It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2004, 07:23 PM   #1

Haiku HB User
Recovering teen & returning to school

Hello Everyone,

The teen I wrote you about two weeks ago seems to have calmed down, and his parents are too. He is in out-patient treatment counseling. Now, remains the decision about whether or not he should return to the school where so many of the problems took place. He now is telling his parents he wants to (an emotional turnaround). His parents appear to be swayed by him. They are asking my advice, and the last thing we discussed was 'get him into a trade training program' because he totally flunked school and got into drugs etc...

I'm not an intruding family member, we help each other, and they ask me to research training for him.

I would love to get your take on the situation. I won't sway you with what I think- but I am sure might can guess. I think bad blood leaves a stain. He should stick to his decision and move on. Going back to that school is another loss of self and direction. A purely emotional reaction.

but, from a recovery point of view- what do you think. I think that just because he got better (for the moment), doesn't mean the other people who were involved did.

Thank you, and thank you for your help through this family crisis.

Wishing you peace and happiness,

Sincerely,
Haiku

Old 09-12-2004, 07:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User
Re: Recovering teen & returning to school

Haiku-
Returning to the scene of the crime(so to speak)-might not be the best idea.
Young people believe they are invincible(as do adults)-but more so when you are a kid-what kind of drugs was this person involved in?
If he does return to school-does he have a support network in place?
Is he living at home?
I sense he should get a fresh start-new school if possible/new friends-and a program of recovery.
GGrl65

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #3

Haiku HB User
Re: Recovering teen & returning to school- Goddessgirl

Dear Goddessgirl,

Cocaine. Alcohol and pot, sex. Selling and using.

No- no network in school- he is totally on his own , if you can believe it. He has exhausted his parents, emotionally and financially- they are struggling just to keep going. Yes, he is living at home, but they can't control him. They say he is just a bad character right now, and it is by his choice.

I am truly afraid.

Haiku

Quote:
Originally Posted by goddessgrl65
Haiku-
Returning to the scene of the crime(so to speak)-might not be the best idea.
Young people believe they are invincible(as do adults)-but more so when you are a kid-what kind of drugs was this person involved in?
If he does return to school-does he have a support network in place?
Is he living at home?
I sense he should get a fresh start-new school if possible/new friends-and a program of recovery.
GGrl65

Closed Thread