It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-12-2004, 07:44 AM   #1

Bart Garrabrant HB User
ULTRAM. Nonadictive? Not true

I was prescribed ultram to replace the Hydros that I got off 2 months ago. That within itself was a nightmare that I want to forget forever. So my doctor told me to start taking this Ultram and that it was not addicitve. I was prescribed 2 every 4-6 hr. That is 240 a month. We as I was on vacation for 2 weeks in Yosemite I ran out of the Ultram and I thought nothing of it. It didn't reall do the job as the hydros did so I figured I will just take the max IB Prophin for my pain. Well 24 hrs into my experiance I started to feel very anxiuos and my heart rate began to beat fast. I was up all night the first night and was wondering what was happening. 50 hours into the ordeal we were heading torward magic mountain to take the kids there. My heart was beating 120 beasts a second now for about two days and I was feeling scared about it. I was thinking that it was the altitude. As we headed torward of Bishop Ca I decided I needed to go to the emergency room. The doctor the began to tell me that what I was going through was Ultram withdrawls. I said that can't be. My doctor told me that it wasn't addictive. Well he said. I have news for you. They are finding out that this is very addictive and that the doctors only go by what the Goverment tells them. I was mad and shocked at the whole thing. I went home and told my doctor the whole thing and he denys the fact that it is addictive.
Can someone here help me with someway to get off the meds. I used Clonidine for my Hydro withdrawls and it was great. Is there anything that can help me with withdrawls? I don't want to taper. I am the kind of person that needs cold turkey. Is there any help out there?

Bart

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2004, 07:54 AM   #2

frustratedhubby HB User
Re: ULTRAM. Nonadictive? Not true

Bart, it also causes siezures. My wife had one while taking this 'safe drug'...what a load of crap. Your lucky you didnt have one while driving.

Old 08-12-2004, 08:27 AM   #3

kim32 HB User

Bart, I am going thru withdrawals right now as I am typing this,
It's been 88 hours now, almost 4 days since I took my last ultram.
I have been on it for over a year now (May of 2003) for my chronic
nerve pain that I had gotton while having gallbladder surgery
(darn surgeron) :-( Well anyway when my doctor first prescribed me
ultram I told her that I DID NOT want to be on a Narcotic, well she told
me that ultram is NOT a narcotic and that I wouldn't have any trouble
stopping, YEAH RIGHT!! I have tried numerous times to stop with no
success. Well I think that I will do it this time. But before when I tried
to stop I was taking 3 to 4 pills a day and the withdrawals were much
worse then it is now. Don't get me wrong I am still suffering with
withdrawals, but I had to taper down from 3 to 4 pills a day down to
1/4 of a pill a day and that took about a month to do.
So I would say try to taper down to where I got to.
No matter what, you are going to have withdrawals on what ever dose
that you were on. Some people I have read on other message boards that they had NO problem stopping the ultram, I wish that I would of been one of those people UGH!! oh well now I'm just trying to take it day by day
and knowing that I will be free from this horrible so -called NON- narcotic drug soon that keeps my spirits up (somewhat) ;-)
SO try to taper down and see if that would help you get off of ultram.
I am thinking about writing to the makers of ultram or to the FDA and tell them that they should label ultram as a Addictive NARCOTIC! because they will probably have alot of lawsuits on there hands. I heard that some people have already sued the makers of ultram go figure huh??
Well I wish you luck (and wish me luck too) :-) on getting off of ultram.
I'll be thinking of you! Kim

Old 08-12-2004, 08:33 AM   #4

Bart Garrabrant HB User

Kim,
I am sorry to hear that. I am with you. With only a 1/4 of a pill aday you should be able to cut it off wouldn't you. What is the worst thing you went through with your withdrawls? I thought it was worse that hydrocodone. Keep me informed.

