It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2004, 08:35 AM   #1

lilmissprissy72 HB User
Unhappy Lortab WITHDRAWS Please HELP!

Hello everyone,

I am new to this section of the board,I have back problems and found this board by pure accident.Maybe it is a blessing for me.To tell you a little about myself.I have a very addictive personality,I was once a cocain addict,smoking it was my perferance.I was up to a eight ball aday.I have been through treatment 3 times for abusing this drug.I have been off this drug now forr 10 years.Major hurdle i crossed for me.9 years ago I started to have back problems and i went to the dr,very reluctlant to ask for something for pain for my back.Well 4 years ago I was like ok, I will be ok, You see the pain was just that bad.I GAVE IN.I ask can i have something for pain.He was like well you are a recovering addict but you have 10 years clean,I believe it would be ok.Well at first I took them the way I was supposed to.3 aday.As time has went on I am up to seriously about 10 aday.I can't afford to go out and buy these pills they are like 5 buxs a piece here.A 50 dollar a day habit,doesn't sound to bad but it actually is.I am to the point I just don't know what to do.I honestly live in pain.But like today I am without I am soo sick.If anyone can tell me How long is these withdraws last and what can i do for them.Please Please I beg of you Please help me.I am to the point of just saying screw it maybe it is time for me to get of them....Any suggestion on helping easy the withdraws would be sooo honestly excepted I am soo sick!

Last edited by lilmissprissy72; 05-27-2004 at 06:21 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Re: Lortab WITHDRAWS Please HELP!

Rhonda!

Help is on the way--those who know about withdrawals--and there are many on this board--will see this note and get back to you. As it's Sunday, it's rather slow...not as many posters today...but there will be many who see this note later.

I've never taken Lortabs. But I think they're the equivalent of Vicodin, which I do take, at about 4-5 a day. There are several drugs to help withdrawal symptoms, but I've never tried them. One is called Clonidine, I think. And small doses of Klonipin (anti-anxiety) can help. You need a prescription I think for both of them. Also...an over-the-counter drug for stomach cramps, diarrhoea. Drat--I can't remember exactly what others have said. I also know hot baths help that "skin crawling" feeling.

But I promise there are so many really knowledgable people on here, who will tell you exact details--from medications that help---to a tapering plan--to emotional survival!

Posters have said, generally, that they feel disgusting for about a week after cold turkey withdrawal. First few days are really tough....then it gets easier. But each person is so different. When I've had no Vics, the worst of my symptoms was this throbbing sensation by the pulse at the bottom of the throat. And the "crawling out of my skin" feeling, where you can't concentrate--can't read, eat, talk, even MOVE, it's such an effort!! I've also had "twitchy" arms and legs...where you feel you have to keep "stretching" to relieve the symptoms. But I've been told by many that those drugs I've mentioned above will help alot.

Sure wish I could help you more...but I've just not done a complete withdrawal. I DO know the worst symptoms will subside from 3-7 days, depending on your own body chemistry. There are some great stories here from others who were just where you are now--and got through withdrawal--and are now feeling good about life again.

Posters will also tell you about alternatives to opiates that they used for their back pain. Do you have a pain management doctor? Does your doctor know you are out of pills and withdrawing?

You must be a very strong person if you stayed off cocaine for ten years...and I'm sure that will help greatly in your getting off the Lortabs. If you can get enough pills to taper...it may be easier for your body. Though some on the board say it's easier to just quit! I'd prefer a taper, myself. And a few people here can give you a good plan to follow.

Sorry if I can't be more specific with my info....but, soon you will hear from others about:

--tapering vs. cold turkey
--exact drugs to help you withdraw
--what symptoms to expect and for how long
--advice for the emotional ups and downs...and the cravings you will experience.
--and lots and lots of encouraging stories and strong support from posters who have been through what you are going through!

Meantime, you may want to:

-- look at the archives--or just scan through old posts--and read any stories that sound similar to yours.
-- take a hot bath right now!!! Many Board members swear by it.

Take care of yourself...and I'll check back to make certain others have seen your post.

Everyone here knows what you are going through..and will want to help.

Lynn :-)

Old 05-23-2004, 10:13 AM   #3
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

I definatley agree with Lynn, lots and lots of HOT baths is the key, it will help. Are you wanting to stop all together? Tapering was always hard for me to do. Clonidine helps with withdrawl but you have to have a script for that. Try some immodium. Do you have any muscle relaxers? The first three to five days are the worst. I know it seems like forever. Do you have any one there with you to give you back rubs and lots of pampering sometimes that seems to help. Try and drink some gatrerade and yogurt is good for you to, thats what they gave me in rehab. lots of gaterade! Hang in there , you can do it!

