It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 07:28 AM   #1

Christine1984 HB User
Has anyone not LITERALLY SLEPT FOR A MONTH STRAIGHT

I HAVE! I have bad sleep insmonia from stupid psychiatric meds. I didnt sleep for one whole month straight 6 months ago. I was up all night long. and eventually i developled severe panic attacks and weird tingiling sensations from head to toes. DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THIS IS FROM LACK OF SLEEP??? I actually get a lot of pain in my chest also. I hope i wont get a heart attack from so much lack of sleep. I heard u can. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP.

Old 09-14-2004, 08:57 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Has anyone not LITERALLY SLEPT FOR A MONTH STRAIGHT

What kind of brain meds? Zyprexa and Neurontin have class action lawsuits right now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2004, 09:02 AM   #3
Inactive

Karla HB User

There is an antiphycotic that can cause insomnia called ablify. If this is your medicine please let your dr know asap. There are many other antiphycotics for you to try that will work just as well without this side effect. Even if it isn't antiphycotics you should let your dr know. This is not acceptable and you should be able to find an alternative medicine relativly easy.

Old 09-14-2004, 10:01 AM   #4

Christine1984 HB User

THE DRUG IS SEROQUEL!!!! I CANT SLEEP AT ALL NOT EVEN 5MINUTES NOTHING!!! UNLESS I TAKE A HIGH DOSE OF SEROQUEL, BUT MY DOCTOR DOESNT WANT ME TO DO THIS, THATS WHY I CANT SLEEP! and this is bad, because i go to college and i take one class, but luckily i dont WORK!!! I TAKE OTHER DRUGS NOW!!! THE DOCTOR GAVE ME TRAZADONE 200mgs and that dont even touch me. i take that along with trileptal 75mgs and topamax and the seroquel 200mgs and i dont sleep. I used to be just on 100mgs of seroquel for 4 years, until i stopped it cold turkey for 1month and didnt sleep that whole time period, because the serqouel was used to putting me to sleep. NOW I CANT SLEEP UNLESS I HAVE A HIGH DOSAGE OF SEROQUEL< BUT NOT ALLOWED BY MY DOCTOR< SO I WILL NEVER SLEEP I GUESS, UNLESS I DEVELOP ANOTHER PANIC ATTACK THEN I SLEEP, because i work myself so up that i can sleep. please help.

Old 09-14-2004, 12:39 PM   #5

octomon HB User

Jeez Christine, I can feel your panic flying off the page. Yes. Sleep is required..as in a third of your lifetime required. Not having it will short circuit you in a hundred different ways. Physically it's not possible to go without sleep for a month, and I think you are not being totally accurate in your post, but you do definitely sound like you're in trouble.

Seems to me you need a second and maybe thrid opinion on the current meds cocktail you're on. If your doctor understands that you haven't slept at all over an extended period, and has examined you and sees the physical and mental side effects, and hasn't taken dramatic steps to help you, he should lose his license and you should drop him like a bad [drug] habit. Period.

But FIRST, you need to realize that what you're describing to us on this board is a life-threatening situation if it's as bad as you say it is. You need to be in the emergency room NOW, and then into the hospital.

Old 09-14-2004, 01:24 PM   #6

fisherpard HB User

Christine,

Read my post to you on Sara's "I told the family thread"

your friend,
fisherman

Old 09-14-2004, 05:45 PM   #7

ScaredHelpless HB User

Christine,
I am a counselour who works with teens but alot of those meds I am familiar with for example the serqouel we use alot with our kids and I have never seen such withdrawls, their are other sleeping meds, Ambien ( Although highly addicitve, Inozaped is a stronger sleeping med to. But I agree with Octomon's advice first off and formost get to the Emergency room!

Old 09-14-2004, 06:11 PM   #8

octomon HB User

Christine,
One more thing - have you been to biploarworld.net? You will find a lot of info here and many others who are on or know a lot about this drug. Also, since this drug is prescribed to help people with bipolar disorder during manic episodes? And since sleep deprivation a symptom of bipolar disorder, are you sure it's the drug[s] that's causing the insomnia?

I'm not a doctor, but it really sounds like you're not on the right balance of meds to control your episodes, and another doctor with a fresh perspective may offer you much needed help - really you should get a second opinion.

You will find some great emotional support here from caring people, but all the caring support in the world cannot stabalize your brain chemistry and get you on a normal sleep schedule. I know I said this before, but what you're experiencing is extremely dangerous and even life-threatening. You're right, you can have a heart attack, not to mention you could be driving to school and get into a car accident.

