It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 02:00 AM   #1

sun_shine54935 HB User
Post Please help me Get off of the Pain Killers!

I am new to this, so I am sorry if this is too long. I have been on pain killers (7.5 Vicodin and percocets) for the last 3 to 4 years, and I really want to get off of them. I am a very independant person and I hate the fact that there is something that has control over me! I have come to the realization that I do have a problem. I was getting 180 7.5 Vicodin and 180 Percocet's every month. THAT IS 360 PILLS EVERY MONTH! And believe it or not most of the time they wouldn't even last me that long. I have wanted to stop taking them for a long time, and I have tried many different times. As of right now, I have stopped taking the vicodin, and I am only getting the 180 percocets each month. I think I am able to taper off of them, or at least I think so becuase of the fact that when I have been low, I have been able to ration them. I have gone from eating 15 a day down to eating 5 or 6 if I was low. Yeah, I didn't feel the euphoria but it kept my body from aching, and I was able to sleep through the night. The only reason I am taking them now is to avoid going through the withdrawls. If there wasn't any withdrawls from the pills. I would have stopped a long time ago. The times I have tried to get off of them, the withdrawls were so bad I just went right back to taking them. My doctor will give anyone pain killers! If someone said they cut there finger she would give you them. I recently went to her and asked her for help to get off of them. She gave me 1mg, 2mg, and 3mg Xanax to help with the withdrawls. The Xanax didn't help me at all, it just knocked me out and I slept all the time. I hate Xanax! Well after 2 or 3 days, I went back to her to tell her that the Xanax wasn't working, and asked her if we could try something else becuase I wasn't even able to work becuase the withdrawls are so bad! I brought up Methadone and she told me that she wouldn't give that to me. I really didn't want the Methadone, but I was desperate and just wanted something to aid me with my withdrawls so I could go to work. She wrote out a Prescription for me and said that it would help me with the withdrawls. I didn't look at the script she gave me and took it to Walgreens to get it filled. When I picked it up I was shocked. Here I am asking my doctor for help to get off of pain killers, and what does she do, she gives me 180 Percocets! I don't understand my doctor. I want to get off of them and she just gives me more. At this point in time I think I am going to go to a different doctor. I don't have many percocets left, and I need to find a doctor in the next few days to help me with the withdrawls. I know that if I don't, I will go back to my old doctor to get more pain killers (which I know she will prescribe to me) and that is NOT what I want to do. Can anyone please help me! What types of medications can help me with my withdrawls! I can't miss another day of work, or I will get fired! The only thing I know about is Methadone, but where I live that is not something a doctor will just give out. I was wondering about any other medications that can help, I know that there are some out there. Another question I have is what kind of doctor should I go to to help me get off of the painkillers. I know that if I asked any "NORMAL" doctor to help me get off of pain killers that they would probably help me. Woudn't you think?
Please help me out with this. I am mentally stong enough to get off of them, I just need help physically to get off of them. About three weeks ago, I went either 2 or 3 days without taking them, I did go through the worst of the withdrawls, but I had to go to work that 4th day, and I felt SO crappy that I took some becuase I can't miss one more day of work or I WILL be fired. I don't even get to take unpaid time off. I should have just stuck it out for that 4th day, becuase soon the withdrawls would have been over (at least the worst days of WD's) Like I said I know I have the will power I just need a little something to take the edge off and to be able to sleep at night. I would appreciate any input anyone can give me! [ removed ]

Last edited by moderator2; 09-23-2004 at 05:30 AM. Reason: please carefully review the posting rules - no emails

