It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2004, 12:46 PM   #1
(female)

RubySlippers HB User
Quick ? About Drug Testing

Hello All

I just had a question about pre employment drug testing a Methadone usage. I take meth for chronic pain (along with vicodin for breakthru pain).

It's all legal and I take it strickly as directed by my doc.

I'm looking for a job (was laid off my last one) and am not sure about what will show up in a drug screen.

I'll be looking for "white collar" work...meaning no equipment usage or driving or anything like that. My work is in the technology field so there's no danger of getting hurt on the job such as construction or driving (or anything else I can think of).

Has anyone ever been in this situation? I don't know what any individual employer will check for besides the usual alcohol/pot/crank/cocain.

I wonder how I would find out what they check for before the check so I'll know to tell them I take the pain meds. On the outside I look/act like a totally "normal" person. You'd never know that I am a chronic pain sufferer unless I told you. I want to avoid the "stigma", or any preconcieved notions that a prospective employer may make if I tell them first, but on the other hand I don't want to be turned down for a job because of a "dirty" drug test.

Anybody have any advice?????

Thanks a bunch

ps: my prayers are with Sarandipity as she undergoes rehab (and everyone else on this board who is struggling)

Angela

Old 09-22-2004, 01:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Quick ? About Drug Testing

Bring a note signed by the doctor saying that you take medication for chronic pain.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-22-2004, 08:37 PM   #3

DJJester HB User

Normal drug test is for the NIDA 5........Cocaine, Marijuana, Amphetamine, Barbiturate, and Opiate..............Meth might show, Hydro won't........Previous post is exactly right...........bring note from doctor and copy of script. They cannot discriminate based on your medications unless there is some sort of hazard or it prevents you from performing your duties properly. Good luck with the new job!

Jester

Old 09-23-2004, 04:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hydro WILL show up on a standard drug test.I would be as totally and completely honest with your could be in the future boss.if you lie about ANYTHING to them while during the interview or about the drug test,you will not even be considered for the job.Employers do not like to hire people who they suspect would not be honest while under their employ.I agree with the others in that you really need to get some sort of documentation from your dr regarding the reasons for having to take the meds you are on.Then i would explain to them that the meds do not cause any major side effects such as concentration problems or anything else that could possibly keep you from doing the best job possible for them.That you have been taking these meds for quite sometime and are used to them and it would not even be an issue.But what it all boils down to here is complete honesty.good luck.Marcia

Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 AM   #5
(female)

RubySlippers HB User

Thanks for your info guys!!

I won't lie - I would never do that. I know they can't "technically" discriminate by not hiring me but it's really hard to prove if they turn me down for employment. I live in the states in a state where it's really tough for employees...it's way more employer friendly as far as discrimination/hiring/firing. I believe California is the best state as far as employee rights.

Anyhow, if push comes to shove and they DO require a test I will disclose the info as the Methadone WILL show up as an opiate.

In this tought job market....my state has the highest unemployment rate in the nation (Oregon)....I want to go in to any interview without unnecessary complications for the employer. Believe it or not, most people are not very well educated in how chronic pain folks deal with it and really can function just like everyone else although I did have a bad experience with my previous employer....they wanted our dept to work 80 hours a week for months to complete a project on time (I was a salaried employee but it even if I was hourly the extra money wouldn't have mattered). In THAT situation I had to have my doc write a note limiting me to only 50 hours a week and that was pushing it...he wanted to limit to 40 but I begged him to write 50. My boss looked down on me ever since that time cause I couldn't "pull my weight"...anyway, another loooong story.

Just don't want to present myself as any less dedicated or able to do the job.

thanks again!
Angela

Closed Thread