Anyone else reading Christine's post, please understand she needs more than a shoulder to cry on right now, though I know it is very helpful and important. Psychotic disorders + sleep deprivation are a lethal combination, so please encourage her to take action. Okay Christine? Good luck getting better. There IS someone out there who can help you more but you need to look beyond your doctor and beyond this website.

Old 10-21-2004, 02:37 AM   #9

christina1984 HB User

hey christine.. when i was on dexedrine i didnt sleep for 3 weeks.. eventually i got mono b/c my immune system was working overtime b/c i wasnt sleeping.. i was out of school for half the year trying to recover.. along with mono i got chest pains etc... it can either be the meds your on, not sleeping for a month or a mixture of the two.. either way talk to your doctor about it he may need to change your medicines around.. as for temporary relief try some relaxation techniques, taking baths, listening to calm music and breathing slowly helps me calm my anxiety a lil it might help for you...

your body is trying to tell you something, go get 2, 3 10 doctor opinions if you need untill you feel comfortable or atleast getting back to normal again..

Last edited by christina1984; 10-21-2004 at 02:40 AM.

Old 10-21-2004, 07:23 AM   #10

Christine1984 HB User

Thanks Christina, but what are these tingiling sensations from? they start in my brain and go through my body and travel to my toes. i developed these right after i stopped seroquel cold turkey and didnt sleep for 1month straight. these sensations have been going on 8months now? can this be a totally different problem, or related to going off my med. because i went back on my seroquel, and these sensations didnt go away. its 8months later now and i still have these sensations and occasional numness. the dr has been switching my meds. he is getting me off seroquel. i am on only 75mgs of seroquel right now, then im on paxil, 20mgs, and trazadone 100mgs and topamax 100mgs. too much for me. my sensations start in my brain then travel only on my left side!! do you know what this can be from? you really didnt sleep for 3weeks straight? not even 5minutes, nothing?? did you develop muscle aches and practically go insane? are you on meds too?? what ones??? my real name is christina also, but i like christine better!!!! please write back!! take care, your friend christina

Old 10-21-2004, 01:05 PM   #11

Baseball65 HB User
seroquel...weird stuff.

Hi Christina 1984.
I had a brief experience with seroquel and I can see where NOT taking it might cause a problem if one had gotten used to it.

A Quack tried to get me on that stuff,and after reading your post,boy am I glad I never followed through..(I just didn't take the meds)

because of a lifetime of using benzo's,the MD at my detox prescribed seroquel for sleep for me..(throwing darts...they keep trying stuff until something works)

It's weird how each of our bodies differ.I can take 100 mgs of hydro,50 mgs of morphine and 2mgs of Xanax and play baseball......25 mgs of seroquel and it was like a Mack truck had hit me....slept for 18 hrs straight....woke up with the chills and that weird feeling you wrote about....pretty scary stuff.

In physics,every action has an equal and opposite reaction.If your body became assimilated to seroquel and all that "Mack truck" effect.when removed it might be a while before you're normalized.

It sounds to me like you need some sort of anti-anxiety med like xananx or klonopin or ativan.My boss hass been having trouble sleeping for months and tried everything,and finally took half of a 2mg xanax and said he slept like a baby.
Trazadone is only effective for sleep if you go to bed immediately after taking it ,and even then has only a 15 minute "effective" window.......they gave it out in detox for the insomnia,though most people complained it was fairly ineffective.

Hope that helps a little

----Marc

Old 10-21-2004, 04:47 PM   #12

christina1984 HB User

if your having tingling sensation down your left side go see a doctor as soon as you can, alot of medications can speed your heart rate up and from it sounds like you may be on too many meds at this time and your body is telling you it cant handle it... i got tingly hands but it didnt start in my head down to my toes.. but i did feel like my heart was about to burst out of my chest at times.. your best bet is to see a doctor besides the one giving you the meds so he can evaluate your situation and give u the right prognosis. i have been on many meds from zoloft, celexa, zyprexa, wellbutrin, dexedrine, klonopin, paxil, prozac, u name it... but for some reason everytime i was put on zoloft i got EXTREMELY depressed.. all the other meds i also had side effects on.. dexedrine was the med where i couldnt sleep for weeks but i also abused the drug b/c of the feeling of euphoria it gave me.. soon after i crashed.. as of now im not on meds, i have been tryin to exercise and organzie my time so i dont feel as stressed and anxious.. i still have my ups and downs and im not ruling out medications for good, but for now what im tryin seems to work best than the other alternatives ive tried so far. i hope everything is well and let us know how its going..

Last edited by christina1984; 10-21-2004 at 04:53 PM.

Closed Thread