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 08:46 AM   #2
Veteran

bluejulie5 HB User
Re: Please help me Get off of the Pain Killers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun_shine54935
I am new to this, so I am sorry if this is too long. I have been on pain killers (7.5 Vicodin and percocets) for the last 3 to 4 years, and I really want to get off of them. I am a very independant person and I hate the fact that there is something that has control over me! I have come to the realization that I do have a problem. I was getting 180 7.5 Vicodin and 180 Percocet's every month. THAT IS 360 PILLS EVERY MONTH! And believe it or not most of the time they wouldn't even last me that long. I have wanted to stop taking them for a long time, and I have tried many different times. As of right now, I have stopped taking the vicodin, and I am only getting the 180 percocets each month. I think I am able to taper off of them, or at least I think so becuase of the fact that when I have been low, I have been able to ration them. I have gone from eating 15 a day down to eating 5 or 6 if I was low. Yeah, I didn't feel the euphoria but it kept my body from aching, and I was able to sleep through the night. The only reason I am taking them now is to avoid going through the withdrawls. If there wasn't any withdrawls from the pills. I would have stopped a long time ago. The times I have tried to get off of them, the withdrawls were so bad I just went right back to taking them. My doctor will give anyone pain killers! If someone said they cut there finger she would give you them. I recently went to her and asked her for help to get off of them. She gave me 1mg, 2mg, and 3mg Xanax to help with the withdrawls. The Xanax didn't help me at all, it just knocked me out and I slept all the time. I hate Xanax! Well after 2 or 3 days, I went back to her to tell her that the Xanax wasn't working, and asked her if we could try something else becuase I wasn't even able to work becuase the withdrawls are so bad! I brought up Methadone and she told me that she wouldn't give that to me. I really didn't want the Methadone, but I was desperate and just wanted something to aid me with my withdrawls so I could go to work. She wrote out a Prescription for me and said that it would help me with the withdrawls. I didn't look at the script she gave me and took it to Walgreens to get it filled. When I picked it up I was shocked. Here I am asking my doctor for help to get off of pain killers, and what does she do, she gives me 180 Percocets! I don't understand my doctor. I want to get off of them and she just gives me more. At this point in time I think I am going to go to a different doctor. I don't have many percocets left, and I need to find a doctor in the next few days to help me with the withdrawls. I know that if I don't, I will go back to my old doctor to get more pain killers (which I know she will prescribe to me) and that is NOT what I want to do. Can anyone please help me! What types of medications can help me with my withdrawls! I can't miss another day of work, or I will get fired! The only thing I know about is Methadone, but where I live that is not something a doctor will just give out. I was wondering about any other medications that can help, I know that there are some out there. Another question I have is what kind of doctor should I go to to help me get off of the painkillers. I know that if I asked any "NORMAL" doctor to help me get off of pain killers that they would probably help me. Woudn't you think?
Please help me out with this. I am mentally stong enough to get off of them, I just need help physically to get off of them. About three weeks ago, I went either 2 or 3 days without taking them, I did go through the worst of the withdrawls, but I had to go to work that 4th day, and I felt SO crappy that I took some becuase I can't miss one more day of work or I WILL be fired. I don't even get to take unpaid time off. I should have just stuck it out for that 4th day, becuase soon the withdrawls would have been over (at least the worst days of WD's) Like I said I know I have the will power I just need a little something to take the edge off and to be able to sleep at night. I would appreciate any input anyone can give me! [ removed ]
Find a different dr. of course.

Old 09-23-2004, 08:58 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

If you want off of everything right now then go to detox then rehab. You might try Suboxone(go to one of the suboxone threads here). I'm of the opinion that it is best to go get detoxed then do a rehab....that way you are done with it all. Tapering rarely works at all. Suboxone is something else you'll have to kick. A detox from methadone is BRUTAL and you don't want to go that route. Go get detoxed and rehabed....then start living your life again.

Old 09-23-2004, 09:41 AM   #4
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Smile Re: Please help me Get off of the Pain Killers!

Good Morning, Sunshine (Do you remember that old song??)

While I am not yet one of the Board's "succes stories" (tho I've tapered greatly), and there are others here who have more specific and experienced advice, let me just try to help where I can with your questions.

Unfortunately, I know firsthand why those controlling pills can defeat even the staunchest of us to the "whimper point"--where we are so sick from withdrawal, that we say "I just can't do it"--and cave in. Withdrawal simply HURTS. Beforehand, we cannot imagine the specific sort of chaos the body will be thrown into. Suddenly you are physically and mentally struck by unimaginable sensations. Pretty indescribible. (My own reaction is an urgent need to mimic a snake--and crawl out of my skin!) The "newness" of all these sensations, alone--is reason to grab for the pills. Withdrawal is just plain awful! But so necessary!!

So....I have such great sympathy for your suffering. (And I've done the "withdrawal at work" bit...which requires the Oscar-winning performance of your life!)

A few points....

1. YES--change your doctor! She is ignorant--and a bit crazy! Best bet would be an addictionologist--someone who thoroughly understands addiction. But, if not an addictionologist...then a psychiatrist.

