It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 02:38 PM   #1

fisherpard HB User
Started Suboxone today.

I just got back from the Doctor and a weeks prescription of Suboxone. She started me on 4mg in the morning and 4mg in the afternoon. Is this around the normal because I feel it is not enough? My cravings might be a little less but really not what I expected. She said she may go to 8 in the morning and 8 in the afternoon next week.
My office visit was $210 and the weeks supply of Sub was $36. Her next visit will be around $90. I have to go once a week for the next 4 weeks and then she said maybe once a month for the next several months. Is this about average for everyone? Please remember me in your prayers and especially my family. We all know how hard we are to our families!

thanks,
fisherman

Old 06-01-2004, 03:59 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User
Re: Started Suboxone today.

what was your habit up to and do you have chronic pain.you might be makin a mistake with the sub if you are not an addict-spark

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2004, 04:15 PM   #3

tryinmybest HB User

Fisherpad,

8 mg's a day should keep the withdrawals at bay. I was on sub for around 7 months. My dose was 4mg. I stayed on 4 for most of the time. I then went down to 1/2-1 mg. That wasn't really that hard at all. The real test is from there to zero. It was no day at the beach. I was using about 100 mg of hydro. I am a long term heroin addict. I was clean for years. I relapsed and jumped on sub after six months. There is no euphoria on sub. You just don't get sick. My advice is stay on a low dose. The costs seem about right. I don't know for sure as my insurance paid for mine. I received 30 day supplies each visit. Good luck!

TMB

Old 06-01-2004, 06:36 PM   #4

Murphy555 HB User

Fisher,

I also just re-started suboxone, and my doc prescribed 4mg in AM, 4 in PM, but I found myself craving and headachy in the middle of the day, so I've been cutting them in quarters and taking 2 mg at intervals during the day; wind up taking about 10mg instead of 8mg.

It is a good starting point, 8 mg. Then usually they stabilize you on the dose that makes you feel most comfortable in terms of side effects, cravings, etc. I used to take 12mg last time, and that for some reason helped me more than 8mg and so they kept me on that dose.

Also, the cost of your Drs. visits and medication sound very similar to mine at this time. Altho, my insurance will probably cover the cost of the medication once I get prior authorization from my Dr. who is away for a month, unfortunately, so i can't make any adjustments w/o him.

Good luck on the suboxone. it has helped alot of people.

Murphy

Old 06-02-2004, 09:27 AM   #5

Beginagain2 HB User

Yes, this is the usual rip-off, price gouging rate these "doctors" like to charge. Of course you will need to come in at least once a week so you can be "monitored". Best of all you get to pay a higher rate than anyone else sitting in your doctors waiting room (we addicts are scum anyway so why not grossly over charge us)

Believe it or not, at one time I was a big supporter of suboxone. Not anymore. Read some posts, especially from Banker, who was also a firm believer in suboxone. I can only suggest that you get off quickly while you still can. There comes a time when you will feel lousy when you take it and lousy when you don't. When you get to that point, you know you are approaching the gaits of hell.

Old 06-02-2004, 02:49 PM   #6

Murphy555 HB User

BeginAgain,

Sorry you had such a horrible experience with suboxone, and such a negative opinion of Drs. just doing this for the money and feeling like Drs. are looking at you as low-life because of being an addict.

Yes, this is the usual rip-off, price gouging rate these "doctors" like to charge.

***My insurance covered it last time, so basically I had no charge for Drs. visits or the medication. This time, my insurance does not cover the Dr. but he has actually gone down in the cost of office visits because he knows my insurance won't cover him and he charges me only half of what other patients that can afford it do. AND, I don't have to go once a week. Once a month is enough for him to monitor me on all my medications. And I'm certainly never been made to feel like scum; you can't let someone make you feel that way, unless you feel that way yourself.

There comes a time when you will feel lousy when you take it and lousy when you don't. When you get to that point, you know you are approaching the gaits of hell.

***Again, very negative. Suboxone is a relatively new drug; I've never placed any high expectations on it like it was some kind of miracle drug. People will have both bad and positive experiences with it and I believe it has saved some people's lives at the rate they were going at the peak of their addictions.

Again, everybody is different.

Murphy

Old 06-02-2004, 06:09 PM   #7

dschne HB User

I also agree with Murphy on this SUB is a very good way to get off the hydro as far as feeling lousy that is a choice I beleive me make on how we want our lives to be. The prices are inline my Doc writes my script and my INS does cover it so I get it filled at walgreens $30.00 co pay was $160.00 for a bottle of 30 8mg office visit is $95.00 now and every 2 weeks prescribed 3 times a day 1 8mg tab I have tapered myself down to 1.5 to 2 8mg a day right now and feel just fine was taking about 40-50 10mg hydro a daY.I cannot begin to tell you how great my life has become in the last 5 weeks especially with my wife and daughter. To sit hear and look at the wonderful things god has givin to me and done for me it blows my mind olmost feel guilty for such a good life right now,and I truly know its going to get even better.I will stay in this treatment with my SUB DOC till sept appx and hope and pray to be off these and the benzo,s by then also I have made great progress on my own with the benzo,s no ambien for 2 weeks now was using it for olmost 2 yrs and down to 1 xanax at night was taking 2.Wish you all the best in the world my freind and my prayers are with you.
Dan

Old 06-02-2004, 06:41 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

If you are at a point to where there is nothing that you can do to get off of heavy drug use, then go on Sub. Just know that there will be withdrawals. It did save my life and I don't regret getting on it... I'm just at a point now where I'm having some side effects that no longer outweigh the benefits for me. Again, it did save my life and I would do it again.... I've been on it since Dec and I have no desire at all for a pain pill. Again, I'm ready to get off because of some side effects I am having. It will be a LONG, slow taper. Keep us posted, K?

Closed Thread