Old 05-23-2004, 11:33 AM   #4

lilmissprissy72 HB User

I know for a fact that the HOTS BATHS Help with the crawlie skin thing.Last week I had enough pills to last for like 5 days went through them and was with out AGAin,I didn't know what hit me about 10:30 that night it was as though there were ants under my skin.I thought to myself what is going on here.I got in a scalding hot tub it quit while i was in there and started back about 10 minutes after getting out.unfortunatly it wasn't long enough for me to go to sleep.I was up until 4 in the morning.Right Now it is like my eyes feel like I have fever.I am aching so bad all over.I don't know what to do....I caan't believe I have gotten myself in a mess like this.I have neurontin for my back as well,I guess and hope this will help me tonight sleeping.I never thought i had a problem until I realized i was running out of my meds 2 weeks early.What to do WHAT to do.I am soo sick.I called in to work today I guess I will just have to see what tonight brings.I don't think i could go be honest with my dr,in fear that he would never give me anything else for my herniated and torn disk,I just wonder if i could get back on my meds like I am supposed to take them.Or if it would be better to change drugs.I know cutting back requires disipline and since i have a addictive personality I wonder if I am just lying to myself.I just need some relief, I know time is really the only answer.Ty everyone for helping me through this terrible time.Your post means alot.Is there anything over the counter that i can get to help...Is the first day the worst,or does it get worse.

Last edited by lilmissprissy72; 05-27-2004 at 06:21 AM.

Old 05-23-2004, 11:56 AM   #5

lastyls HB User

Hi, it's usually pretty bad for first 2 days for me. Then better about the 3rd. I take Immodium AD not the (xra or plus) just plain immodium AD. You have to take about 3 at a time and exceed the max. dosage just for a couple days. I also use xanax to sleep (if no xanax or val. available use benadryl) and Robitussin MAX Strength Cough because it has the most DXM then the others. Plus use ibuprofin or advil for cramps/aches and a tylenol here and there mixed. Really go to the store, or preferably if you have someone to take you or get it FOR you is better, because I know it's all you can do to take yourself to the bathroom. But if I were you, I would let this ride out because w/d's get more vicious each time. I've done it on my own too many times til I had to learn no more narc's for me. Good luck! Also, ask your Dr. for ultram/tramodol,,,, I guess, but if you have 'addictive personality' may be wise to ask for something else

Last edited by lastyls; 05-23-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Old 05-23-2004, 12:06 PM   #6

lilmissprissy72 HB User

What is Dxm LOL,please tell me it is something to take away these withdraws,I feel so cold, My back hurts so bad.My blood pressure is up,My head is busting,OMG I feel like i am dying.I hope today is the worse it is gonna get. IGot up and tired to eat,and took a drive as suggested to keep busy,It helped for a minute took me away from focusing on the pain and withdraws,But I can't or don't feel like I can do anything else today.It is a chore when in it's self just to go to the bathroom.My daughter is so confused she knows I was a crack addict I have been totally honest with her..She is 13,She has no idea what is wrong with me today.She knows i take these meds,She is just used to me being the "perky" one driving kids here and there.Dont know what do tell her or if i should at all...My husban dwillnot help me at all..he said you got yourslef in it get yourself out of it.....All alone in this.Thank god for you all...

Last edited by lilmissprissy72; 05-27-2004 at 06:22 AM.

Old 05-23-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Rhonda....I have to go out right now...but I just wanted to say that if you don't have one, you really need a pain management doctor, who you will be comfortable in telling the truth about your addiction, etc. I've never told my regular doctor anything about pills, either. I have a very bad lower back...but not bad enough to require a pain doctor. I get the pills I do from my very generous cousin, who has true pain management problems (and a pain management doctor)--she's had spinal surgeries, etc.--but she always seems to have more pills that she needs. And doles them out to my sister and I. Crazy, strange addiction, isn't it? I don't even have to get my own pills!! And as they're not mine, it keeps the level I take them at way down.

People here say they tell their office they have the "flu" during their withdrawal weeks. I can't imagine working thru the first few days of withdrawal! Aaarrrggghhhh!! Your aches--and your crawling skin--are very familiar to me. When my cousin is waiting for her next monthly prescription--that means that I am waiting, too!!!

