It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2004, 05:08 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

mochi* HB Usermochi* HB User
Exclamation please help!

Hi, I am a recent alcoholic, I think. I started drinking almost daily, at night alone, usually about 5 months ago when I got out of a long-term relationship. I was using alcohol to avoid insomnia and anxiety. However, this got out of hand. I have been drinking too much too often. Often I drink alone about 1-3 drinks a night. The times I have gotten drunk with friends, I have gotten TRASHED, and acted ridiculously, and I do not stop drinking until I am passed out. After an embaressing evening last week, I decided to quit alcohol altogether. This lasted about 4 days, then I started up again with 1-3 drinks a night, and then two nights ago I freaked out. I had a really emotional day, and came after the bars closed (where I only had one drink!) and at 3 am drank an entire bottle of wine, not intending to drink more than a glass. I was up until 8 am, called my ex-boyfriend at 6 am, and took a sleeping pill. I scared the cr@* out of myself. I had to have a friend come over at 7 am because I was so scared that I had taken too much. I am okay now, except for the lindering guilt and pain of the previous evening. So, I could really use some advice. I have never behaved like this before, I am so ashamed, and upset with myself, and afraid. I have decided to quit drinking 100% and told all of my friends not to let me have any. But, I guess I am looking for some reassurance. How dangerous is it to take Tylenol PM's with alcohol? I still feel so exhausted and out of it, and it's been about two days. Can alcohol really make you so crazy? I never would have done some of the things I did if I was sober. Advice, please!!!!!! thanks for any help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2004, 06:03 PM   #2
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User
Re: please help!

Quote:
Can alcohol really make you so crazy?
Yes.
You need to go to AA immediately,you can find them in your local phone book and probably online as well.This is not something you can do on your own and with just the help of people around you.You need the help of trained professionals and people who have been through addiction and a support group.THIS IS IMPORTANT,nip it in the bud before it's too late.It couldn't hurt just to talk to someone about this.Also i recommend looking up addiction and disease online and reading up on it.

If you are having problems with insomnia and anxiety,i would suggest seeing a doctor and being put on medication,rather than self medicating with alcohol,etc.As far as taking Tylenol PM's with alcohol,BAD,the pain reliever taken with alcohol can cause liver damage.Buy the sleeping pills that don't contain any pain reliever,the secret ingredient in all those over the counter sleeping pills is benadril.There is no harm in taking them on a regular basis but your body builds a tolerance after a while and they don't work anymore,or you need more and more to get the same effect,so your better off without the pain reliever.Whew! I hope you get through this and find the help you need.Take care.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:19 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Green FAIRY, THANKS FOR YOUR ADVICE. I have already found afriend to go with me to AA tomorrow, so that is a step.
I am alittle worried that I have caused some severe damage to my liver, from the other night. Is there any reason for me to worry about it? Should I bother going to the doctor to get checked out, or am I just being paranoid? I keep panicking that I am suddenly going to have liver failure or a heart attack or somerthing. Ridiculous, I know. But is there any threat of this after a day has passed since i took the Tylenol PM with the lots of wine?

Old 05-30-2004, 06:30 PM   #4
(female)

greenfairy84 HB User

It's great that you are going to AA.Have you been having pain since that night? How many pills did you take? I think it might be good idea to go to a doctor anyway and have an anti anxiety prescribed,it might really help you with the insonmia and other anxiety problems as well.I was online the other night looking up why addiction is considered a disease because some people were having an argument that it isn't a disease and it was very intresting,i'd recommend anyone dealing with addiction to look that up.

Old 05-30-2004, 06:53 PM   #5

rockingham HB User

it is very unlikely you have done any damage to your liver or any part of your body, it has fantastic ability to take abuse. what you did was not good but it wasnt a worst case scenario at all. i can understand the panic and worry though. when i was first using vicodin, one night i was very afraid i had taken way too much. in actuality though i hadnt come anywhere close to the level of usage i would later reach. it was just me freaking out because i was inexperienced and just did not know. rest your mind on the damage factor. it also sounded like there might be some counseling in store. its helped me. it might help you come to deal with the issues that truly are making you want to drink in order to avoid dealing with the reality of your life. the main thing i want to convey now is that you are ok and will not suddenly have something happen. the alcohol has passed out of your system.

NA people and AA people have a saying to help deal with life when you are having a hard time..."just for today" it helps to remember that its only a temporary thing your dealing with and it will pass in due time. sometimes its not easy but you do your best. if its real bad break it down into "just for an hour" or even minutes. we do what we have to do to get on with our lives.

good luck with your future mochi!

Old 05-31-2004, 10:59 AM   #6

staceyy HB User

Monci, first beating your self up for what life bring to you need th STOP!!!! Second go to a meeting your knew at this you can get it together befor things really get bad! Cry if you need to find stupid thing that make you laugh these are the most healing out of anything that you are going through Stay in touch with us we have all been through what is happening to you so we understand how painful this is for you
Goddess Bless
Stacey

Last edited by staceyy; 05-31-2004 at 11:00 AM.

Old 06-01-2004, 01:54 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all your help, it is so nice of you to take the time to write. I went to my first AA meeting today, and everyone was so nice and welconming. I felt a little panicky at first, because I am ashamed/afraid of my addiction. Overall, it was really reassuring. I get really panicky at night though, becuase that is when I ususally drink. My ex-boyfriend used to be the only one who could calm me down when I had anxiety attacks, and since our break up, alcohol has been the only thing that has helped to calm me down. I am going to start threapy too, so guess I'm on the road to recovery. It is hard not to beat myself up though, but I know it is stupid to. Thanks again all of you!

Last edited by mochi*; 06-01-2004 at 01:55 AM.

Old 06-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #8

Twist Of Fate! HB User

for future reference, if you ever go on another bender or if you haven't stopped drinking yet. Call your substance abuse provider or look one up in the phone book BEFORE you look up AA please. You never know how your body is going to react to abrupt withdrawal.

CADE

Closed Thread