It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Addiction & Recovery Message Board


Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #1
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: ATL, The Big Blue Marble
Posts: 275
RubySlippers HB User
Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

I've been researching self detox with benzos on the internet for quite some time. It seems a little scary (ok, a LOT scary) but I'm hoping some of you have any tips or advice.

My story: I drink about 10 to 12 beers a day for the past two weeks (since being laid off my job). Before that I was drinking about 6 or 7 beers a day, everyday. Right now my last beer was about 14 hours ago. I felt fine this morning when I woke up about 5 hours ago. I had something to eat and became nauseated to the point of throwing up. I feel a little shaky (although not too bad - I can still type pretty well).

I took a 1 mg xanax about an hour ago and it helped tremendously. I'm also drinking lots of water.

Has anyone detoxed themselves in this way? Any thoughts or tips...any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have GOT to get my life back and begin looking for a job (something I havent' had to do for at least 4 years).

Thank you in advance,
Angela

 
Old 06-27-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: the South
Posts: 667
windysan HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

A lot of treatment centers use Ativan. Just be careful with the dosage. You should only need it for a couple of days. If you go over a week taking the pills then it might be a problem. I would get some medical attention if I were you.

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 06-27-2004, 03:11 PM   #3
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: .
Posts: 468
howard678 HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

1 mg of Xanax is a lot. May want to cut that in half and dose every 12 hours for alcohol detox, but as was said, only for a few days. Xanax is an effective anti-seizure med. Do not drink while taking them under any circumstances. Do not fall in love with them and get addicted or you likely will be wishing to God you had stuck with your alcohol... See a doc if you are in bad shape, surely.

 
Old 06-29-2004, 04:13 AM   #4
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 58
zandy HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

I thought xanax is an anti-anxiety med?

 
Old 06-29-2004, 07:05 AM   #5
Inactive
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 80
mise ata ann HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandy
I thought xanax is an anti-anxiety med?
Hen/egg situation!
Generally now considered not to be used for anxiety - as one of the side effects of xanax is anxiety. Much stricter guidelines now on xanax (and other benzos) and now not considered at all suitable as anti anxiety medication. Anything but. Pre-med in surgery, anti seizure............ not much else ..........
Very well worth avoiding if there is an alternative.
Mise

 
Old 06-30-2004, 02:41 AM   #6
Inactive
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 58
zandy HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Thank you, good explanation.

 
Old 06-30-2004, 12:53 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,597
Jennita HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by zandy
Thank you, good explanation.
I agree with all the above. Benzos can be worse than alcohol. Proceed with caution. At least you aren't detoxing from hard liquor or your situation would be much worse but you really shouldn't have drank so much beer everyday like that!

Use a very small amount of Xanax as needed for only a few days if you feel you must, but no more or risk a worse addiction.

Last edited by Jennita; 06-30-2004 at 12:54 PM.

 
Old 07-02-2004, 08:35 PM   #8
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: .
Posts: 468
howard678 HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
I agree with all the above. Benzos can be worse than alcohol. Proceed with caution. At least you aren't detoxing from hard liquor or your situation would be much worse but you really shouldn't have drank so much beer everyday like that!

Use a very small amount of Xanax as needed for only a few days if you feel you must, but no more or risk a worse addiction.
I am afraid it truly makes no difference whether its hard liquor or beer. One 12 ounce beer has the same amount of alcohol as an ounce of 80 proof hard liquor. 12 beers a day, 12 mixed drinks a day, makes no difference. Except as to the number of times you have to go to the bathroom...

Last edited by howard678; 07-02-2004 at 08:37 PM.

 
Old 07-03-2004, 12:09 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 29
Bart Garrabrant HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Hey, Hope you are doing well. I have been off 15-20 Hydrocodones a day now for 7 days. My doctor prescribed a patch called Clonidine. It got me through with no withdrawls at all. As I did research on it I found that they use it for people who are addicted to alcohol also and that it will get you through just as it did me. It isnt a narcotic at all. It is used for high blood presure and for some unknown reason it helps just about anyone who may need to be off any kind of medication that creates addiction. Cigeiettes, depresants, alcohol, Opiates.etc... So check it out on the web and talk to your doctor. I hope the best for you.

P.S. Your Doctor should be willing to help you if you just be up front and honest with him.

bart

 
Old 07-03-2004, 05:24 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,597
Jennita HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard678
I am afraid it truly makes no difference whether its hard liquor or beer. One 12 ounce beer has the same amount of alcohol as an ounce of 80 proof hard liquor. 12 beers a day, 12 mixed drinks a day, makes no difference. Except as to the number of times you have to go to the bathroom...
Well, I'm no expert on alcohol but I have to disagree as I've seen more people become alcoholics and end up in AA who drank the hard stuff than beer/wine drinkers I know.

