It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
Inactive

John 808 HB User
Thank ya'll so much for thinking of me!

Thank you so much, Lisa, Carly, Jen, Dallas, Lynn, Hydrqueen- gosh, I know I am forgetting somebody (please forgive me as I was at the hospital all afternoon and evening with my husband and his kidney stone! )! Anyway, thanks to each of you who have thought of me today and have wished me "well wishes!"

I am going to atleast try to make the beds and then get ready to go! I am hurting pretty good (have been the last three or four days), so, am really anxious to get this over with.

I saw my addictionologist yesterday and he said they may have to take my ovary (if it's a cyst and it is large or has ruptured causing damage) out or something like that and he NEEDS to be involved as I am probably not at the point where "usual" doses of pain relief would be sufficient- SCARY!!! I guess I will worry about that when I get there!

Again, though, it means more to me than ya'll now (don't ya love my southern talk- some of you are thinking NO- LOL!) to come to the board and find so many "I am thinking of you's...." Ya'll made me cry!

I promise, I will let ya'll know something when I get home! Again, THANK YOU!
Michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 12:04 PM   #2
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Re: Thank ya'll so much for thinking of me!

Kidney stones?? Is your hubby competing for "Health Scare of the Day?!??" LOLOL!! Trust a "darling hubby" to try to "go one better"!! (Just kidding, all you lads out there! Michelle already knows that this aging baby boomer feminist tries to keep her hubby on his toes!! LOL!)

Okay, MIchelle, we're waiting for your word(s). Talk to ya in the other place, later. xxxx lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2004, 01:03 PM   #3
Veteran

Best Friend HB User

By the time you read this, you will be back home and probably ready to sleep for 48 hours! Sending you positive vibes and hugs and 'slurpees' from my pooches, the Tzu Brothers,
TwinAlice

Old 07-14-2004, 05:12 PM   #4
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Hey ya'll!

Not very good news today- no cysts on my ovaries and uterus looked fine. It is my cervix- my pap smear came back abnormal and because of the "something" my doctor felt 3 weeks ago during her examination and my hurting she proceded to send off those cells to test for "humopapilynus" (SP???) which is something that is present if cancer is present and it came back positive???

Her next step is to perform a test with a microscope that will tell how big "whatever it is" is and where it is located and then she said we would go from there! Ofcourse, she, herself, walked me up to the receptionist and said they needed to make an appointment for me in the next 3 or 4 days- I go Monday.

So, definately not what I expected to hear or wanted to hear. I really don't feel like talking much more, but, again, thanks for all your concern!

God bless each of you,
Michelle

Old 07-14-2004, 05:22 PM   #5

mernee HB User

I am really sorry to hear that. I was hoping for the best, and I ws trying to ease your anxiety however, they never really know. I will pray for you tonight when I talk to my God.

Old 07-14-2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

O.k. Michelle, don't freak out yet....i am in the same prediciment as you. Just take it day by day for now. You poor thing, and a sick husband and now this?!?! You gotta hang in there and try to keep as busy as possible and they say attitude is EVERYTHING!!! Don't fade away when you need support the most. Post away tonight or tomorrow....i am here for you. You are in my prayers, girl!!!!
luv ya tons,
LISA

Old 07-14-2004, 06:46 PM   #7

carly500 HB User

hi michelle i will continue to pray for you i just have a good feeling you will be ok hugs carly

Old 07-14-2004, 09:03 PM   #8
(female)

DallasAlice HB User

Michelle,

Well, frankly my dear, because I do give a dang, I have to tell you that I had the very same thing and procedures done. I think your dr. is suspecting HPV (human papilloma virus as I recall it???) which is often the cause of a positive pap smear, and that's what the cell check will tell her. It's generic term is simply "warts," but it can cause a pap to be positive and yes, it can be an indication of cervical cancer and she is only telling you the worst case scenario by telling you that. My pap indicated "carcinoma in situ" of the cervix and that only means (although it sounds scarier) that the cancerous, or sometimes they are only pre-cancerous or "suspicious" cells and are localized in one spot...the cervix, hence the "in situ" wording.

The next thing may be to biopsy your cervix (a colposcopy), which is kind of uncomfortable but tolerable (I had mine done in 1986, and the doc loaded me up on valium before the exam and percodan afterwards. I'm not sure why I added that part to this post, but probably just to say that it was different back in the "old days," and TBH, yes, I was anxious, but not enough to need valium, and there was a kind of cramping feeling afterwards--but ABSOLUTELY nothing that required Percodan! I just don't want you to worry about that being a painful procedure if they want you to have that done. It IS sort of uncomfortable, but it DOES NOT require stuff that strong at all...really, I mean it. It's done in the same stirup position as a pap, it's just a wee bit more extensive.

