It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2004, 03:10 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

DCV HB User
I'm in serious trouble, advice from Suboxone users please and quick!

Hi all, it's me DCV. It's been awhile since I visited the boards, I'm afraid my situation has gotten worse. Some of you warned me that self discipline was not enough to kick an Oxy addiction. So, let me say from the beginning, you were right so please, don't rub it in. I'm desperate now.

I have had limited success in my efforts to stop using percocet. I have been able to stop in phases, but never more than a couple of weeks. I've bounced in and out of use since my last visit to the boards. I'm ashamed of myself. I've never failed to accomplish anything I set my mind to, but this is a whole different ball game.

I am now to the point that I feel like I need to get on some kind of maintenance. I am not sure that methadone is what I want, due mostly to the fact that I have heard withdrawls from it are worse than from percocet. I've also heard it is just as addiciting, because it also makes you high.

And so, I'm interested in trying suboxone. I've heard good things about it, and even though it is addicting, I'm interested in it because it is also a good pain relief, which I truly need, but it doesn't make you high and thus reduces the risk of becoming "as" addicted to it as percocet.

Would someone who is using methadone or suboxone please give me a personal first hand account of the benefits and downside of both drugs?

1. Does it releive pain?
2. Do you expereince withdrawls? If so, how bad are they and what are the symptoms?
3. How long have you been using methadone or suboxone?
4. Does it make you high?
5. How long can you use it for?
6. Can you overdose from either?

Thank you in advance.

DCV

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2004, 03:57 PM   #2
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Re: I'm in serious trouble, advice from Suboxone users please and quick!

DCV -

Banker, Godessgrl, Sammi, Octomon, Dallas Alice and Rockingham and others have written excellent first hand stories on both Sub (Banker, Sammi, Godessgrl, Octomon) and Methadone (Dallas Alice and Rockingham.) I am currently looking into Sub (Oxy problem - like you) :-( --but, as yet, have no personal experience to offer.

You sound so desperate and I am really sorry. I know the feeeling. Why don't you either check the Archives for recent threads on these topics--or put in an "emergency call"--a new thread-- asking these posters where to find their stories. I am going off-line now to bed (not feeling good--withdrawal plus recent surgery. (Not recommended together ! :-) -- but will check back tomorrow to make sure you found some helpful stuff.)

I promise you'll find their information very comforting....and I know from what I've read about Sub (I'm not familiar with Methodone), you feel almost "normal" within a day of starting it. At some point, you'll want to withdraw from the Sub...but at least you will have been taught the relief of a life not regulated by the oxys...and a chance to feel all the everyday joys in life, once more! Gotta go. my very best to you. :-) Lynn

Old 09-19-2004, 08:30 PM   #3

octomon HB User

That's well said Twin.
DCV...Take a deep breath. You're okay. You've had setbacks, but you're ALIVE. There is nothing you can change in the past, but things can get better for you starting now. Don't expect to be judged for losing battles with Oxy here, as we all have many times.

I think it's possible to do a keyword search on this site for 'suboxone'? I'm kinda new here but maybe someone else knows the best way to do this. Because yeah there is a lot of info posted by me and others on the ups & downs of suboxone and methadone.

Quick answers on Suboxone:

1. Does it releive pain?
Yes
2. Do you expereince withdrawls?
They are liveable. Don't worry about this so much right now. The downside of sub-tapering is nothing compared to the benefits in my opinion.
3. How long have you been using suboxone?
About 6 months.
4. Does it make you high?
No. But DOES help a huge amount with cravings.
5. How long can you use it for?
I think the jury is still out on this one, but certainly many months if you need to.
6. Can you overdose?
Yes. But suboxone does not give you the craving to take more more & more. Of course you need to be careful with any opiate. These are no different.

Hope this helps for now. So much has been written here on Suboxone, it would take a couple of pages to repeat all the good info, so please rummage through some posts and do a search.

peace,
octomon

Old 09-20-2004, 06:26 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

Hey DCV... I've missed talking with you. Listen, don't be ashamed... that's what all addicts feel. It's o.k. I'm just so happy that you are ready to do something about it and you will be saving your life.

