It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 07:55 AM   #1
(female)

noobie HB User
how to detox ?

Okay so I had a talk with AH's mom and she and I decided to set up a confrontation with our A and his grandma and sister. We decided we would confront him with the addiction and if he wouldn't agree to treatment we were going to have him commited. Well, his Dad went ahead and told him our plan a couple days ago and he broke down. He said he knows he needs help and he wants help and wanted to be brought to treatment right then and there. Unfortunatly in our city there is no treatment facility where you can just show up but I did get him an assessment appointment for the second week in June. I also phoned his Dr. whom had just prescribed him Vic's last week and I told him he is an addict and he wants help quitting and explained that his appointment with the Drug Treatment facility was awhile away and he really wants to stop now. I also asked him about prescribing something for the withdrawels and he said that was a possibility. I guess what I'm wondering is what is the best way to detox? He keeps using bec ause he can't stand the withdrawels so would the methadone route be the best way? He'll see his Dr. on Wednesday. Any advice would be helpful.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:20 AM   #2

MommyT777 HB User
Re: how to detox ?

Hi noobie! Welcome! I want to start by asking: Is he ready to give the pills up? How long has he been taking them? If he is not ready to get them out of his life completely and feels he is doing this to please other people he may go through the detox but will he continue to STAY off of them? Getting clean is both mental and physical in soo many ways. I would definately suggest that he attend counseling and or NA meetings- they really do help alot. I am saying all this from experience and am offering advice, I hope you don't take my post as discouragement! If he is ready then I know he can do it!

Suggestions for the doc- Clonadine, they gave it to me in detox, it's for high blood pressure but it helps considerably with the w/d for some reason. Benadryl, it helps too and is also for sleep. He probably won't be sleeping much. Hot showers if he can. And vitamin B-12. Oh, and lots of help and support, which it already sounds like he has! Just bear with him, this is gonna be one of the hardest things he will ever have to go through. Trust me, I've been there done that, and if he can do this at home, he is a stronger person than I am! I had to go to a detox, but it works if you work it!!!!

I'm not gonna suggest the methadone route,although others may disagree. He will get addicted to methadone and may drag out an inevitable case of w/d. Sometimes I think others have said methadone is harder to kick than Vics. I couldn't do methadone because my drug program wouldn't let me and it was too expensive. $9.00 a dose. Anyways, I wish you all the best of luck in whatever you decide and please let us know how you're doing!

Prayers And Hugs To All~
Tracy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 08:24 AM   #3
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Noobie, How long has this person been using? I would not go the Methadone route at all!! That should only be used as a last resort, and for chronic relapsers that cant stay clean. Methadone is very very hard to come off of. It is a powerful drug! Just try and keep this person comfortable untill you see the doc. Does this person have enough pills untill the appt.? Maybe you could have someone hold on to the pills and give them as needed. How many does this person take daily? Untill your appt. try and attend some NA meetings, you have a very long road ahead of you, but it can be done!

Old 05-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #4
(female)

noobie HB User

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. He's been taking Vic's, oxycodone, oxycontin, and God only knows what else. He told me the other day he snorts the oxycontin!! He's been doing this a little over a year I'd say. He's ready, or so he says. He says he's sick of living like this and wants his old self back.
Does anyone else have anything to say about methadone and does anyone know of anything else cheaper that works the same? Thanks.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:33 AM   #5
(female)

noobie HB User

I'm not sure exactly how much... I heard he had told someone awhile ago he took 25 lortabs at once. All I know is he has spent every last dime he has on these pills.

Old 05-30-2004, 08:56 AM   #6
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

He definatly needs to go to some NA meetings, thats a must! This is a very powerful disease and hes gonna need all the help he can get. Have you heard of the drug Suboxone? That might be an option, but again I think it should only be used as a last resort. Is this his first try at sobriety? They are now using suboxoxne in detox facilities to help with the withdrawl and it does indeed help. Will he be going in inpatient? Can I ask how old this person is? It sounds like he has a lot of support, and that is very important. He needs that right now.

Old 05-30-2004, 12:34 PM   #7
(female)

noobie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIMBEE
He definatly needs to go to some NA meetings, thats a must! This is a very powerful disease and hes gonna need all the help he can get. Have you heard of the drug Suboxone? That might be an option, but again I think it should only be used as a last resort. Is this his first try at sobriety? They are now using suboxoxne in detox facilities to help with the withdrawl and it does indeed help. Will he be going in inpatient? Can I ask how old this person is? It sounds like he has a lot of support, and that is very important. He needs that right now.
Hi, yes I've read a little about the Suboxone and I'll have him mention that to his Dr. He has tried to quit a few times and even went close to a month before he started using again so no this isn't the first time. He just craves them so bad he can't stop so I'm hoping that the Dr. can give him something for the cravings. After his assessment with the Drug Treatment Facility they'll decide which route of treatment will be best for him. I really hope he doesn't have to do inpatient but if that's what it takes so be it. He's 25 years old and we have 3 kids. I'll definitly stand by his side and help him overcome this thing. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-05-2004, 06:25 AM   #8

cat lover HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobie
Hi, yes I've read a little about the Suboxone and I'll have him mention that to his Dr. He has tried to quit a few times and even went close to a month before he started using again so no this isn't the first time. He just craves them so bad he can't stop so I'm hoping that the Dr. can give him something for the cravings. After his assessment with the Drug Treatment Facility they'll decide which route of treatment will be best for him. I really hope he doesn't have to do inpatient but if that's what it takes so be it. He's 25 years old and we have 3 kids. I'll definitly stand by his side and help him overcome this thing. Thanks for the help.

Old 06-05-2004, 06:31 AM   #9

cat lover HB User

Hi, I posted on here two weeks ago, I was taking Soma with Codeine for a little less than a year. I was hooked!!!! I took them even when the pain wasn't there.

I decided that I needed to get off of them.I did my detox at home. I got a slip from the doctor not to return to work. It was one of the worst weeks of my life. The nausea, sleeplessness, and anorexia are so bad. I didn't think it would end. But with the support of family and prayers I made it. The worst is over and I feel so good.
He might need more help than me, but he can do it. I know what he is going through. And the detox is bad, but with your support he will make it.
I wish you all the luck and prayers and I hope he can get the help he needs. You must stand by him, and let him know that he is loved. That is one important part of detox, just don't ever put him down verbally, because he really needs you now. Good Luck. CL

Old 06-05-2004, 08:52 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

chefob1 HB User

i used to take 50 lortabs a day....i am on methadone...i was on suboxxone/buprenex for four years but went to the methadone....there is a lot of falsehoods to what folks say about methadone...if you detox off of it,it is as hard as any other opiate and i know this first hand...i can share aal/any part of my recovery with what you might need to know...suboxone is a good maintance narcotic,just like methadone it will stave off the w/d's,but you must detox off of it too...all opiates carry with them the w/d syndrome....its good he got to step one...a/a or n/a mtgs are a must if he wants to recover completely....opiate addiction is a life long disease that must be understood that every day we wake up we have to realize that some of us have this disease...and it must be treated as such.....chef

Closed Thread