Bart

Old 08-12-2004, 08:40 AM   #5

kim32 HB User

P.S. When you went to the Emergency room what did they have to say?
Did they tell you how to get off of ultram??
And how many pills are you taking now a day??
I went this past monday to a chemically dependency place
and I filled out about 20 pages of myself,etc...
then I talked with a counselor and she also called up and talked
to a nurse while I was there in her office, and they both agreed
that I wouldn't need to go to Inpatient detox, they both said that
I could detox on my own being that I am only on a low dose of ultram.
Well I asked her what I could do to help with the withdrawals and she said that just take Extra strength Tylenol for my nerve pain and that I would just have to tough it out for about a week with the withdrawals.
Even my primary doctor doesn't know what to do, so I guess I am all on my own on getting off of this horrible drug.
THe doctors look at you like "why did you ever start taking it in the first place then, then you wouldn't be going thru withdrawals, etc..."
Well at the time I was told that it WASN'T a narcotic and my pain was so bad back then that I had no choice, I needed to get relief from the pain, well now since my pain level has gone down some (it will always probably be there)
that's why I want off of ultram, plus ultram makes me sick, I don't get the buzz like some people say that they do. So for me it was either be in horrible pain or feel sick everyday, so I guess you can say that I haven't felt "normal" in about 2 years now. :-(
Kim

Old 08-12-2004, 08:49 AM   #6

kim32 HB User

Bart, Right now I have severe nausea, I feel as tho I have to vomit all the time.
I feel really agitated like I just want to crawl out of my skin, My feet are tingling all the time, I'm getting stomach cramps with
diareah. I'm hoping that it will subside soon, don't you think that 4 days would be enough? Probably not huh?? God I can't imagine being like this for about a month.
I'm hoping that by this weekend most of the withdrawals will be gone. Kim

Old 08-12-2004, 09:04 AM   #7

Bart Garrabrant HB User

I am still taking 8 a day because I need a plan of attack. I'm a bit scared because this was worse than getting off the hydros. \
I think the doctors are misinformed and need to be sensitive to what the patients are saying. He didnt really believe me when I told him what I was going through and that I could get off it at any time. So that is why I am looking for help gewtting off and why I need a plan of attck.

I neeed to get to work so i will check my post later and reply to anymore questions or ideas you have. Thanks

bart

Old 08-12-2004, 11:27 AM   #8

task85 HB User

I just wanted to let you know that it has been 7 days for me coming off of ultram. I was going through 180 in just over a week, I Wasnt realy looking for a buzz, but I noticed I didnt feel right unless I took more and more. I was told the same thing about them not being addictive. Anyways back to the point it has been 7 days and I am able to function, the first 3-4 are the hardest then it starts to get better in my opinion. Alot of people in here say try to do this and do that but for the first few days it was impossible for me, my advise is if you have someone that will support you and you are determined to go cold turkey go grab a pillow and lay on the couch for about three days because you damn sure arent going to sleep, also take as many showers as you want through the day (7-8) they seem to help a little bit. You will know when you are ready to start doing things. I am not a doctor but I feel I should be alot better in 3-5 days. good luck I know how you feel.

Old 08-12-2004, 02:28 PM   #9
Inactive

herbal HB User

I am suffering from Ultram addiction right now. I took it for the buzz. Usually three a day for a couple of days, then I'd take Lortab for a few days, then go back to Ultram. I am on day 5 of being clean. The first two days I felt icky. Now I feel normal. Yesterday my ex-girlfriend came over and I snapped at her for no reason. I guess because I'm craving. She left after that and she's mad. I keep losing everything because of this crap.

Ultram (tramadol hcl) connects with many chemicals in the brain which makes it worse to come off of than Lortab (hydrocodone) for some people. Coming off of Ultram can cause severe depression and agitation. When coming off of an addiction to Ultram, you should let everyone know, lie in bed, and try to sleep. Because Ultram changes the shape of serotonin in your brain after repeated use. This causes you get agitated and depressed. Depending on your use, it will take a few days, weeks, or months for your serotonin to get back to it's original shape. I'm already starting to feel a little better and like my old self.

