It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2004, 09:33 PM   #1

Izzorc HB User
Xanax

Hi - can anyone give me some insight into the use of Xanax. I have just been prescribed a months supply for 2 a day 60 pills. I understand the dosage is very low 0.5, does that sound correct. I have an addictive personality as it is, although I am going through a very stressful time with a newly diagnosed autistic son. Any advise on how to use this without becoming dependent would be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by Izzorc; 09-19-2004 at 09:34 PM. Reason: spelling

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 07:30 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Xanax

It is very difficult to NOT get addicted to xanax. Xanax is very addicting.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
Inactive

Cali... HB User

I feel for you because of your daily struggles with your son. However, please try to find another solution for your stress and anxiety. Xanax (benzos) is the #1 addictive RX and getting off it takes months to a year. Even at a low dose, you will get addicted fast.

Please read all of the horror stories from the board.

Old 09-20-2004, 01:32 PM   #4
Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzorc
Hi - can anyone give me some insight into the use of Xanax. I have just been prescribed a months supply for 2 a day 60 pills. I understand the dosage is very low 0.5, does that sound correct. I have an addictive personality as it is, although I am going through a very stressful time with a newly diagnosed autistic son. Any advise on how to use this without becoming dependent would be helpful.

Thanks.

All xanax does to me is knock me out.
(even at the dosage you are taking). Does it make you drowsey????
Sounds to me like you need to be alert to take care of your son,
plus xanax is addictive.
What about an anti-depressant?

Old 09-21-2004, 12:14 AM   #5

WICHRIS HB User

Hey there...Concerning your question about xanax...I also agree with the previous posts , and Wind- I had to admit I had a good laugh at your last
reply , you are exactly " straight ,sober to the point ! "...yes often times,
patients are rxd benzos,ADs as first line tx without even considering some
of the " non-chemical approaches " to reducing anxiety,stress,etc..eating
healthy,exercise regulary,yoga,mediatation,therapy," walking it off " ,etc..
However, if one MUST use a benzo as rxed by their PCP - try asking your
doc about a benzo with a longer half-life (such as diazepam,clonazepam,etc..)
the extremely short half-life of alprazolam is indeed one of the many traits
that lends to its high rate of " abuse/dependence/escalating dosages,etc.)..
However, as the previous posters replied I am in total agreement as to a
benzo being used until "..all else has failed.."..Hey Wind, on a personal note,
if I ever make it to an AA meeting , could use a " sponsor " such as yourself..
I have always respected your posts/replies,etc...

Peace..Recovery & Serenity to All...Chris

Old 09-21-2004, 07:07 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

I do sponsor a couple of people who are struggling like hell right now. If you do make it to AA/NA then get a sponsor who "likes" the same dope you do. That sponsor will know all the tricks, the deceits, the madness....all that.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:37 PM   #7

Izzorc HB User

To Windysan,

Believe me if I could do no chemicals I would, I take Zoloft for depression and everytime I try to taper off I become unwound - I do not have an addiction to antidepressants, I have a chemical imbalance. I have tried yoga, meditation, exercise etc, in order to live a balanced life, but unfortunately I have a chemical imbalance that requires medication. Secondly, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children ages 5, 3 and 2 whom, even if I do say so myself, I take care of beautifully. Unfortunately, due to no doing of my own, my son does have some issues and at this time I feel I need a little extra help with my stress levels. My question was regarding the addictiveness of Xanax, if anyone has any better suggestions on something that would temporarily help with perhaps less addictive side affects, I would appreciate knowing.

BTW, I see many people on this board have only themselves to be responsible for yet still need help in some way or another and I am sure they would all love to use no chemicals. Sometimes it is necessary, all I was looking for was a little advice to help me over the hump, especially due to the fact that I have an addictive nature.

Old 09-24-2004, 01:44 PM   #8

Izzorc HB User

Thank you for the information on the Xanax, it was exactly what I was looking for. I can see after taking it for a couple of days that it has a very short half-life and the urge to take more to retain the same effect could be VERY addicting. Do you think valium is any better? My Dr. also recommended something called "clonopin" does that sound right? Any advice/info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
Inactive

Cali... HB User

Wichris, where are you? We miss you here!

Wichris is very, very informative. She use to post a lot but now she's here and there. Unfortunately for the healthboards here, she doesn't post as often. She mentioned "clonazpam" is Klonopin. Diazepam is Valium. She used ingredient names and not brand names thus adding more to the confusion. Read all about these drugs from people who have the experiences here. Please do another search on this board. Unfortunately, they're all addictive, but if you must take one or the other then I would use a longer acting benzo. Have you tried herbal OTC supplements?

I am a single mother and I totally understand your struggles. I also have a chemical imbalance and now hormonally it seems to add to my brain dysfunctions. So I truly only have 14 days out of the month that are really good and the rest are hormonal hell. I do pretty good because I only have one child that is 6 years old. Unlike you, you have 3 under five and that can be extremely difficult.

I hope you find a solution soon. Have you tried accupuncture with meditation?

Last edited by Cali...; 09-24-2004 at 02:36 PM.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:40 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Howard678 can help you a BUNCH when it comes to benzos. He's been through the ringer with them.

Old 09-24-2004, 02:56 PM   #11

Izzorc HB User

Thanks for all your quick responses.

Old 09-26-2004, 12:49 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzorc
To Windysan,

Believe me if I could do no chemicals I would, I take Zoloft for depression and everytime I try to taper off I become unwound - I do not have an addiction to antidepressants, I have a chemical imbalance. I have tried yoga, meditation, exercise etc, in order to live a balanced life, but unfortunately I have a chemical imbalance that requires medication. Secondly, I am the mother of 3 beautiful children ages 5, 3 and 2 whom, even if I do say so myself, I take care of beautifully. Unfortunately, due to no doing of my own, my son does have some issues and at this time I feel I need a little extra help with my stress levels. My question was regarding the addictiveness of Xanax, if anyone has any better suggestions on something that would temporarily help with perhaps less addictive side affects, I would appreciate knowing.

BTW, I see many people on this board have only themselves to be responsible for yet still need help in some way or another and I am sure they would all love to use no chemicals. Sometimes it is necessary, all I was looking for was a little advice to help me over the hump, especially due to the fact that I have an addictive nature.
Zoloft itself can cause stress, this is why many who take SSRi's end up on benzos like Xanax as well. Serotonin is a powerful vasoconstrictor and excitatory neurotransmitter. Vasoconstriction will cause narrowing of blood vessels, causing stress on the heart to pump blood harder.

Anyway, over time, the brain does become dependant on an SSRi so trying to quit is either impossible for some or a long, drawn out process for others. But alot of people do patiently taper off them successfully and feel better for it.

But since you have decided to stick with Zoloft, just be mindful that benzos like Xanax are indeed very addictive, so never up the dosage (.5 is a smaller dose) and try to take only as needed to reduce chances of dependancy.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #13

LADYRET HB User

Please do not take the Xanax!!! My mother was on them for 30 years and had to be admitted to a pysch unit to get off of them. She still had problems after she came home.

Old 10-04-2004, 02:06 PM   #14

redherring HB User

Benzo's are indeed difficult to to come off of. I had a heck of a time 20 years ago getting off Xanax. I still use Xanax but only if I have a PA.

Old 10-05-2004, 02:39 PM   #15

billy HB User

xanax is addictive as cocaine and as hard a withdrawal as heroin according to addictionologist. buyer beware.

PS. Occasionally, I'll read stories about someone who doesn't have a problem w/ xanax but if you dig deeper, you'll discover they've never completely tried to get off the drug or they use it only once in awhile. reader beware.

Closed Thread