It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 08:19 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User
Marrich 101- I have some info for your re: sciatica

Marilyn,
I read one of your posts on a thread re: antidepressants- I wanted to let you know Ive had sciatica for 3 years. I FINALLY- after 3 different Physical Therapy facillities, found a PT who taught me the right excercises to correct sciatica in 6 weeks, if done 3 times a day.

I have been on hydros for 3 years. Since Im starting to feel better from the PT, I have discovered I CANNOT get off the hydros, Somas, and Ambien without help.

I am checking into a rehab next Friday, the 17th. It is the scariest thing Ive ever done. But even more scary is me leaning on pills any longer. Somethings got to give. And Im not going to put myself at risk or my children at risk.

I just want you to know there is help for sciatica. Im purchasing a portable, digital tens unit to help w/ the pain, and doing my excercises once a day.

Check out Physical Rehabillitation in your area. I promise you- I gave up all hope and FOUND this PT who is amazing and the excercises will change your life.

If you ever want to talk, I am here.

Much Hope to you,
Sara

Old 09-11-2004, 08:12 PM   #2

marich101 HB User
Re: Marrich 101- I have some info for your re: sciatica

Sara,
Thanks so much for you response. So glad to hear you found something that worked for you. You know how it is on here, you can't get your whole history in one post sooooo....... I'll fill you in on where I am. My very first diagnosis was sciatica, went thru the PT, anti-inflammatories, and my introduction to Ultram. Now this has been years ago and at that time I only had occasional pain maybe once a month for a day or so and would go away, but significant enough to warrant me being concerned and seek medical attention. Over the years it got to be more often and last longer and become more intense.
Not to drag you thru all the boring details, there were several surgeries all tummy related. So there have been several Drs that I've seen and discussed this with.. I also have scoliosis and that is about the only thing I can say with any certainty. I've had a variety of diagnosis' from arthritic spurs on my spine, colonitis, and adhesions from the surgeries. No one has been sure enough of any of their opinions to do anything that might "FIX" the problem its been far more easy to pull out a prescription pad and give me pain pills. We've talked about a nerve block for the "sciatica" but thats it, they weren't real big on that because it so often didn't work, well I'm all for that I sure don't want to be cut on for nothing and the intestinal adhesions there was no point in operating to remove them because that would only cause more of the same. So basically I've been told to "learn to live with it"............they start out all gung-ho that we will find "it" and fix "it" but its always the same they give me drugs, I take them............it's less scary than a surgery they can't tell me will make it better.
And along the way I've learned to like these little pills, therein lies my problem I don't/can't control the way I take them. I've learned they not only take care of physical pain they work wonders on emotional pain.
The pain, as I said has gotten worse over the years and where it used to be occasional it has gotten to be pretty much on a daily basis anymore, and I catch myself taking far too many of them far too often when I really don't need them. And there comes a time when I realize I'm a slave to these pills and I want to stop but..............well you know the rest. The "withdrawals" need I say more.
I don't know girl I was looking for help when I found this board and it has been a Godsend.........I don't feel like I'm alone anymore, I know that there are others who suffer thru the same agony that I do.
Yes I'm an addict and I accept that but I have a legitimate pain problem also. Whats a girl to do???? It's a vicious circle.
BUT on to a brighter note I am sincerely glad that you found something that worked for your sciatica, you know I wonder if I could actually leave the pills alone if they could definitely tell me what it is and fix it. I doubt it .don't mean to sound so blue just not a good weekend for me
Sorry to talk your ear off but thanks for listening and for your post back to me, it meant alot.
Hope all works out well for you
Marilyn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Marilyn,
It's easy isen't it. To fall into the trap of taking pills for your pain- getting the warm fuzzy feeling- then when something bad happens in your life (in which it happens to EVERYONE) you take a pill for that too.
Bam! Turn around and years go by and you are still taking the pills.

I am taking the gamble of my life and entering a rehab on Friday. Its a 32 day rehab. I am taking a gamble b/c my siatica and back pain is still there. I have a degen. disk and Im going somewhere where they will only let me have asprin at best. I will know how bad my back is in about two weeks after I get there. Thats when the pain from the withdrawls will subside somewhat.