I was using Ultram for the euphoria.

Old 08-12-2004, 10:37 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

I never copped a buzz off of Ultram. Does it really give a buzz? I reckon I was spoiled on the good stuff(I mean bad stuff).

Old 08-13-2004, 02:47 PM   #11
Inactive

herbal HB User

Yes Ultram (tramadol hcl) gives a buzz.

It is almost identical to the buzz of Lortab (hyrdocone) except it lasts much longer. A buzz from Ultram can last up to 8 hours with Lortab, its' only about 3-4 hours.

Ultram for me is my fav of all time.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:39 PM   #12

Hope12 HB User

Bart,and everyone else addicted to the demon drug Ultram,
I haven't posted here in a while,but I kicked the Ultram habit coming up on seven months ago,and it has definitely been a nightmare.Don't let anybody kid you, although some people don't get anything from the Ultrams,it is still very addicting and just as hard to get off of as any other addicting substances,except benzo's.Of course my habit was 7 years long and in the end I was swallowing 50 a day,I tried taking Vicodins to wean myself off,they didn't touch me,and I finally came clean and told my doctor.The withdrawal meds are pretty much the same i.e. clonidine,valium bentyl,etc.-but the hardest part for me has been staying clean because I have done so much damage to my neurological system,and my days are actually pretty painful for me to get thru now.With that said,I can still tell you that I would never go back to active addiction and living the way I was living.It was pathetic,to say the least.But,I saw your post,and thought I'd offer my experiences and any help I can give you or answer any questions,because this road truly does suck.Hang in there,and let me know how you're doing.

Peace,Stacie

Old 08-14-2004, 04:05 PM   #13
Veteran

Blondee15 HB User

Agreed- I took it as an "alternative" to narcotics b/c I am allergic & I reacted the same way with Ultram that I did with, say codeine. The worst was Ultracet. Ugh.

Old 08-14-2004, 05:30 PM   #14

ReggaeKy HB User

I was on Ultram for a year. That was 4 years ago. My doc game me these to get off hydrocodone since it was a "safe" drug and he told me it was not addictive. I have 3 herniated discs (lumbar) and at times have excruciating, mind boggling, stabbing pain and started pain meds for this purpose instead of surgery, trying to put off surgery as long as I can. Needless to say, although I took the Ultram as prescribed, I found myself ANXIOUSLY awaiting my refill and was very much addicted to Ultram. I told my doc and he shrugged his shoulders. Whatcha' gonna' do? Oh well. I went back on hydrocodone by my doc. That was never enough as I got up to 20 per day and asked everybody I knew where I could find more. I knew it was only going to get worse, so I went to a methadone clinic. That was 3 years ago. I never went higher than 86 mg of methadone and am now weaning off of methadone. I am now down to 67 mg and have stopped where I'm at for a while because I get nauseous and have sweats about 2 x a week and want to hold off on the weaning process for now. But I feel like I'm doing great. I do smoke weed, always have, always will. Nothing will ever interfere with that. I quit alcohol and never did much of anything else until the back pain became excruciatingly severe and I entered the lovely, wonderful world of opiates! AAAAHHH!!! I mean EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKK!!! LOL. Thanks. Good luck everybody. So glad I found this board. I look forward to reading all the posts. Thanks again.

Old 08-20-2004, 12:37 PM   #15

zaney111 HB User

hello well i have been on ultram for 7 years never5 been addicted to anything in my n life now i find i will beg and steel for this drug omg it is time to stop so i tried tapering off what a joke because I finall,y get rid of the phisical withdrawl and guess MY MIND WANTS IT SO BAD OMG so i think 24/7 about whne where and how to get this I am taking 40 a day by now and this is not cheep well I have found my haven Suboxen is a wonderfull and now i am almost feeling normal again i am being maintianced o0n suboxen nows for a month longest i have been clean in 7 yr

Closed Thread