It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2004, 03:26 PM   #1

curtashley HB User
Tramadol

I broke my right ankle about a month ago and was prescribed tramadol for the pain. I was told not to take more than 8 a day but now I have to take 16 a day to get the same pain relief that I was getting from 8. Obviously, this is because my body is becoming dependant on the tramadol. I am most concerned with the fact that it says taking over 8 a day puts you at risk for seizures. I have never had a seizure and I never feel sick or anything when I take 16 tramadol a day. I have been taking 1mg of klonopin lately because I know that klonopin is an anti-seizure medication. Does anybody have experience taking this many tramadols per day. I have tried to find any info online about it but all I ever find is seizure risk information. Thanks in advance for your input.

The following user gives a hug of support to curtashley:
mailda401 (12-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 03:45 PM   #2
Inactive

povs83 HB User
Re: Tramadol

Tramadol 4 pain? a couple of points 2 help you out.

#1 Tramadol id generally used 2 assist in sleep.

#2 it is non-addictive.

#3 how many mg per tablet?

#4 how bad is you're pain? beyong Advil? maybe ask for Tyl #3

Good Luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Ellnyc HB User

To Povs83~
Could you be thinking of Trazadone? (Deseryl) which yes, does help to aid falling asleep? Tramadol is in fact a pain med.

To CurtAshley~
Hi!
Last week I posted here asking about Tramadol's addictive properties and the responses I got were a little surprising and a bit worrisom for me~Though most doctors say it is not addicting, if you do a search here you will find lots of people whose life has become miserable taking them and or "stopping taking them". Though, I am currently on a low dose, I still get a sense that quitting them will not be easy for me. sigh. I was also told about the risk of seizures, which would be increased for me since I was also taking an SSRI.
Rather then risk seizure, have you considered asking your dr. to prescribe something maybe a little stronger to control your pain, where you would need fewer per day? I think needing 16 Tramadol to relieve your pain sounds like you need better pain control/management.
I hope this helps.
Warm regards,
E

Old 09-20-2004, 05:35 PM   #4

dsny HB User

Tramadol is given for mild to moderate pain and yes it is addictive becuase it acts the same way opiates do.Once you stop taking them when you have been on them for a long time you will feel withdrawal symptoms.Although it is not a narcotic it binds to the opiate receptors and fools the body into thinking it has a narcotic in it.Be careful with them.

Old 09-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #5
Inactive

povs83 HB User

Opps!! my bad, yes I was thinking of Trazadone. Thanks for correcting me I'm sorry if I gave anyone bad information.

Respectfully,

Pov

Closed Thread