I was trying to give you a suggestion of maybe seeing a different PT. Thats what I did. I was going to the Chiropractor twice a week for two years!
They were doing the wrong thing to me. Now I found out where the pain is really coming from is my pelvis- or SI joint and the dr said I have sicatica and if I did these excercises I would get better.

Im taking a tens unit to rehab w/ me in hopes to mentally stop the addiction and physcially overcome the pain. I know it's an ongoing process for the rest of my life. I cannot be trusted w/ pain meds.

Im in a very bad mood too. Im having a lot of anxiety over leaving my job and my kids for 32 days. It's in God's hands now. I can't take the pain of being miserable taking these pills and not dealing w/ my problems with a clear head.

If there is anything I can do like tell you what excercises Im doing - I will be happy to. But I didn't want to rattle em off unless you were really interested.
I will say a prayer about Marilyn and her addiction tonight before bedtime.

Love,
Sara

Old 09-12-2004, 07:16 PM   #4

marich101 HB User

Sara,
Am so glad you posted, I was sitting here earlier trying to think of things I could say to make your trip later this week less stressful. I know that you are really into it and excited but I also know that you have a big concern with your children as well as all the other stuff in life we have to deal with. I just want you to know you have all of the well wishes I can send you and know that you have alot of people out here cheering you on. I'm one of the "lurkers", don't have alot to say but get so much in following other people and their progress and it helps me to realize I'm not the only one battling this madness with these infernal pills.
I'm not sure of your childrens ages but if I remember correctly they are young and will handle this better than you may think, their Dad may make his little comments but as I understand it you have a great relationship with those kids and they see their Mom in pain and want her to be better.( I mean a slumber party with them and their friends , how cute is that?) I don't think they will grasp much from his negative remarks whatever damage he will try to do will come back on him. Honey, I'm a firm believer in Karma so you go girl and you do what needs to be done and you make yourself a happier Mom for those girls.

Looking forward to your return and remember in case I don't have an opportunity to talk with you again before you go, everything has fallen into place for a reason. Job's taken care of , kids are taken care of. Now you go take care of Sara, the girls deserve it and so does MOM.

My thoughts and prayers are with you,
Marilyn

Old 09-12-2004, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sarandipity HB User

Marilyn,
That is so funny you mensioned the slumber party. I wanted to go out with a bang and make sure my kids are around their friends as much as possible before I leave.
Yes, I am extrenmely tired, but it was worth it. My kids are 3 and 7 (getting ready to be 8 on Oct 5th.) I WONT BE HERE FOR HER BIRTHDAY! But I promised to have a party when I return. I have told my older daugher Im leaving to have my back fixed and so I can stop taking the medicine the doctor gave me for my back. That way if my evil ex tries to manipulate the situation- she will already have a firm understanding of what's going on.

I explained to my 3 year old as well that she was going to stay with my sister while I got well, and asked her how she felt about it. She said she didn't mind.
She is so young she will not know anything except Mommy's not around. I wanna cry when I think about stuff like that. My older daugher just said to me... think of it as going ice skating Mommy- your scared to go cuz your gonna fall and its going to hurt, but once you start practicing it will be good and you will get the hang of it!

Is that not the sweetest thing! And she also told me she wanted pictures os me and something Ive made that will remind her of me.

AHHHHHhhhhhh!

Please write me over the course of the next week. I will be on the boards until Friday. Then Its Bye Bye Sara, Hello Withdrawls and backpain.

I will probably want to walk out that door as soon as I start having the runs, chills, fever, and feeling the overall pain like a mac-truck ran over me.

God.. this is the hardest thing Ive EVER done.

I hope I can come home- detoxed and given the tools to help me stay away from those pills- and the knowledge of the underlying issues of my problems I had w/ my family and with boyfriends I had while growing up. I know that has Sooooo much to do w/ it.

Quit lurking and at least write every once in a while. Im scared and feel lonely.

LOVE,

SARA

Closed Thread