I know you've been told all this and probably are overdosing on info right now, so I just wanted you to know I've been through exactly what you (and it sounds like Lisa) are going through, and Lisa is right--don't freak out.

The results of my biopsy required a surgery called a "cervical conization." They simply removed a cone-shaped part of the cervix, and I had absolutely zero post-op pain, but I didn't tell the nurses that and had Percodan every four hours. Seriously, I was anticipating some kind of surgical pain, but there was none at all...kind of weird, I know, but really...NO pain afterwards. The surgery was done vaginally, and I guess since only the cervix was operated on, the nerve endings were few and I really, honestly didn't feel anything but anesthesia-related grogginess after.

They can also "freeze" the affected part of the cervix and a lot of other options, so talking about surgery is getting waaaay ahead of things. I'm sorry if I am saying anything that is causing you stress, but I just want you to know that I am here for you and for as long and as much--or as little--as you want to talk about this thing because this is one topic I do know something about, and I'd be so grateful if you let me talk to you about this stuff.

I'm sorry this is the news you got, and I know you weren't prepared for it, but it is "do-able," and there is no doubt that with your personal strength, willpower, faith and support system that you will get through these tests and you fine.

Michelle, you would be doing me an honor if you even asked me just one question about what you might be facing or what you've gone through already, okay?

'Nuff said

Love ya,
Dallas

Last edited by DallasAlice; 07-14-2004 at 09:30 PM.

Old 07-14-2004, 09:16 PM   #9
Inactive

John 808 HB User

Thanks ya'll!

The only thing that has me "unnerved" is that my doctor "detected" something during her manual exam 3-4 weeks ago and for some reason felt the need to tell me that I need to prepare myself that I won't be able to have any more children.

That makes me think that it is past stage 1a and 1b (which is just cancerous cells) and on to stage 2 which is a tumor- you see what I am saying? And for the fact that that "cancer test" came back positive doesn't help matters!

I know I am being "negative" but I am still very, very emotional right now and am flooded with "what if's!" So, bear with me!

Thanks again ya'll- will check back tomorrow!
michelle

Old 07-14-2004, 09:29 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User
Smile Re: Thank ya'll so much for thinking of me!

MICHELLE,
I will say a prayer for you, I hope that you can just try to "breathe" for now and know that SO MANY PEOPLE care about you and your support group just here on the board is fantastic- Thinking of you and praying the darn thing will just disapear.

Lots of Love,

Old 07-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #11
(female)

DallasAlice HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 3:16
Thanks ya'll!

The only thing that has me "unnerved" is that my doctor "detected" something during her manual exam 3-4 weeks ago and for some reason felt the need to tell me that I need to prepare myself that I won't be able to have any more children.

That makes me think that it is past stage 1a and 1b (which is just cancerous cells) and on to stage 2 which is a tumor- you see what I am saying? And for the fact that that "cancer test" came back positive doesn't help matters!

I know I am being "negative" but I am still very, very emotional right now and am flooded with "what if's!" So, bear with me!

Thanks again ya'll- will check back tomorrow!
michelle
Michelle,

I absolutely understand the emotions and the what ifs...after my dr. called and said my pap indicated carcinoma in situ, I cried for days until I had the biopsy. Although I'm sorry to say that my stage was as advanced as it could be (Stage IV or V...can't recall now?), it still was "isolated." It hadn't spread and it was only the cervix that was involved.

You have every right to be concerned, and I think the reason she said you might not be able to have more children (my dr. didn't tell me that until they were wheeling me into surgery--and I hadn't had my kids yet!), is because IF they do surgery and remove any or all of the cervix, you won't secrete the thickish cervical discharge that you produce when you ovulate (I guess it gives the "swimmers" more of a chance to get to their destination if they have this heavier "stream" to swim up thru). Even after they took out the cervical cone, I DID get pregnant...easily and twice! So she is simply telling you all the stuff upfront and has to include the "worst cases."

When I did get pregnant, they thought they might have to literally stitch (or sew up) what was left of my cervix to keep the fetus from actually "falling out." Even though I gained a ton of weight and had two 9-pounders, I didn't have to have that done either.

I hope this helps calm some of your concerns, but everything you are feeling is something I can so strongly relate to...I felt all of it and I understand it and I am absolutely 100 percent right beside you the whole way. I'm yours for the taking, okay my friend?

All my love,
Dallas

Old 07-14-2004, 10:26 PM   #12

marich101 HB User

Michelle,
Sorry to intrude but just wanted you to know that even parttime lurker now and then poster is carrying you in my heart and you have all my thoughts and prayers. I had something similar minus the conization (sp) turned out to be moderate dysplasia a little freeze here and a little freeze there and we were done and that was in 1982 so think good thoughts as best you can and tomorrow give us the good news.............I have faith.

My best to you and
will be thinking of you.
Marich101 aka Marilyn

Closed Thread