It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2004, 01:59 AM   #1

GTIVR6 HB User
Afraid...

I'm a drunk that needs help, but I can't bring myself to the point of asking for help from my family members or anyone else that I know of. I suffer from anxiety attacks daily and the mere fact of thinking of telling someone I know almost brings me to the edge of a severe attack. I cannot overcome this hurdle. Anyone else out there feel the same? Simply put...writing this thread has taken me more than 2 days of building the courage to actually type the letters out for all to see.

Help, please.

G

Old 09-08-2004, 02:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
Re: Afraid...

I am glad that you posted... you will not find a more supportive group of people to help you, if you are really searching for it.

I can say that we have all been there... we've all had to tell our family members so that we could get help. Now... did we have to make an announcement at the family reunion? No... you can tell the people that you think need to know and that can help you and be the most supportive people. But first... if you aren't comfortable with this... why not start looking at your options as far as assistance is concerned? I know you are feeling overwhelmed, and that's normal. You just have to take baby steps until you are ready to attack this illness head on. And when you are ready for that, you will not have to go it alone.

All of that being said... you've made a tremendous accomplishment by coming here... I know that I did when I first posted.

My experience w/alcoholics has been this.... my dad is one and he does the AA thing and it has worked. He hasn't had a drink in like 19 years, or something like that. In addition, my sister was extremely bad and she just quit - all by herself... started exercising... got on the right anxiety meds and anti depressants and she's doing great now. She's gone almost 7 months now. She did not go to meetings... I still worry of a relapse because of the fact that she does not seek support on a daily or weekly basis. It's scary... But... so far she's been extremely successful. Believe it or not... the first 90 days are the worst. And then she said her cravings were basically gone.

So... you are not facing the impossible... even though you may think you are. We are all here for you and please let us know how you are doing. Take care and we are so happy that you have joined us. You will not regret it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2004, 01:16 PM   #3
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Hello!

I agree with Banker...you don't have to tell anyone you don't feel comfortable telling - I mean besides the people you need to tell such as maybe your doctor, or your AA group, or a close friend or whoever.

I don't know how much you drink or how bad the w/d's would be. Could you maybe tell us a little more about yourself? (Don't worry...we can't see you typing your story or anything..so try to open up...folks on this board are outstanding and will help in any way they can )

I personally did not like AA (board members...don't jump all over me...just my humble opinion and I DO know many people who have had success with AA )

I quit drinking on my own, had minor w/d symptoms. I have a wonderful neighbor that I just got to know and of course I have these boards. I also have found religion for the first time in my life and it has really helped me.

I suggest you try to find out what would work best for you. As Banker says...baby steps at first.

I'm very PROUD of you for posting!!! Keep it up - let's get to know one another

Angela

Old 09-08-2004, 01:19 PM   #4
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Oh...and I also have really bad anxiety, panic attacks, chronic pain and depression....I take meds for all of the above, so I know where you're coming from with the panic.

Just thought I'd let you know....

Closed Thread