It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2004, 03:23 PM   #1

relativist HB User
Done with Marijuana - My addiction story

Well, today it's been 6 and a half weeks since I stopped smoking the herb. I'm 19 now and I hit my first joint when I was 10 years old. I smoked socially until about the age of 14, when I got a part-time job and could afford to do it everyday. I was an extremely heavy smoker for the next five years, consuming over an ounce a week, which means I smoked at least 5 times a day. It definitely affected my social life, since all my friends had to be smokers, too. Although I tried many other drugs, nothing kept my interest like pot. It was just so cheap and readily available, as well as it was widely accepted. My parents didn't even know I smoked until I was 17. I was always a relatively smart kid who got good grades and participated in athletics, and I just saw pot as a sort of hobby.

Little did I know how much it was messing with my head. Looking back on my times of use, I see how paranoid I was when I was constantly stoned. I would smoke up before and during school, and if I was around people who weren't high I would assume they were watching me meticulously and judging my every move. This had a very nagative impact on my social life. Sometimes I would get depressed because I couldn't find a girl, and I would go on these extended smoking binges that would leave me stoned for days. I don't think I went a day without smoking for five years. Eventually, it had an incredibly detrimental impact on my lungs, and I now know I have asthma, probably caused by such heavy marijuana use.

I know people like to downplay the effects of marijuana and say that it is relatively harmelss, but the fact is that something being "relatively harmless" is still harmful. It is still stupid to indulge in something that will only get you "high" for a brief period of time in exchange for so many obvious harmful side effects. I realized that there were much more productive things I could be doing with my time, other than waiting for an opportunity to toke up. I must admit, I lost many of my friends due to my decision to give up all drugs, including alcohol, but I had to take the initiative to change my life. Sure it was hard and sure there have been withdrawals, such as insomnia, anxiety and decreased apetite, but the hardest things in life are usually the most worth doing.

Now, I'm in a life transition phase that is really exciting for me. I used pot for nine years! NINE YEARS! Being only 19, that makes it almost half of my life. For the first time since I can remember, my head is clear and my memory is starting to improve. I'm more graceful in social situations without that paranoia, and I just got a great job that I could only have by passing a drug test. I know it may sound hokey, but I do have a new lease on life. It feels great not revolving around a substance. It's just kind of hard since I'm in college now, and there are so many people just getting into the use of substances. I don't think I'll have any problem abstaining, though, because I've never been happier with myself or my life. I just thought I'd share my story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-24-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran

Pootsi HB User
Re: Done with Marijuana - My addiction story

Congratulations!
Thank you for sharing your story
Hopefully, it will help people that want to change and wonder if it's worth it or not.
It really does feel better, inside and out, to be clean without any mind altering substances. All of it is just an escape... that just makes you feel worse about yourself and keeps you from growing. It takes a lot of guts to be real and stay real and learn to deal with the ups and downs head on. I believe you become stronger and wiser and it feels good to not have to depend on a substance to feel whole or happy. You do become a lot more confident around people and skills are improved big time, naturally. And it's good to have control of your mind and emotions. Speaking of mind, it's nice to have a mind of your own to. If someone treats you bad because you don't smoke or drink with them, then they obviously don't respect you and are just more concerned for themselves.
Take care

Old 05-25-2004, 11:22 PM   #3
Inactive

doggreensector HB User
Re: Done with Marijuana - My addiction story

Thank you for sharing your story, I can honestly say that it is an inspiration to me and I am 46. I have had a heck of a time staying off of vicodin for the past year. Your story actually is inspiring me to do what you did and go through some of the uncomfortability that comes with staying away from substances.

My hat is off to you. Stopping any substance is hard, and reisisting the temptation to fall into the same patterns can be a challenge. However it is people like you telling people like me that being high is a big fat waste of time, that helps.

I am going to stop the vikes again tommorrow. I will think of your story when the wd's don't feel so hot.

To the extent that some have a problem with that fact that you no longer want to smoke pot or drink anymore, that is really their problem.

Keith

Closed Thread