It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 06:32 AM   #1
(male)

trinity714 HB User
Question Question about Suboxone dosage

Wow, it's been quite awhile since I posted anything on this board. I was put on Suboxone in February after yet another in my history of many relapses and attempted periods of recovery. Currently I'm on 8 mgs. Is this a typical dose? I seem to hear stories of so many people taking 12 up to even 24 mgs., and I wondered if my dose was low.
I still have cravings on the Suboxone, which surprised me because it seems like everyone else reports absolutely no cravings.
Granted, the cravings are not nearly as bad as if I'm not on the Suboxone; then they are really basically irresistable. But even on the Suboxone they are bad enough that many days I want to NOT take the Suboxone and use other drugs. I've resisted so far, but I was wondering how much of a craving reduction most people got.
I also get a strange, "revved up" feeling on it. It's not a pleasent, energetic feeling, but more like when you drink too much caffeine and its time for bed and even though your mind is tired your body won't turn off...if that makes any sense. I also have noticed frequent nausea and headache that i wonder if could be associated with the suboxone.
Any comments about dosage and side effects would be appreciated, Thanks!

Old 09-22-2004, 07:49 AM   #2

Joesaddiction HB User
Re: Question about Suboxone dosage

I'm surprised that you have gotten cravings while on suboxone. I started out with 16mg then after 2 weeks dropped down to 8mg. I am currently on 2mg and fell great and have zero cravings. The only side effect is that I seem to have these food bingers. I am out of control when it comes to eating sometimes. It reminds me of the good old days after smoking pot and eating everything in site and it all taste good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 03:09 PM   #3

Brenda1231 HB User
Re: Question about Suboxone dosage

Trinity,

I have cravings on Sub too.
I guess it is different for everybody.

I also had some nausea and headaches. My Doc upped my dose when I complained of them. From an initial dose of 8 mg to 24mg per day.
However, due to the w/d getting off sub, and $$$ (I am not insured) I kept my dosage lower. I played around with it, from 2 mg to 16mg. While there was no noticable difference in cravings at the higher dosage, there was a decrease in the nausea and headaches at lower dosages.

After a couple weeks on the sub, I lost every bit of energy I had. I was suffering from extreme fatigue, weightloss, and severe depression. As a result, I have never stabilized on the sub.
So I have screwed around a lot with my dosage, taken diet pills and ritalin in attempts to break out of depression and have enough energy to function daily. So maybe my input is not the best, however, I started trying very hard last week to stick to one doseage and not take anything else.

I took 4 mg. a day and found myself feeling a little better (not anywhere near good) each day. Then Monday I woke with a migraine and took Tramadol for that, but forgot the Sub. Oddly, I didn't miss the sub dosage at all. However Tuesday I took it again, as I felt that old familar, 'can't get out of bed' feeling.

From all that I have read on Sub, the least amoutn you can get by on is better. However, many say that less than 8mg. has little blocking effect if you are trying to use sub for maintenance and to stay away from opiates.But for me, I have found that 4 mgs blocks hydro for me, even 5 days after stopping the sub.

Closed Thread