I don't know if you remember me but I'm a HUGE Suboxone advocate. I've been on it since Dec 1st and it literally saved my life. I take about 10 - 12 mgs per day. It's so difficult to describe but ever since the very first hour of taking it, I have had NO desires (well, one time for about 1 min I had a craving but it was because I had forgotten to take Suboxone)... for lotab or any opiates since being on Sub. It will remove any cravings and help with pain. It also does not give you a high.. and you are right about Methadone. I've taken it (the pills) and all I wanted to do was take more and more. It was better than Lortab and I would have been buying it from the streets had I started taking it regularly.

I know you are prob thinking that you are going to miss the 'high' and you will... but it's absolutely nothing compared to trying to go it cold turkey or without anything to help. It's just like you have an itch.... and with addiction, you take pills to try and scratch it, but you reach a point where the pills are never enough... Suboxone satisfies the need and allows you to be clear minded... not drug searching and to live your life seeing it like it really is. It's just so hard to explain... But I promise you that the majority of people here who have taken it, have not regretted it... even when time to wean off and go through withdrawals...

You will have wds when you get off of it... and they do last longer than regular percocet/lortab withdrawals... but from all of the research I've done, it's worth it. The alternative is rehab and working an AA/NA program which certainly can be done. When you get on Suboxone and you are thinking about getting off of it (I just recently started tapering... simply because of the weight gain it causes - about 20 lbs for me) and a few times I've thought 'man, I wish i would have just stopped cold turkey... but the bottom line is I couldn't. I could not stop taking pills for anything... And therefore I do not regret getting on it. It has changed my life.

Stay in contact w/us and let us know how you are doing.

Old 09-20-2004, 06:49 AM   #5

sammi HB User

DCV, I'm not sure that I can add anything more here than what Octomon and Banker (and of course Lynn) have already said, but let me just say that Suboxone saved my life. I was pretty much in your shoes up until March!! I had never heard of Sub nor did I know there was a drug out there like it. (thanks to Banker)
I am a chronic pain patient and Sub really does help with the pain. Sub actually started out as being a medication used strictly for pain. As for the high, no you don't get one, don't worry, you won't really want one! I have craved maybe three times since being on Sub.
I can't give you an answer about Sub w/d's quite yet, I just started a very slow taper, however I will say I have read where it has been a nightmare to come off of, and then I have read where it hasn't been as bad as hydro's. I think if you taper slowly, and I mean slowly off the Sub the w/d's are much less, just my thought....

Please keep us posted and let us know what you decide. Also, don't be too hard on yourself, I think we all have to hit rock bottom before doing the right thing.....

Take care,
Sammi

Old 09-20-2004, 10:01 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

DCV HB User

Percocet also kills the sex drive. Does sub have that side effect?

Old 09-20-2004, 10:17 AM   #7
Inactive

Cali... HB User

Don't wait. Run and call the Sub doctor! It is a life saver and you sound like a good candidate for Sub. Don't worry about WDs, just taper. When the times comes for you to get off Sub, just holler and somebody will guide you through it.

Old 09-21-2004, 06:38 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Hi-
Sub is a lifesaver-but there are things to consider..
Ive been on it for a year-and im soo much better off-no cravings/no depression related to opiate w/d-two big ones-that can conjour up a relapse..
My husband does not have a sex drive since hes been on it-but i do..interesting..so i guess it depends..
A low dose can/will hold you after the initial detox-there is also a short term sub detox-3 weeks-i tried that but relapsed on my drug o' choice..but it does work for others..everyones differant-
I would recommend this treatment to anyone who is addicted to opiates..thats struggled w/ relapses/and have a long history of drug use..
This is not for low end addiction-taking a few pills a day-but for heroin/methadone/and the folks who take 10-up pills daily for over a year at least..because it is addictive in itself..not that you will abuse it-but it sticks to the receptors-and the body NEEDS it like the pills/dope.Ive never abused the sub-and i don't believe ive read anyone posting abuse issues.
So-if you feel like this is your only way out-and detox/rehab hasn't worked for you-i think you'll be really surprised how great this treatment is-
If you use other opiates while on it-you will NOt get the benifits of the med-it works if you work it-take as prescribed/no cheating-then you stabilise and get on the road to recovery-plus it blocks any high-so there is no point of trying-
Good luck-and we are here for you...
ggrl65

Old 09-22-2004, 03:17 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Banker HB User

DCV???? How are you????

Old 09-22-2004, 11:26 AM   #10

CromeYellow HB User

I think suboxone since it is prescription and might be covered by one's insurance is better than street or illegally obtained narcotics. The naloxone component should block any ancillary narcotic use.

