It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2004, 09:51 PM   #1

MommyT777 HB User
Unhappy A Serious Question To Anyone Listening!

My name is Tracy and I am a serious Percocet addict. I just got out of detox about 6 weeks ago and I have been fine until now. I have a mouth full of bad teeth and have been in serious pain for about 2 weeks off and on. My question is: Has anyone else had this happen to them yet and if so, how did you deal with it? Tylenol only helps sometimes and I have been taking antibiotics with very little relief. I also do not have dental insurance or money to get this fixed. I also have TMJ which is aggrivating the whole situation. I'm very frustrated and at wits end because I am trying not to go into stinkin' thinkin' but I am in serious pain! Help!!!

Any suggestions welcome with open arms~
Tracy

Old 05-25-2004, 11:17 PM   #2
(female)

lovey1 HB User
Re: A Serious Question To Anyone Listening!

Hi Tracy, Welcome to the boards, I'm sure you'll find much support here and everyone will make you feel right at home. I'm not sure what your question is but I'm assuming you're wondering if it would be alright to use hydro for relief of pain in your mouth. I'm certainly not an expert, but I would definately not go back to using narcotics under any circumstances!! There are other drugs on the market that will help and are not addictive. Myself, I have found that taking ibuprofen at prescription strength (800mg) to be quite effective. I know that tylenol alone is not effective for me. I know what it feels like to be in severe pain and not be able to take what I know will work for me, hydrocodone. But it's just not worth the risk... Congratulations on 6 weeks clean!!
Mary Beth

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2004, 04:07 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hey Mommy,

I just had a suggestion or two that may help you with the mouth pain.Our insurance dosen't cover dental either and there have been times where i had a real bad tooth and would just try and tough it out by using other means besides narcotics.If you get a bottle of listerine or the generic equvalent,and swish this around in your mouth for at least 30 seconds,since it contains alcohol, it will help to anesthitize(sp?)the gums,since alcohol is an anesthetic.This is by far the best thing to use for any type of mouth pain.You will have to repeat as nessecsary,and it tastes rather nasty,but it works extremely well.also any type of medication that contains an anti inflammitory like motrin is much better than taking tylenol for this type of pain.I have trouble in taking any ani inflammitory anymore as I was using way too much a couple of years ago to treat a herniated disc,so my Dr rxed a med called cytotec?You take it when you take the motrin and it helps prevent the burning ,boring stomach pain that some people get(like me) when they have to use the AI drugs for pain.it really does work.Then there is always anbesol that comes in that little tube that you usually use on children when they have teething pain?

I really hope that you find something that helps in some of these suggestions as i know just how bad mouth pain can be.The listerine thing is really the best thing that worked most effectively for me.Try it,you will see a big difference in the amount of pain that you feel.Good luck,and let me know if this works for you.Take care mommy, Marcia

Old 05-26-2004, 04:24 AM   #4
Inactive

mise ata ann HB User

Tracy

I am from UK where we get all get free dental work on our National Health System (when is US going to get one in place?) and so I am naive about how you go about getting the dental work done - for done it must be. The pain won't go away until you do. And you place yourself in such danger if you have chronic pain. Mild analgesics and anti inflammatories will only help temporarily and not too well or for too long. You have to find a long term solution. So - I think it must be a priority to get the dental work done and be rid of the pain. Is there no way for ordinary (but uninsured) people to get treatment? Surely there must be some dentists who are willing to put the patient first and think about the money later? Welfare dentists, whatever? Can you approach a dental surgeon and explain your situation and request treatment? No harm in asking? If its money that is the problem - can you borrow from a rellie, a bank, a friend? In the long run it will perhaps be cheaper to get the dental work done than end up back in the vicious circle of addiction.
Sorry cant be more helpful but I wish you a positive solution.
Don't risk your young healthy sobriety.
Mise

Old 05-26-2004, 04:39 AM   #5

Debbie Fulton HB User

When I offer my pain (physical, mental, spiritual) up to the Physician in the SKY, and everywhere, I fine relief. REMEMBER belief means reliance not defiance,,,, fire all false GODS, and find peace. Love and Prayers

Old 05-26-2004, 05:02 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

I've got the same problem here. I destroyed my teeth with all the crap I put in my body. There should be a dentist out there who will take your case and do an installment plan. I told my dentist about my problem and I said that I wanted NO opiates. The listerine trick does help a lot. Save up some $$ and go get the teeth checked out so that you know what you need done. Call the local dentistry school and see about getting the work done there...it is free but it might have a waiting list. Here in Louisiana we have charity hospitals(free). Like the UK it is socialized medicine....bureaucratic crap....but free here in Louisiana. Call your local universities and ask where the dental schools are.

listerine and ibuprofen...these help.

Old 05-26-2004, 05:35 AM   #7

MommyT777 HB User

Good morning all and thank you for the suggestions! I tried the Listerine and it did help considerably! I'm having my b/f go get some ibuprofen as I write! I'm feeling alot better this morning. For some reason at night the pain gets worse. And that's when I freak out!!

In FL we have medicaid that does cover some dental work but I am not eligible for it I'm gonna check out the dental school thing here in a little while. I just wanted to say thank you to all who responded. Lots of hugs to all and have a great sober day!

Tracy

Old 05-27-2004, 05:46 PM   #8

User 205000 HB User

Tracy, for dental pain, my dentist says that anaprox is the best non-narcotic. I'll admit it didn't do much for me, but it may help you. Better yet, find some way to get your teeth fixed before you loose them all. You must cure the cause, not the symptoms. I'm sure you can find a dentist who will put you on a payment plan. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:55 PM   #9

Nervous Nellie HB User

Hi Tracy (Mommy),

I agree with Mise in that your tooth pain is likely not going to go away by itself. Taking pain killers will get you through the pain, but it won't fix the problem.

If your teeth are as "bad" as you mentioned, you probably have infections that will continue to reoccur until you have proper antibiotic treatment and cleaning and general "fixing up".

I am not familiar with the US health system, but I also hope you have other options. It's not cool to live with this and you truly need to look after "you".

Best wishes,
Nellie

Old 05-31-2004, 09:51 PM   #10
Veteran

howard678 HB User

There are government subsidized dental clinics that charge based on your income. The cost is either zero or a mere fraction of what a regular dentist would charge, just as there are health clinics that do the same. Try some social service numbers in the phone book to try and locate one. It may take a while to get an appointment. Also, if you are in extreme pain, even dental, you can show up at any hospital emergency room. They have oral surgeons on call. It is unlawful for them to turn you away because you do not have insurance. Yes, they will bill you, but you can pay what you can. Of course you cannot squeeze blood out of a turnip.

Closed Thread