And as I understand it, a glass of wine, a bottle of beer and a shot of whiskey have the same amount of alcohol, only as we know, a shot glass is pretty small. So, I'm assuming if you drank a wine-glass full of whiskey you'd be alot more mashed up than with one wine-glass full of wine.

But whatever, all I'm saying is the guy probably has a better chance of less severe withdrawals but he is definately consuming alot more beer than a person should and seems to have a problem with addictive behaviors. He should probably be just cutting the beers down slowly but surely rather than becoming a player in the Xanax horror show.

 
Old 07-03-2004, 05:28 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,597
Jennita HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bart Garrabrant
Hey, Hope you are doing well. I have been off 15-20 Hydrocodones a day now for 7 days. My doctor prescribed a patch called Clonidine. It got me through with no withdrawls at all. As I did research on it I found that they use it for people who are addicted to alcohol also and that it will get you through just as it did me. It isnt a narcotic at all. It is used for high blood presure and for some unknown reason it helps just about anyone who may need to be off any kind of medication that creates addiction. Cigeiettes, depresants, alcohol, Opiates.etc... So check it out on the web and talk to your doctor. I hope the best for you.

P.S. Your Doctor should be willing to help you if you just be up front and honest with him.

bart
That's because it lowers blood pressure and heartrate, slows down the nervous system in general, which is helpful for alchol rebound effects when withdrawing.

It also should be weaned off of eventually too, no cold turkey, however...but certainly I vote for it over Xanax for sure!

 
Old 07-03-2004, 07:57 PM   #12
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: .
Posts: 468
howard678 HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
Well, I'm no expert on alcohol but I have to disagree as I've seen more people become alcoholics and end up in AA who drank the hard stuff than beer/wine drinkers I know.

And as I understand it, a glass of wine, a bottle of beer and a shot of whiskey have the same amount of alcohol, only as we know, a shot glass is pretty small. So, I'm assuming if you drank a wine-glass full of whiskey you'd be alot more mashed up than with one wine-glass full of wine.

But whatever, all I'm saying is the guy probably has a better chance of less severe withdrawals but he is definately consuming alot more beer than a person should and seems to have a problem with addictive behaviors. He should probably be just cutting the beers down slowly but surely rather than becoming a player in the Xanax horror show.
Of course a wine glass of hard liquor would contain more alcohol than the same of wine. The point though is that alcohol addiction is just that, and this person is here saying they are addicted I believe. It makes no difference if it be Barcardi 151, wine, beer, Niquil, or after shave lotion. It is a matter of one`s preferred means of consumption. As to taste, cost efficiency, avalilability, how much they mind frequent trips to the bathroom, whatever... A.A. is full of alcoholics that prefer beer, and there are many social drinkers that prefer hard stuff. It is like saying that someone is going to have an easier time with benzo withdrawals if they come off a daily habit of taking 20 .25 mgs Xanax tabs as opposed to 5 1 mg tabs. The issue is alcohol intake and addiction, not the type of beverage. My objection is that this person may be led to believe that drinking beer instead of hard stuff may in some way make things easier on him. Or that he could get the idea that drinking some beer is okay. Very risky if an alcoholic.

As to the benzos for alcohol detox, fully appropriate. Fast detox is the way to go for alcoholics so sunk in the mire of symptoms and cravings that they can hardly stop. But a hospital setting is preferred for those that can get in them. Three or four days of moderate benzo use to make withdrawals more comfortable, prevent a seizure, the DTs (can be fatal) and the rest of the short term craziness that can go on is appropriate. Let us not become so anti-benzo that we deny legitimate very short term, and in some cases, life saving uses. Same goes for a coke or meth addict that shows up at the hospital with their heart jumping out of their chest. A shot of Valium has surely saved many a life. So I have to object to the "anethesia only" argument that has been promulgated here (not by you) as it could cause someone to refuse needed treatment as a result of being scared unnecessarily on the net.

P.S. He was already told to not use the benzo past a few days. I would more suggest taking a regime of the benzo those few days as if they wait until it is "needed" they could already be heading into a tailspin. Alcohol withdrawal, though brief, can be serious business.

Last edited by howard678; 07-03-2004 at 09:38 PM.

