It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-28-2004, 06:19 AM   #1

cat lover HB User
Some Answers Please

Hi, I have been taking Soma with Codeine for about a year, on Saturday, I quit them. But on Sunday I need a lift so I took one tyelnol 4 and Monday half of tylenol 3.
Haven't had anything since then. I want to quit.
The nausea, head pressure, sleeplessness, loss of appetite are getting to me. The head pressure has subsided but the other continue. My mood was great on Tuesday and Wednesday, but yesterday and today I fell lethargic.
I am not eating, drinking a lot. I feel weak.
I called my doctor on Wednesday and he just said to take Pepto, I did but the nausea was still there, so yesterday he prescibed a blue capsule pill, it really doesn't help.
I told him I quit the Soma and he said I am definately going through WD, but didn't mention about giving me anything to help other than what he ordered.
How long do these symptons last and will I ever get better. I felt so good about myself on Tuesday, felt free from these pills that took over my life. But now I feel like crap. I don't want any, but I just want to get better soon. I had to take some time off from work.
I just am curious as to how long I am going to have these symptoms. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I am not alone, my husband is supporting me through this, but I think I need something else for my symtoms. Thanks for any replies.

Old 05-28-2004, 06:26 AM   #2
Inactive

John 808 HB User
Re: Some Answers Please

Been there, done that!

Well, sounds like your doctor is not going to prescribe anything else, I will skip the prescription meds that would help get you through this.

Over the counter meds that will help:
-Motrin or Advil for the aches (and your head pressure)
-Epsom salt for hot,hot baths (will help with aches and restless legs)
-Immodium for tummy problems
-L-Tyrosine and Bcomplex vitamins for energy and lethargy

Try to exercise as much as you can. I know you don't feel like it, but you have to get your natural endorphins going- K?

Hang in there- the physical crap will subside in about 3-4 days and then you will be left with lethargy and possibly some mild depression. Again, EXERCISE!

Take care and know, this too, shall pass!
miche

Last edited by John 808; 05-28-2004 at 06:26 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 AM   #3

jenny1973 HB User

Honestly my second week was the worst. I was in a medical detox for the first week and the meds they gave me probably helped with the physical withdrawls. Unfortunately you just have to let your body do its thing. It will pass..I promise you! Just stick it out. I did go to the juice bar every morning and get my daily shot of wheatgrass. Don't really know if it helped, but it did feel good knowing I was putting something good in my body for once. For the sleeplessness take epsom salt baths. They also help with the muscle aches. I was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night and the first night I took an epsom salt bath I slept 7 hours straight. There are things that will help a little bit, but for the most part you just have to grin and bear it. Just keep telling yourself that it will get better and soon you will be free of these pills!! Keep it up!
Jenny

Old 05-28-2004, 09:07 AM   #4

cat lover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 3:16
Been there, done that!

Well, sounds like your doctor is not going to prescribe anything else, I will skip the prescription meds that would help get you through this.

Over the counter meds that will help:
-Motrin or Advil for the aches (and your head pressure)
-Epsom salt for hot,hot baths (will help with aches and restless legs)
-Immodium for tummy problems
-L-Tyrosine and Bcomplex vitamins for energy and lethargy

Try to exercise as much as you can. I know you don't feel like it, but you have to get your natural endorphins going- K?

Hang in there- the physical crap will subside in about 3-4 days and then you will be left with lethargy and possibly some mild depression. Again, EXERCISE!

Take care and know, this too, shall pass!
miche

Old 05-28-2004, 09:10 AM   #5

cat lover HB User

Thank you for your reply. I will get the things you mentioned today, or I will have my husband get them.
What is L Tyrosine????
I am also worried about when my appetite will return, I always loved to eat and I am forcing myself now. Yesterday it was a piece of dry toast in the morning and soup for supper. Hardly got both down.
When I got up this morning the pressure in my head was gone and now it is back, is this normal????
Thanks again. CL

Old 05-28-2004, 09:12 AM   #6

cat lover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny1973
Honestly my second week was the worst. I was in a medical detox for the first week and the meds they gave me probably helped with the physical withdrawls. Unfortunately you just have to let your body do its thing. It will pass..I promise you! Just stick it out. I did go to the juice bar every morning and get my daily shot of wheatgrass. Don't really know if it helped, but it did feel good knowing I was putting something good in my body for once. For the sleeplessness take epsom salt baths. They also help with the muscle aches. I was only sleeping 2-3 hours a night and the first night I took an epsom salt bath I slept 7 hours straight. There are things that will help a little bit, but for the most part you just have to grin and bear it. Just keep telling yourself that it will get better and soon you will be free of these pills!! Keep it up!
Jenny

Old 05-28-2004, 09:16 AM   #7

cat lover HB User

That sounds like me sleeping on two or three hours. Last night it was a whole 4 hours, with an intermission in between. Not a straight sleep.
I am going to try the epsom salts, the sleeplessness and nausea are bad right now.
Are you telling me that next week should be worse for me???? Oh, I hope not, do you mean depression etc????
Thank you so much for your reply. CL

