer need it he or she will help you wean down off of it. Dont be scared if you are going to a good doc for pain control just do what they tell you and dont abuse it and you will be fine(speaking as a nurse with fibro and severe back problems). Best of luck to you.

Old 05-18-2004, 05:29 AM   #14
Senior Veteran

no patience HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbear1768
I was on the patch for about 2mos. Gave me absolutely no relief. Now on kadian 100mg only 5th day so far it isnt helping either. Yes the patch can be abused and yes it can be addicting but if you are in severe pain you need treatment. If your doc has you on the patch and the time comes you no longer need it he or she will help you wean down off of it. Dont be scared if you are going to a good doc for pain control just do what they tell you and dont abuse it and you will be fine(speaking as a nurse with fibro and severe back problems). Best of luck to you.
thank you so much that makes me feel so much better thank you for your support and i hope you get some relief soon sounds like you have a pretty full plate thanks again luv kelleigh

Old 05-18-2004, 07:30 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Michelle - I've missed you terribly on these boards. I haven't been reading like I should and I know you haven't either...

Started the depression again yesterday. When will we find happiness?

Closed Thread