It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 10:48 AM   #1

octomon HB User
Question Opinions on Ritalin...c'mon i KNOW you've got them

Hi Board-Posters:
I had never heard of the use of Ritalin during a taper/withdrawal before subscribing to this board. Looks like y'all have some strong opinions regarding it's use....and side effects.

The reason I'm asking is because I originally started using op's during in work. Mundane, sometimes tedious work on a computer. But also for creative inspiration. Both of which benefited for a while, but...well you all know what eventually happens. My point is that the op's turned off all the chatter in my head, and I could really just focus and of course actually 'enjoyed' doing the work. I'm on 'the sub' now, and have learned to work, and live, with it, but it's now time to taper and quit. My main worry is being able to focus and for that matter even be ABLE to do my work, as the subs do help as well. I'm tempted to ask my doc about ritalin, but not at the expense of severe side-effects, or having it turn into another addiction.

Anyone have an opinion they would like to share? On Ritalin or perhaps a more benign substitute?

Thank you in advance for your posts.

Old 09-12-2004, 12:18 PM   #2

carly500 HB User
Re: Opinions on Ritalin...c'mon i KNOW you've got them

Hi Octomon I have an addiction to ritalin and adderall so I am not the best one to advise you but I will tell you what I know.First of all a poster named Fisherman did what you are suggesting so I hope he will weigh in.I think adderall would be better because when you are coming down from it, for lack of better words, adderall is a smoother drop. Therefore depression can occur with either one but it is more likely with the ritalin. If I can answer any more questions let me know Carly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2004, 01:05 PM   #3

octomon HB User

Thank you Carly,
I actually ran across your ritalin info to fisherpard after I posed this question, and found your info helpful. I also noticed a string of ads on the same page for this 'herbal' ADHD remedy alternative to ritalin, and am curious if anyone had tried that. Guess I could give it a go before trying the ritalin or other script drug. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2004, 11:50 PM   #4

carly500 HB User

Hi again Octomon Can you do me a favor. If you decide to use the herbal adhd remedy, will you tell me if it works for improvment in concentration Also anything else you find it helps with like incresed energy. Just tell me everything good or bad. I have always been skeptical of herbal remedys but if it works it would be like a miracle to me. If you decide not to use it let me know also. Thanks in advance Carly

Old 09-13-2004, 12:44 AM   #5

octomon HB User

Hi Carly,
Sure, I will certainly post my progress. I just realized that the paid ads that show up on thread pages are determined by scanning keywords in our posts. [LOL!] So if we're talking about Ritalin there will be a string of ADD-related ads. Same with wellbutrin, etc. Man ya gotta love technology. Maybe I'm a little slow and everyone else has noticed this, but I thought it was funny.

Last edited by octomon; 09-13-2004 at 12:46 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-13-2004, 05:39 PM   #6

fisherpard HB User

octomon,

Carley pretty much summed it up on the Ritalin and Adderall. Ritalin tends to leave you depressed and has huge mountains and deep valleys. Both are stimulants and will give you a quick burst of energy unless you are really ADD and then it is supposed to make you normal. I have used both over the years mainly as a add on to help with major depression. It does give you the energy to make it through work but it is counter productive in that you have the big let down in the evening. Both can be very addictive.

However, no where like the opiates and w/d's you get with them. Ritalin is a very fast acting drug and it leaves your system real quick. You can go C/T on Ritalin with little w/d's. It can help some through the hardest stage of opiate withdrawals if you only stay on it for a short time at a low dose. But with any addictive drug you must be careful not replacing one habit for another. Ritalin can also be pretty hard on your body because it can make your BP rise quickly.

I would do a little research on Provigil if I was going to use a stimulant to help get through the worst opiate w/ds. It is pretty expensive but a lot less addictive.

I hope this helps a little,
best wishes,
fisherman

Old 09-14-2004, 05:26 AM   #7

emmajoy HB User

remember that is it an amphetamine and it is addictive especially if its not used properly and or for add etc

Closed Thread