 
Old 07-04-2004, 12:32 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,597
Jennita HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard678
Of course a wine glass of hard liquor would contain more alcohol than the same of wine. The point though is that alcohol addiction is just that, and this person is here saying they are addicted I believe. It makes no difference if it be Barcardi 151, wine, beer, Niquil, or after shave lotion. It is a matter of one`s preferred means of consumption. As to taste, cost efficiency, avalilability, how much they mind frequent trips to the bathroom, whatever... A.A. is full of alcoholics that prefer beer, and there are many social drinkers that prefer hard stuff. It is like saying that someone is going to have an easier time with benzo withdrawals if they come off a daily habit of taking 20 .25 mgs Xanax tabs as opposed to 5 1 mg tabs. The issue is alcohol intake and addiction, not the type of beverage. My objection is that this person may be led to believe that drinking beer instead of hard stuff may in some way make things easier on him. Or that he could get the idea that drinking some beer is okay. Very risky if an alcoholic.

As to the benzos for alcohol detox, fully appropriate. Fast detox is the way to go for alcoholics so sunk in the mire of symptoms and cravings that they can hardly stop. But a hospital setting is preferred for those that can get in them. Three or four days of moderate benzo use to make withdrawals more comfortable, prevent a seizure, the DTs (can be fatal) and the rest of the short term craziness that can go on is appropriate. Let us not become so anti-benzo that we deny legitimate very short term, and in some cases, life saving uses. Same goes for a coke or meth addict that shows up at the hospital with their heart jumping out of their chest. A shot of Valium has surely saved many a life. So I have to object to the "anethesia only" argument that has been promulgated here (not by you) as it could cause someone to refuse needed treatment as a result of being scared unnecessarily on the net.

P.S. He was already told to not use the benzo past a few days. I would more suggest taking a regime of the benzo those few days as if they wait until it is "needed" they could already be heading into a tailspin. Alcohol withdrawal, though brief, can be serious business.
My point was that hard liquor is more potent, which may cause alcoholism more promptly and easily than weaker stuff, and have higher tolerance/withdrawal issues.

Benzos are not all created equal either, as some such as Ativan and Klonopin are more potent, targeting more receptors than let's say, the weakest which is Valium. Most would agree(including experts) it is harder to get off Ativan than Valium, thus the preferance of Valium taper. Potency does have a factor in all drugs/alcohol.....

....but I'm not disagreeing with you in the fact that this guy does have a problem! Twelve beers a day, everyday, is alcoholism and must be dealt with! I'm not sure if benzos are the best treatment, as the other poster mentioned Clonodine and since his doctor used it, I think it may be a viable alternative to benzos for detox.

Now, since he has used the Xanax already, perhaps continuing very small doses may help short term to get him out of the woods with the beer situation and seizure/delirum tremors free, as long as he doesn't forget to respect it and keep it small doses/short time on.

Now, I'm not real sure about the shaving lotions, but I think Old Spice aftershave, being an earlier one, is less potent than ones like Aramis but who knows, that old fisherman looked way too clean and fresh after a day of fishing so the Old Spice may be pretty strong stuff.

 
Old 07-04-2004, 08:37 AM   #14
Veteran
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: .
Posts: 468
howard678 HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennita
My point was that hard liquor is more potent, which may cause alcoholism more promptly and easily than weaker stuff, and have higher tolerance/withdrawal issues.

Benzos are not all created equal either, as some such as Ativan and Klonopin are more potent, targeting more receptors than let's say, the weakest which is Valium. Most would agree(including experts) it is harder to get off Ativan than Valium, thus the preferance of Valium taper. Potency does have a factor in all drugs/alcohol.....

....but I'm not disagreeing with you in the fact that this guy does have a problem! Twelve beers a day, everyday, is alcoholism and must be dealt with! I'm not sure if benzos are the best treatment, as the other poster mentioned Clonodine and since his doctor used it, I think it may be a viable alternative to benzos for detox.
Alcohol and benzos are essentially all created equally, respectively, but it depends on the dose. 10mgs Valium = .5 mgs Xanax. Xanax is 20 times more potent, according to Ashton`s potency equivalency chart, but in each instance one pill delivers the same, though the Valium has more metabolites and exits the system slower. But alcohol is just simply that, blended or not blended in whatever. One shot of tequila = one beer. Downing a beer is just as "potent" as downing a shot. This is elementary, no "experts" needed. If an "expert" can come up with a credible study to show that those that prefer mixed drinks over beer are more prone to becoming alcoholics, I`d look at it. Again none of that matters as the person that started the thread appears to already be alcoholic. They need to stop and stay stopped.