That said, it is still a narcotic and the addiction to its buprenorphine component is no different from addiction to any other narcotic.

I took buprenorphine for only a short period of time twice to wean off heroin and I definitely felt a high. The high was not as strong as heroin but I did feel lazy and sleep a lot, and my appetite and sex drive was somewhat suppressed, and I experienced most of the same side effects of any other narcotic.

Over time, as long as dosage is not markedly increased, the high from any narcotic will subside. But I know someone who has been on suboxone for six months now and she seems under the influence at least an hour after each dose.

Suboxone has a definite withdrawal and rebound effect
(see my post
Opiate Detox -- 3 methods I tried -- How to do it
)
for more details.

Good luck! Don't sell yourself short by thinking you have to be addicted to some narcotic in order to function. True Recovery is possible.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:19 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

DCV HB User

I'm rough, in the throes of yet another withdrawal. Trying not to use again, but feel certain that some kind of maintenance is needed for me. Not sure to go with Sub or Meth. Will call my doctor and make an appointment.

Old 09-22-2004, 01:35 PM   #12

rockingham HB User

read up under the post "Alice, Jen, Rockingham....Help MMT Questions"

it has good info about methadone treatment DCV.

good luck bro

Old 09-24-2004, 07:50 AM   #13

deborahodom HB User

Banker and others,

I want to say up front what an absolute inspiration you all are. I can't even really remember how I found out about Suboxone, but I was looking on the internet last week for some help in getting off of Oxy and I knew I DID NOT want to go on Methadone. Mainly because I did not want to take the time to go to the clinic EVERY single day. But I was looking on some "recovery" website and found the words Suboxone and Subulex and the rest, as they say, is history. I have an appointment with a doctor next Thursday to get on this medication.

I have been on 180 mgs a day of Oxy for five years now. I have successfully weaned myself off the Duragesic (Fentynl) patch (that was a trip, but I lived through it), having taken off my last patch 10 days ago. I also take 8 - 10 mg. Norco's a day. Yes, I am definately an addict. I really never abused the Oxy (only because I respect it so much and did not want to die), but I eat the Norco like they are candy. Much of this has been trying to block out the pain of losing my 20 year old son 5 years ago. And now, I am ready to move on and try to regain a drug-free life again.

In speaking with the doctor, he indicated that he would probably start me on 24 mgs. a day. Does this sound like a "normal" starting dose? Can you tell me what to expect? Do the doctor's write you a script or do you have to go weekly do get the meds? There are some conflicting reports on how this drug is distributed, so I want your input. Also, as I am not insured for scripts, can anyone tell me how much it costs (approximately)? Also, what kind of weaning process can I expect, as I don't want to become "dependent" on this drug for life?

This board has been a godsend to me. It lets me know I am not alone and boy, are a lot of people in the same boat I am. But you all are a blessing because you are success stories.

I will be checking back for your replies.

Deborah

Old 09-24-2004, 08:52 AM   #14
Inactive

Cali... HB User

Hi,
Depending on the addictionologist (usually psychMDs), they either will write a RX for it or will dispense at their office. It just depends if they want to deal with all of the extra work. My doctor dispensed at his office and thus the cost for the drug was pretty low , I thought. I live in L.A., CA and I was quite pleased with the lowered costs that I had assumed that it would not be. I am actually surprised from reading on the boards that it is quite expensive for some of you in other citites.

Don't worry about the weaning/tapering process right now too much. Your doctor will help you with that when you express to him at a later point in time that you want off. Also you can turn to this board for tapering help later. We are here for you when you want it.

Trust me you have done the right thing. Your life is only going to get better from this point on. Good luck. Great job!

Last edited by AddictionMod; 09-24-2004 at 08:56 AM. Reason: Dosage questions should be answered by physicians.

Old 09-24-2004, 09:12 AM   #15

deborahodom HB User

Cali,

thank you so much for the reply. I find myself quite excited to be taking this step. I've carried this monkey on my back for so long now. Can I ask how long you've been on this sub? And at what dosage? Can you tell me what to expect in the first few days? Also, on the day of my appointment, should I take my meds as I usually, or should I go into the appointment without taking them. I know I read from someone whose doctor gave her/him the sub right there in the office and made them wait 4 hours, but of course, I don't think that will happen because my appt. is at 7:30 p.m.

Thanks again, God Bless,

Deborah

Closed Thread