It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2004, 08:42 PM   #1
Inactive

coxdj HB User
Unhappy I read his first post now~

I had just responded to a post regarding RD's surgery, and Wellmans thoughts on it. I hope everyone here does not despise me, or reject me, for saying my opinion on it. I want to point out that I did just go back and read Wellmans first post about "finding it very interesting..." so I can see, maybe some of what he said is a bit on the harsh side, maybe could have been somewhat more tactful. When I say these things, everyone~ please dont think I am pointing my finger at anyone here, but only myself. I cant explain it, but I do understand his post. I think maybe some of the wording could be different, but I can see that maybe if I was more with his type of mindset, as far as getting truly honest with myself, and going to meetings where they dont tolerate whining as he said, or any unique people....maybe I would actually have some clean time behind me now, longer than the only like one month, I have had all this Year, that was in May. May was the only month that I did not do opiates. That is not a very good track record. My point is this....as addicts we really cant afford to listen sometimes to our head tell us, oh maybe just this, or that, or go to the dr.s ...I have scammed so many dr.s' it is pathetic. That is all I am saying. I guess in a way, I am envious of Wellmans' progress. I want it so bad, but obviously, not bad enough, to stop getting high. Addiction will kill eventually. I do believe that.
deb~

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-10-2004, 05:16 AM   #2

sammi HB User
Re: I read his first post now~

Deb, I understand where you're coming from and what you mean.....

Old 09-10-2004, 08:02 AM   #3
Inactive

over HB User

I, myself, did react the same way to RD's post as Wellman did. From reading the boards for awhile now, I have noticed that men have a tendency to be not as tactful, but more so truthful as opposed to women who are far more nurturing than men.

I also have been following RD's post for the past few weeks. Indeed, he was in denial in the beginning and very rude to Chef when Chef merely pointed out the facts. Chef's rebuttal to him was a jab back to him. I am sure RD is eating his words now. Although, RD's cynical opinions did change after other posters attacked him for his opinion on the disease model. RD's posts thereafter had a different tone.

I will have to agree with Wellman that an addict will seek narcotics and will do anything to obtain them to relapse. I believe that RD did feel remorse for taking Vicodin or why else would he even bother to post. Wellman's post does have truth to it and if an addict truly wanted sobriety, they would go to any means to not face that demon. Temptation is far too destructive.

Take care and be strong.

Last edited by over; 09-10-2004 at 08:53 AM. Reason: typo

Old 09-10-2004, 09:32 AM   #4
Inactive

coxdj HB User
Lightbulb Re: I read his first post now~

Quote:
Originally Posted by over
I, myself, did react the same way to RD's post as Wellman did. From reading the boards for awhile now, I have noticed that men have a tendency to be not as tactful, but more so truthful as opposed to women who are far more nurturing than men.

I also have been following RD's post for the past few weeks. Indeed, he was in denial in the beginning and very rude to Chef when Chef merely pointed out the facts. Chef's rebuttal to him was a jab back to him. I am sure RD is eating his words now. Although, RD's cynical opinions did change after other posters attacked him for his opinion on the disease model. RD's posts thereafter had a different tone.

I will have to agree with Wellman that an addict will seek narcotics and will do anything to obtain them to relapse. I believe that RD did feel remorse for taking Vicodin or why else would he even bother to post. Wellman's post does have truth to it and if an addict truly wanted sobriety, they would go to any means to not face that demon. Temptation is far too destructive.

Take care and be strong.
This is so very, very TRUE~ Everything you said here, Over, is right on the mark!

Old 09-10-2004, 01:09 PM   #5
Inactive

Ryan'sdaddy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by over

Take care and be strong.

First and foremost I have never "eaten my words. I think that the "disease" model is completely bogus and has never been proven to be correct and neither you or anyone else on here including chef or wellman have proven otherwise.

I have not made any excuses to take narcotics. I had a horrible surgery a two and a half days ago and took what the doctor told me to take and did exactly what I said I was going to do and that was to switch to motrin yesterday, which is what I did. So wellman was wrong.

Final point is that I have never once berated anyone in AA and I don't have any idea what wellman is talking about. I tthink that AA and other programs like AA can be helpful, but they are not for everyone. If AA works for you then fine, but that is a far cry from saying the disease model is correct. It is not and has and will never be proved otherwise.

I never attacked chef. I only questioned his so-called authority by the mere fact he is only somebody in recovery. He is probably a nice guy but I disagree with him and I do so adamantly.

I stand by what I say and have not "changed my tune." The disease theory is just that, a theory and nothing more. AA does provide moral support for those who it works for.

To me wellman sounds like a very angry person which is typical in some AA groups where it is a religion or a cult to them, when their myopic veiwpoint is challenged. I am sorry he feels so angry at me but I have nothing personally against anyone in recovery per se, only the philosophy behind it.

Again I took my medication for my gallbladder surgery exactly as my surgeon instructed me and I have no desire to continue taking vicodin beyond this, and will not. The desire to get a buzz from vicodin is behind me for good. I hated even having to take it for two days.

Thanks to all of you who wished me well. I appreciate your thoughts and prayers.
Ryan'sdaddy

Closed Thread