It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
(male)

snowdog13 HB User
Fisherman I need advice!

Fisherman,

It's been a minute since I wrote, but I've recently stabilized on the suboxone, and now that I'm not in withdrawal, I'm starting to think that the shrink who's prescribing it to me is over billing me! He **** tests me weekly to the tune of $250 a pop, plus it's $75 a week per visit, and then another $50 a week for the suboxone! It's cheaper for me to stay high on dilaudid all week than it is to pay that much!! Isn't that way too expensive? The only good thing is I think my insurance is picking up the bill for the **** tests; at least they haven't sent me a bill yet for them. The shrink is also pushing me to start taking seroquel, but from other threads I've read on the healthboards, it sound like it's bad news. My question to you or anyone who'd like to comment: Is this guy just using me to make cash? How much should I be paying? Shouldn't he at least prescribe it for a month at a time? I could afford $75 a month; but I can't afford $75 a week, plus $250 for **** test, plus $50 for Suboxone. (I can get a week's worth of liquid dilaudid 1mg/ml, for $200!) but I want to get clean and stay clean. How should I go about detoxing myself? Should I cut my dose down to one per day for a week and then go lower? I don't like the seroquel, and I don't think I have bi-polar disorder, but I must admit that if I didn't have the seroquel, the suboxone would keep me up all night. Thanks for "listening" Fisherman....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 04:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User
Re: Fisherman I need advice!

Hi Snowdog... I just wanted to chime in w/some info...

My doctor is the extreme opposite (and nobody else on this board has a doc like this) but I started going monthly at $150 an office visit and no drug test... Oh, my insurance covers Sub (but doc won't submit his visit on my insurance) and that's a $40 co pay. Now, he only makes me go in quarterly... Which is just basically unheard of.

Now... I'm doing a clinical trial for Suboxone and the questions I'm asked are:
Does your doctor give you a physical when you come in?
Does he give you a drug test?
Then he started asking about costs, etc. I can just about guarantee that out of this trial, it will come out that the costs are much higher than they should be. Oh, another thing the government is worried about is people getting Sub on the street.... At least that's one of the questions.
I've said no way!!! I mean, this stuff doesn't give you a high... But when asked how easy it was to get methadone on the street compared to Suboxone, I said extremely easy.

Anyway.... I would recommend that you find another doctor. How long have you been going weekly and have you talked to him about changing your visits to monthly? Another thing is this - I honestly think my doc MAY drug test other people but for whatever reason, he doesn't me and I think it's because he knows how much I LOVED Suboxone and was a huge (and still am) advocate. He asks me each quarter "If I was to do a urine test, what drugs would I find?" and I tell him what I'm taking... that's it!!!

Again, I think my doctor is the EXTREME case and I wouldn't compare your visits to him... but a monthly visit is what I would expect, at least after you being on it for maybe a month.

K - take care and let us know how you are doing. I hope you don't mind me 'butting in'. I just don't want you to switch back... Find another doctor first. I know it's frustrating to think you have to go through all of that mess.. but it's worth it. AND... doctors think because we are addicts, that they can treat us any 'ole way and we need to show them that they will lose their business if they don't start becoming more competitive with their prices. It makes me sick to think about...

Old 09-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #3

fisherpard HB User
Re: Fisherman I need advice!

Snowdog,

I would be on the lookout for a better Suboxone doctor. My doctor had me visit 2 times the first two weeks. This was at a price of $105 a visit. After that it was once a month at $105. She would write me 30 8mgs for a month and I would use a pill cutter to cut. I believe it would be no trouble for me to go quarterly now and I never had to do any kind of a pee test. Once on the 2nd visit I had to bring my pill bottle in for a count. It would cost me less than $100 for the month's supply of Suboxone. So if you figure long term it would run a total of about $400 per quarter, quite a bit cheaper than what you are paying.

best wishes,
fisherman

Closed Thread