The reason Ativan is viewed as tougher to come off than Valium relates to the much shorter half-life of Ativan, not to the strength or weakness of either drug. Concentrations of the chemical in the system will drop faster creating more sudden, frequent, intense withdrawals. But as concentrations of Valium drop over time, it can all catch up with the addict coming off quick, and in the end, could be viewed as just as ugly. I watched a young woman once, cold turkeying off a 5 blue Valium a day habit, jerking so bad that she could not hold her cigarette.

None of this is relevent however to alcohol as half-lifes are not an issue. It all expells from the system at the same relatively rapid rate. Drink a 6 pack over an hour, 6 shots over an hour, one is in the same spot. If that does not get the point across then one will never get it... Though once hooked it makes sense to go with the hard stuff as drinking a case of beer or more a day involves alot of work and bathroom breaks. Though many go that route and are no better off than the whisky drinkers. Even though their beer only drinking feeds their denial. "Hey, I drink only beer." They typically have beet red faces and very large bellies. I have known many. The issue is abuse/addiction, and maybe in some cases heredity, not the beverage of choice.

I highly suspect no "expert" is arguing that hard liquor targets more "brain receptors" than beer! That is not relevent here. With benzos, Ashton claims that the notion that some benzo types target receptors that others don`t is "nonsense." But I doubt there is any true expert on that issue, or the issue of precisely how benzos effect the brain. Though one could find plenty of confident assertions complete with diagrams off the net to cut and paste, the doctors often do not agree. Many get the impression that medicine is an exact science, far from it, and brain science is now in it`s infancy. Though some scientific theories deserve more attention than others, what is heralded today might be laughed at in 100 years. Such is history.

Clonidine sounds great for fast alcohol detox if affective as benzos, but as far as I know it is simply a BP med, not a seizure med. It also would be interesting to know how effective it may be at curbing the often deadly "DTs" that can accompany alcohol withdrawal. Until we get much more than a post from one that used Clonidine to come off opiates, I`d say stick with the benzos for alcohol detox. There has been no problem with their use in this medium.

P.S. The reason Valium is preferred to the others for tapering relates to half-life, not potency. In fact, matching potencies is essential when doing a crossover and starting a taper, eg. 2 mgs Xanax = 40 mgs Valium. Valium has more metabolites and thus has a half-life of 24-100 hours. This makes for steadier concentrations of the essential chemical in the bloodstream. To the contrary, Xanax has a half-life of 4 to 9 hours which creates the need for frequent dosing, peaks and valleys, much tougher taper. No good analogy for alcohol here either...

Last edited by howard678; 07-05-2004 at 12:36 AM.

 
Old 07-05-2004, 07:25 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 3,597
Jennita HB User
Re: Alcohol Self Detox w/Xanax

Hey, it's not just the half life but since they are low potency with the availbility of low dosage pills, they are easier to cut down! A 3 mg. Valium is like a quarter potency of a 1 mg. Ativan. Easier to reach those low, low dosages when cutting up pills!

In referring to receptors, benzos are not all created alike. They do have different chemical compounds, and effect the brain a bit different although basically alike; for example, Klonopin is the one which has anti-seizure benefits and is prescribed for such, Ativan and Xanax are more for panic/anxiety, and ones like Restorial and Halcion are strictly hypnotics. Ambien is only slightly able to pass for non-benzo, missing one receptor activity. But it bites just like the benzo.....it's sort of that obnoxious 2nd cousin always horning in on family events.

See, although in the same family, benzos are different chemically and how they effect the brain; I'm guessing alcohol, since there are so many different types, might be sort of like that too?

But both share the same effect of being absolutely no good for anyone on a regular basis.

Anyway, I agree with you basically on all counts. Hopefully this guy/gal (where?) in the meantime, while we are chatting, is getting himself off the booze safely and being careful to avoid getting hooked on Xanax in the process.

Last edited by Jennita; 07-05-2004 at 07:38 PM.

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
I think I have a problem with Valium, possibly alcohol. sunexomega Addiction & Recovery 7 03-24-2008 10:03 PM
xanax and alcohol Fear Anxiety 10 03-22-2008 06:46 AM
Alcohol Withdrawal?? AnxietyMan Addiction & Recovery 11 01-11-2008 08:07 AM
Alcohol withdrawal laughingman Addiction & Recovery 4 12-09-2007 01:41 PM
Xanax for detox of OC's and Hydrocodone???? Giants20 Addiction & Recovery 12 08-20-2007 04:21 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added




Top 10 Drugs Discussed on this Board.
(Go to DrugTalk.com for complete list)
Hydrocodone
Lortab
Methadone
Oxycontin
Percocet
  Tylenol
Ultram Valium
Vicodin
Xanax







All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:05 PM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.comô
Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!