It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 03:51 PM   #1
Inactive

Wellman HB User
I find it interesting

I have watched this site for about a year. What prompted me to finally post is a post by Ryan'sdad. He has evidently been struggling with a vicodin addiction for quite some time and berating those on here who are involved in aa. I find it very interesting that he like so many others on here who say that they want to be sober suddenly have to have a procedure soon after they quit using narcotics. Then along with whatever procedure that they have to have they like RD tell us that they "have" to take narcotics for the pain per their doctor.

Hmmm, I wonder why that is so. Is it a coincidence? Why did RD have to have his gallbladder out at what he claims is 15 days without vicodin? Why do I read on here the same from so many others? Is this possibly due to the fact that they choose to relapse and want to get high? The sad thing about this kind of questioning is that it is looked upon as being judgemental and intrusive when in fact it is a very fair question. I am an addict who has been totally clean for five years and I have had to go to the dentist, the doctor and it has not once crossed my mind to ask the doctor for a narcotic. In fact I wouldn't take a narcotic if my doctor offered it to me and I have had to deal with pain over the past five years and have never taken anything more then apirin.

I am not saying that people don't have to deal with pain and need to take something to help them. But why is it that so many on here turn toward narcotics on a continuous basis? Why do so many have to have their teeth worked on or their gallbladders out or develop kidney stones when they have stopped taking drugs for a couple of weeks?

I believe the mind of a chronic alcoholic or addict will tell us anything to justify getting high. We as addicts will look for any excuse to use drugs or whatever to feed our disease.

I can almost assure everyone on here that Ryan'sdad will continue to use narcotics after the pain is gone. He will because he thinks he is unique and different. But like me and like all of us we are in full flight from reality and mental defects, just like the big book of aa says we are. If you don't believe me then read the section of the doctor's opinion in the big book. To those who think I am being hard I can only say that I would not be sober and clean today if my sponsor would have told me only what I wanted to hear. I would be dead. I am an addict and an alcoholic and my best thinking got me where I was. Why should anyone on this site listen to someone like Ryan'sdad? By his own admission he hasn't even stayed clean for a month in two years. People like this have not got a damn thing that I want. I hope he and all of you will come to realise that our heads are out to kill us.

Living sober and clean and serene,

Mel

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2004, 03:58 PM   #2
Inactive

Captain Hydro HB User
Re: I find it interesting

Mel,

Welcome and were "Happy 4 ya" that you are Sober.........But if some'one talked 2 me like that I'd smack ya up the Azz. But this is the Internet and it won't happen.

I also questioned RD on a post he left for chef, questioning his opinion, in which case I and 95% of the people respect chefs opinion. However this is a NASTY attack and pretty rude.

My opinion, congrats on the Asprin.

WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES AND THEN JUDGE WHERE I HAVE BEEN.

Old 09-09-2004, 04:03 PM   #3

dsny HB User

Mel I have to disagree with you.I have been clean for 10 months and shortly after I stopped taking vicodin I had to have my teeth worked on because all the years of opiate abuse destroyed my teeth.I did not take the codiene that the dentist had offered to prescribe and instead took 4 motrin and 2 tylenols at the same time to stay away from opiates.Most of the people that have developed an addiction have started out with legitamite pain issues and once they decide to quit the pain issue is still there and has to be addressed.I'm glad that you are clean but you have no right to pass judgement on others because you were in the same boat at one time.

Ken

P.S.You should never spit in the air because eventually it will come back in your face.

Last edited by dsnyken; 09-09-2004 at 04:05 PM.

Old 09-09-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
Inactive

Wellman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hydro
Mel,

Welcome and were "Happy 4 ya" that you are Sober.........But if some'one talked 2 me like that I'd smack ya up the Azz. But this is the Internet and it won't happen.

I also questioned RD on a post he left for chef, questioning his opinion, in which case I and 95% of the people respect chefs opinion. However this is a NASTY attack and pretty rude.

My opinion, congrats on the Asprin.

WALK A MILE IN MY SHOES AND THEN JUDGE WHERE I HAVE BEEN.
I am not being rude just honest and as far as smacking me............well let's just say that wouldn't ever happen, not in this life

Buit back to my point I have used drugs including cocaine, narcotics, alcohol. I lied, cheated and stole to do my disease. So I have walked in your shoes, so to speak. I believe that people get high because they want to do that more then they want to stay sober. I have met so many guys in the program like Rd who think that they have everything figured out and they never make it until they get honest. Rd would not last a second in the meetings I go to. We have tough sobriety and don't tolerate whining or people who are "unique." Rd would get his butt kicked in a second.

Addiction is not up for debate, this is life and death, at least it is for me and shoud be to anyone serious about recovery. I have no patience for high minded punks.

Five years and counting one day at a time,

Mel

Closed Thread