It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 06:17 PM   #1
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Questions about Antabuse

My husband was taking Antabuse and the doctor told him that he could die or have seizure while drinking on it. Well, my husband tetered with it and drinking and nothing happend! So now he knows he can drink on it. Is this pill a joke? Is there anything else he can get on? Does it have to be taken EVERY day? Please help.

Old 09-15-2004, 06:29 PM   #2

lilaculpepper HB User
Re: Questions about Antabuse

I'm confused about the real question here.

According to the Walgreens drug information listing: "This medicine is an alcohol-abuse deterrent used to help overcome drinking problems." When used alone, without proper motivation and supportive therapy, it is unlikely that it will have any substantive effect on the drinking pattern of the chronic alcoholic.

Was your husband prescribed this medicine to STOP drinking and he is drinking while ON the drug? Sounds a little irresponsible, if so.

Check out this link for any more questions you may have on this drug: http://www.drugs.com/PDR/Antabuse_Tablets.html

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2004, 06:47 PM   #3
Inactive

Soulcatcher HB User
Thumbs down Re: Questions about Antabuse

Yes he is drinking while taking it. It was supposed to be a deterant because if you drink on it you could have seizures or more.....It was supposed to make him sick if he drank and took it. He got a little quizzy but that's it. Yes it's irresponisible on his part. I was suckered into believing her quit drinking. I thought that pill was a sure bet for a life free of alcohol abuse. Guess not. There has to be something out there.

Old 09-15-2004, 11:45 PM   #4

venus21 HB User

Well, I am not quite sure how to answer your question, so I will just tell you my (my boyfriends, actually) experience with Antabuse...Hopefully this helps...

Well, my boyfriend was taking antabuse for about the last month, and just stopped taking it a couple of days ago. He got a DUI a couple months ago, and was put on antabuse as part of his probation (after also failing some BAs and the like). Anyway, when he first started taking it, I was actually kind of relieved that he wouldn't be able to drink. However, he started to have terrible side effects from taking the antabuse. He actually went temporarily blind for about 12 hours, and ended up in the emergency room. He also suffered from severe headaches, he slept all the time, he couldn't eat...all kinds of terrible symptoms. And because he was taking the pill, and it was not his choice to stop drinking, he was constantly struggling with the desire to drink, and I was constantly terrified that he would decide to drink and something horrible would happen to him. I have known a couple people that have decided to drink while taking the pill, and they both got really, really sick.

I am not sure why your husband had no problems with drinking on it. Did he just start taking the Antabuse? Because I know when my boyfriend started taking it, the first week was a kind of build up period, where they kept increasing his dose, to build it up in his blood or whatever, so it would start working. All I can tell you is that everyone I have known on it, has definitely not been able to drink while taking it, at least not without a lot of problems. In my opinion, the pill in itself is not enough to get an alcoholic to stop drinking, it is only a temporary solution.

So, anyway, I hope that helped somewhat, and I hope everything is going well for you.

Venus21

Old 09-16-2004, 05:49 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hi-
Thats how Keith Moon from the Who died-and many others-no joke-
Please tell your husband this is dangerous territory-really..its a strong med-and he could die from this..
Stop the antabuse-if hes going to drink-...
Theres no point in taking it-if he chooses to drink alcohol.
peace..
ggrl65

Closed Thread