2. You may be a candidate for a drug call "Suboxone" (see recent threads on this Board). It is similar to Methadone...but you can get an Rx for it...so that you do not have to stop at a clinic each day. I do not know which drug is better...I just know the Suboxone is easier to take privately.

3. The following are the medications I've heard are successful in helping out through withdrawal: Clonidine (I believe it is related to blood pressure and eases some of the physical discomfort); Immodium for the "runs" and stomach cramps; Klonipin (a benzo--acts as a sedative); and...several vitamins...which I can't remember. One may be B6 for energy. Also--hot baths at all times of the day and night are highly recommended by many posters here! Good for the creepy-crawlies.

There is a short guide to withdrawal help, called "The Thomas Recipe"--which includes the above suggestions--and lists those two vitamins I can't remember! Perhaps you can find it on the archives here.

Like you, I, too, take just enough opiates to ward off withdrawals. It is a terrible cycle. You end up NEVER feeling good. But, for myself, withdrawal symptoms bring on such terrible depressive attacks....which inevitably make me grab for a pill. Going through another clinical depression is what I fear most about withdrawal. And I have pretty much decided that I will try the Suboxone, as most people find a sense of normal well-being with them.

I take the occasional Klonipin to help with withdrawal...and an Ambien at night if I can't sleep. I've read that Xanax is not a good drug to be on...but I'm sure Klonipin is not good either!! I try to take very, very little of it.

I do hope I've given you a few suggestions, until some of the more knowledgeable posters, who have come through withdrawal successfully, pipe in, here! I am so sorry for what you are going through....and I empathize so much.

Please let us know how you are doing...and please keep writing! :-) Lynn

The Following User Says Thank You to Twinlynn For This Useful Post:
fellinfroggy216 (07-19-2012)
Old 09-23-2004, 10:51 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Nope.....Klonipin is about as bad as Xanax. Whatever you do....don't throw benzos(xanax, klonipin, ambien, valium, librium) into your mix. Clonidine does help. Detox/rehab is the best way to go.

good luck

Old 04-22-2005, 03:51 AM   #6
(female)

Katz33 HB User

Katz33...
I had been off painkillers for about four weeks, and then lo and behold I relasped. I know I only took one Vic and a couple Valiums, but still I know the tremendous effort in overcoming this slavery to such a horrid addiction. It probably does not help that I live with an active meth user--my brother. When he relapses my will diminishes and I cave into the cravings. Right now, I feel like I twadled a lot of precious time on a drug that has probably altered my brain chemistry, so much so, that I wonder if I will ever feel enthusiasm again for life. Yet, I know--one day--I will move on and away from this purgatory. I wish I could help you with withdrawls--try Klonipin, GABA, Red clover, milk thistle and drink plenty of fresh lemon-saturated juices mixed with Rosemary, and more importantly slowly titrate yourself off of those evil pills. Go to counseling, go to N.A. meetings and SMART meetings--anything to get away from isolating yourself to the point of relapse, which has happened to me. However, I suffer from depression and A.D.D. and that makes it ever so difficult to overcome this sinster cloud of temptation that follows me everywhere. I hope you can overcome and feel better about yourself--I should be one to talk. It will be a long hard struggle, as it is with me, but, hopefully, in the long run it will be worth it. Take Care....

Old 04-22-2005, 05:04 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

slipperyslope HB User

For me the only way I could quit was to cold turkey it. Its not pleasant but its totally do able. you just need to have time off from work, and since that is not an option for you, your going to have to do it over a weekend and than go on to work Monday, you ususally feel better after about 5 days. you can take Motrin for the aches and imodim for the runs. we all suffer to some extent coming off the drugs but its just like you have the flu no energy and achy but you can manage it. have you tried a taper plan? you can start weening down, pill by pill. that does lesson the chances of bad with drawals and I have done that as well...

you do sound like a good canidate for suboxone, you should look into that and see if there are any Dr's around that can help you. but eventually you will have to get off that to ,and that is also not an easy task.

It has really saved and helped many people, I say look into it. I also think Detox would be a good idea for you, but since your job is not going to let you take the time off, that might not be an option for you.

good luck!

p.s I hate to say this but your Dr is every pill addicts dream come true, but its NOT a good thing for you to be seeing her anymore. you need to change Dr's ASAP or its not going to end...

Closed Thread