As for the first day being the worst? I'll bet it's different for everybody. But, mentally, it surely has to be the worst. You just kept wanting to reach for that bottle. It takes awhile to sink in. And you feel so desperate.

Okay, gotta go right now....but I'll check back tomorrow. Take care..... Hoping you feel a bit better later. Lynn

Old 05-23-2004, 12:42 PM   #8

lastyls HB User

Hi, DXM has a very long drug name,, but it was used to help w/d symtoms in 'real patients' in detox. It really helps with the overall achey draggy feeling. And as soon as I take Immodium AD 3 at a time the 'sweats/colds' go away and of course the diahrrhea. So you need 4 store bought things and it works! I have a teen boy and a 3 yr old daughter to keep up with,,,,I would not survive w/out this,,,,, send hubby whatever,,, Robitussin Maximum Strength COUGH, Immodium AD, Benadryl *if you don't have xanax/val, and advil/ibuprophin/tylenol.......and DRINK as much as you can preferrably water,,,,,,,Immodium Ad helps ease the 'shakes' too Keep us in touch

Last edited by lastyls; 05-23-2004 at 12:43 PM.

Old 05-23-2004, 02:19 PM   #9
(female)

DannDees HB User

You poor thing. Your post sounds oh so familliar. Just know that you are not dieing. stay strong. It is scary I know. If you look through my post you will see that I sounded as desperate as you and as the post go on , I got better. It seems like forever but once you are done you will be so proud of yourself for being strong enough to make it through it. I have very bad back pain but am not ever going to take another pill for it. We are all stronger then we think we are..You can do it..there is a post of hints to ease withdraw. Alll these things help but only time can make it better..stay strong and I will say a prayer to help you get through...

Old 05-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

You've got it by the A$$ now !!!! A few more days and you'll have that crap out of your system. A little puke, a little poo poo, some hallucinations, some sweat, some stomach ache, some insanity....then, you are free. The energy does come back...it ain't false opiate energy but it is the real thing....you know, like God made it. Hot baths and LOTS of water/powerade. I wouldn't worry about the Imodium unless you have to be somewhere and you want a cork in it. Exercise will help you get the energy back. It takes a while to return to normal but exercise and hydration will help. Massage and steambaths help too. Now it is a choice.....you never want to be dopesick again do you? Check out some NA or AA meetings for maintenance.

Great Job So Far...
W

Old 05-23-2004, 04:50 PM   #11

dschne HB User

One more thing that I would like to add that really helped when I tried C/T was a sauna going and sweating that crap out and the immodium does make you feel all around a tiny bit better just my 2cents...........

Old 05-23-2004, 04:52 PM   #12

dschne HB User

And I am also saying a prayer for you to help you be strong and make it through this..........Dan

Old 05-24-2004, 07:49 AM   #13

lilmissprissy72 HB User

pu67hhnokj

Last edited by lilmissprissy72; 05-27-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Old 05-24-2004, 08:50 AM   #14

lastyls HB User

Hi,,,, Please take immodium Ad it has to do with the mu receptors' that are all screwy too,,,,, and some Robittusin Cough, ibuprophin,,,,,,,you'll be able to work w/it believe me I'm a hands on customer service provider and it will help you MAKE IT. Don't fall in the 10 pill trap all it's gonna do is take you straight back to day 1 w/out but WORSE ....thinking about ya, you can do this!

Old 05-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #15

lilmissprissy72 HB User

I don't know why I found this board,But i guess i had someone up stairs who was looking out for me. I am gonna try to find some kind of energy to get to the store and get the things that have been suggested.I just hope i doesn't make me sleepy.I look after a ederly lady and I can't go to sleep until she does at 8 tonight.So I can't take anything that is gonna make me sleepy she needs me to Lift her,and everything.She is totally dependant upon me.Boy If she only knew how dependent I was upon someone else right now.Today seems alittle better and the fever in my eyes is better,I guess i can say the food doesn't agree with me and my stomach right now.I am not having as bad as back pain right now as i was having yesterday.But i Hvae talked myself out of picking that phone up endless times today.I guess I know in the back of my head the hell I have already gone through and if I start all over again,I will just have to go through it again.If I have to say minute by minute i can do this,Then that is what I am gonna have to do.This DRUG is endless in withdraws,and it is no respecter of person,as i am finding out...Ty soo much everyone for your care and concern.I am gonna try my best to get to the store.

Last edited by lilmissprissy72; 05-27-2004 at 06:24 AM.

Closed Thread