It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2004, 09:41 PM   #1

Izzorc HB User
Xanax vs Valium

hi, I posted below regarding my prescription for Xanax, I am wondering if I would be better of temporarily with valium? I find the Xanax wears off quickly and find myself needing more to retain my feeling of calmness. Does valium work for a longer period of time?, therefore needing less medication? If anyone has any suggestions/experience please let me know as I need to get over this emotional hump with my son, yet not become addicted to numbing myself.

Thanks

Old 09-19-2004, 10:36 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Ellnyc HB User
This should have been a response to your post below "Xanax"

Hi Izzorc,
I wish there was a simple answer to this. As addicts, we are always at risk of becoming re-addicted. It's just the nature of the beast. Our brain chemistry feeling relief and saying "ahhhhhh" I remember this! Please give me some MORE!
I have been clean and sober for a # of years and have been prescribed both opiates and valium while being hospitalized and post surgically. I was very grateful and fortunate that I had a huge support system (and the tools of 12 step recovery) to find my way out when it was time to stop, which is NEVER easy. Everyone is not so lucky and I have seen many people relapse (espeically with opiates). With that said, I am also not a believer in needless or unbearable suffering especially during times of crisis.
With the tools of recovery and a solid foundation AND a strong desire to stay clean, it can be done safely. Firstly, it is important to be completely honest about your former addiction with your dr. and get the minimum amount of medication necessary to cover you and know that this will be for short term use only! Also, I was told not to be secretive about taking prescribed pills again since we are as sick as our secrets. (old addictive behavior), find someone you can confide in. When at home, I was told to write down the time every pill was taken, so I wouldn't forget and take more and NEVER to take more than is prescribed without first calling the doctor.
As I said, I was (and still am) very grounded in the program of recovery which enabled me to "get out alive". Please have support around you!
Geese....it's a scary one. They say it's like letting the tiger out of the cage ...
then trying to get it back in.
I wish you the very best of luck if that is what you decide you need to do.
E

Last edited by Ellnyc; 09-20-2004 at 07:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 06:28 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Xanax vs Valium

Both drugs are bad news but the valium is "safer" as it has a longer half-life. Do not quit these drugs cold turkey. It is best to taper down using valium if you can handle a taper. Xanax and Klonipin have very short half-lives and you hit tolerance very quickly. Valium got a bad name in the 70's but it is actually "safer" than the rest. Search Google "Ashton Manual" and ********/print Dr. Heather Ashton's manual......it explains how to safely get off of benzodiazepines using valium. Stay away from the benzo forum though....too many crazies in there who'll scare the hell out of you.

Closed Thread