Old 05-28-2004, 11:59 AM   #8

jenny1973 HB User

The first week wasn't too bad for me cause I was in detox and they were giving me clonadine, valium and flexeril. Once I got home and had nothing it was really tough for me. Mainly i just had no energy and couldn't sleep. Still had the restless leg thing too. Wasn't really depressed just felt yucky. I can't explain it. I was also back in my environment having to take care of 3 kids and a house. Doing all that without pills and still dealing with withdrawls (mild) and no sleep was just very trying. If I would have had pills in the house I would have relapsed for sure. Luckily I threw it all out and my husband put a password on the computer so I couldn't order more. I think your physical w/ds will subside in the 1st week. Also..don't worry you will get your appetite back. I eat all the time now and have probably gained 5 pounds in the past month which is alot for me since I am so tiny.
Jenny

Old 05-28-2004, 02:00 PM   #9

Twist Of Fate! HB User

If you're just taking Tylenol 3 or Soma /w Codeine, the nausea and anorexia should have subsided by now, You may have sleep and pain issues for a while though, can I ask if you smoke?

CADE

Old 05-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #10
Inactive

John 808 HB User

CL,

L-Tyrosine is an amnio acid that helps with your energy level. Also, ask your doctor if he would be willing to give you B12 shots for your energy level- I get them every 3 months (give or take a little) and they help some.

You should be feeling better in the next couple of days! Hang in there!

michelle

Old 05-29-2004, 06:41 AM   #11

cat lover HB User

Actually my nausea subsided yesterday afternoon, I was able to eat two bananas, and some mashed potatoes. And I fell asleep at 11:30 and got up at 3 then fell back to sleep until 7. That was such a difference from having only two or three hours of sleep.
Yesterday morning I started drinking Diet Pepsi, instead of my Diet Snapple Iced Tea, I just couldn't get that down, but I heard that cola is good for nausea so I am drinking that. I wonder if coming off of caffeine also would have caused some of my head symptoms???? I usually drink a tea, coffee, diet snapple in the mornings, and I couldn't do that this week.
Yes, I am a smoker, but I didn't even want to smoke that much this week, it was just too upsetting to my system. Thanks for your reply. CL

Old 05-29-2004, 03:58 PM   #12

Twist Of Fate! HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat lover
Actually my nausea subsided yesterday afternoon, I was able to eat two bananas, and some mashed potatoes. And I fell asleep at 11:30 and got up at 3 then fell back to sleep until 7. That was such a difference from having only two or three hours of sleep.
Yesterday morning I started drinking Diet Pepsi, instead of my Diet Snapple Iced Tea, I just couldn't get that down, but I heard that cola is good for nausea so I am drinking that. I wonder if coming off of caffeine also would have caused some of my head symptoms???? I usually drink a tea, coffee, diet snapple in the mornings, and I couldn't do that this week.
Yes, I am a smoker, but I didn't even want to smoke that much this week, it was just too upsetting to my system. Thanks for your reply. CL
Yeah when not eating, smoking can burn up the tummy and kill the appetite, That's why I asked. I can see where you're coming from not wanting to smoke much during the withdrawl, It kinda takes the (Nicotine/codeine) sensation away.

If you're a big Soda or Coffee drinker, caffeine withdrawal will give you migraines like you wouldnt believe! Ginger Ale & Gaterade work quite well, im not a strong believer in aspertame and they really dont condone "diet pepsi" in the recovery centers. "very fuuny story's about people smuggling them in" Green Tea also works quite well. Best of luck, keep us posted....

CADE

Old 05-31-2004, 09:42 PM   #13

Murphy555 HB User

Cat Lover (me too!)

I just read this thread and all the things you mentioned are to be expected.

I wanted to add one thing for "nausea". I had started to take vitamin pills and for some reason, the combination of them made me extremely nauseous every day. I mentioned it to my psychiatrist - and he said - try getting 'ginger' at a health foods store. So I got the capsule kind and took it with my vitamins - and the nausea disappeared. It was amazing. So that could be one thing you can try.

More of a heavy duty thing for nausea is phenergan. I believe it is a prescription though. It also makes you sleepy so you it would help you sleep for a little while. Once I had a food poisoning and was in the bathroom every 10 minutes; I couldn't stop being nauseous. An advice nurse called in Phenergan suppositories; and after 10 hours of torture, the nausea went away and I fell into a deep sleep until the worst was over.

Just some thoughts.

Murphy

Old 06-05-2004, 06:19 AM   #14

cat lover HB User

Just wanted to let you all know that my withdrawal is over!!!! It has been almost two weeks without any pills!!!! So happy. I knew they were controlling my life and I had to stop. I went to work this week, and did my job without any ill side effects.
I feel much better about myself without those nasty pills. I know I was relying on them, even when the pain wasn't there.
I made it through withdrawal and that is the most important part. I even called a clinic and they said I should come to a group therapy session three times a week. That might be good for some people but I had my support from my husband, son and people on the internet. I want to thank you all for your support and answers to my questions. I am so happy you were there for me.
That first week was the worst of my life. I never thought it would end. The nausea and sleeplessness and anorexia were the worst I have every experienced. I have made a commitment that I will never go through that again. I can not leave out the power of prayer either.
My husband has noticed the change in me since I am off of the pills. I am more energetic and do not sleep all the time. I can now see things more clearly and I love it.
I will check back periodically and report my progress. I just wanted to thank you all for your replys. I was on a very bad physical and mental roller coaster ride and you helped me out. Really no words can express how grateful I am. Good luck to everyone. If I can do it, so can you. CL

Closed Thread