It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2004, 06:03 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User
suboxone taper/detox-post experiences...

I thought it would be a good idea to start a thread dedicated to people getting off suboxone-there taper plans-and detox experiences-
Im hoping this may encourage newbies-and old timers to post-and give encouragement-to those going thru w/d and tapering off.
I finally made it to 3 mgs-took over a month of trying but im at 3 now-and ive been doing alot of research on the subject.
Unfortunately-the news isn't as good as id hoped.
It appears that the detox from sub is extremely difficult-as fisherpard-described-and those of us tapering and coming down are going to need alot of support.
Obviously it can be done-and several of us are getting down in dose now.
Im interested in hearing those stories of success-and hope..as well as the dark side-I know there has got to be some people out there who stay silent-reading the posts-
So its a shout-out to newcomers..please tell us your story!
Thank you...
peace to all-
ggrl65

Old 09-23-2004, 07:58 AM   #2
Inactive

Cali... HB User
Re: suboxone taper/detox-post experiences...

Ggirl65,
I will be here for you when the time comes just as I was for Fisherman. You should be proud that you even made it to 3mg. Remember to taper at a slow rate. See how "Sammi" is doing. She's dropping her dosage 1/2mg every week. I tapered and went down to chips and I mean literally chips.

You will have to exercise loads and I suggest heavy intensity type so you will feel so tired that #1-the endorphins helps you with your depression when you are in WDs and #2-it will alleviate your physical WDs. I can help you with an exercise program, but I suggest you to start now. So further down the weeks, you body will be prepared to handle the WDs.

I can suggest OTC tonics to help too. It will not be easy, but if you taper it should help tremondously.

Just holler and I will come! No worries! Its only a temp thing remember. Once you have overcome all of it, you will not want to go back.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-23-2004, 05:14 PM   #3

dschne HB User

I will be helping with this thread I have been on since apr and am now ready to get off the sub. I have a few set backs due to surgery but I feel I can handle it.The thing that scares me is the low dosage everybody is on comared to me my Doc has always given me the 8mg pills and started me on 4 a day i take 2 now and am ok but that is a long way away from 3mg a day so I am kinda worried but hopefully god will give me the strengh as needed to make it through this.Sub is a very weird drug it gets you off the hydro just really cant explain some of the feelings of up and down I have had on it.
I hope and pray we all can get off this stuff.

D

Old 09-23-2004, 11:12 PM   #4

NICKY__6 HB User

hey guys i been on suboxne over 6 months 16mg a day and i want to stop can someone suggest a plan cause i get so sick when i try cold turkey i cant move and my mind gets the best of me

i am not complaining cause suboxne truly saved my life and made me ME again but i wanna be able to say i am clean and BE clean

thanks
nicky

Old 09-24-2004, 05:16 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Good mornin friends-
Thanks for the hope-Cali...you did it..(bowing down)..And you sound great-
I got really wiggy reading TOO much info..(and theres alot)on the net..
Going down to 3 mgs-i can tell/i woke up a little needy-but now i feel a modicum of self control..it took a while to get off that 1 mg..
And dsche
My doc gave me the 8 mgs-for a long time-i had been prescribed 16 mgs-but i went down in dose-based on finances..i did not have insurance at the time-
so-id take 8 instead-it held me-and i always dosed just once a day..
I bet if you tried taking 8 mgs-one morning-you would be surprised.
Alot ive read-suggests-the less is more-theory..with the sub-based on its potency-
You also mentioned the Up and down feelings-my mood swings are really intense-i am going thru some other issues w/ depression/etc-BUT..both my husband..who could be the poster boy for sub-(we both get bitchy and he explains it -takes the highs and lows out-w/ peaks of agitation-but mostly feels-kinda null-..does that make sense???No sex drive-either.
But as we all know- SUB is an amazing medication-the fact you can make a hardcore junky -lift the cravings/obsession-so you can concentrate on living beyond drugs....
give a person a chance to sort out life-ive never had such good sobriety-
one problem..im not entirely sober..
Its a holding pattern..
Cali-can you give us-your basic taper plan-since you successfully came off -
That may be helpful to people like Nicky6-or others trying to come down..
Thanks guys..
Happy fall-
ggrl65

Old 09-24-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
Inactive

Cali... HB User

Hey everybody,

Have to make this short..but wanted to post something.

Yes, the sub made me feel that way too. Weird feelings that went in my brain..I can't explain it intelligiently.

IMO, I suggest to drop 1/2mg dosage a week. Cut out your PM dosage and maximize the 24-36 hour ceiling effect that Sub gives you.

We can all set a day together to drop at the same time. What do you guys think?

How's Sammi? I know her doctor instructed her the same.

Good luck everybody....You guys can do it! Its just another obstacle to the crazy game of opiates. You will feel so friggin great after you are off opiates that its like getting your life back and getting a second chance! You won't be sorry..You have to be strong though.

Old 09-25-2004, 07:55 PM   #7

sammi HB User

Hello Cali, I'm finally here....I am doing great, thanks for asking. I will be dropping by another 1/2 mg on Thursday. So currently I'm taking 2 1/2 mg's per day. I only had a headache for the first day after dropping by 1/2 mg, however I'm not sure it was really related to the decrease in Sub being we were in the red zone for allergies. I know it's going to take me forever to completely get off of Sub, but I truly think the slower you do it the better.

So for any of you who doesn't know what my taper plans are, here they are: My Dr who is an addictionologist/physchiatrist has me decreasing my Sub intake by 1/2 a 2mg tablet every 3 WEEKS. But I will say that you really have to be ready to do it. Not because your Dr wants you too or someone else, you have to be ready. I think that is why some fail often because it's just not the right time. Maybe they're wanting to rush into being "clean" and off of all drugs, but guy's if you're really not ready, don't do it!!

Cali, so are you feeling "normal" again? It's been what, three months? I know you have a lot of stress being a single mom and I thought you said you were going to school, not sure, but heck, just being a single mom in itself is difficult. My husband has been working out of state for the last six weeks and lucky for me prior to him leaving he has had a chef come in every two weeks and prepare food for myself and the little one's, but oh my gosh, it's not something I could handle day in and day out.
So a big congratulations to you for becoming clean and staying clean!!!

I've gotta run, talk to you soon...
Sammi

Old 09-26-2004, 05:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User

Sammi-
How are you-?
You sound good-1/2 mgs-every 3 weeks=4 months or so..Thats close to where im at..
I started this thread cos i was "researching' one morning about sub(detox)-and i got really overwhelmed..how many people are on it/trying to come off it..
I woke up this morning and i felt the w/ds from the drop in dose.
And-for the first time in ages-i had actual REAL cravings last night-maybe i won't be able to come off as fast as id hoped.
Im actually a bit scared..
What a nice husband..to help while he is away..That is amazing...I would love someone to come in and cook-send him over when hubby comes home..lol
I thought i was ready..i got to do this sometime..ill just keep following the plan-and when its down to crumbs-ill do that..
I was hoping that others who may be reading these posts but not replying would talk about getting off the sub-there is alot of info out there.
Im having kind of a rough time w/ my depression issues-got to start over w/ a new therapist..the weight gain is really bothering me-and there is so much family stuff going on-im not on top right now..thats enuf of my 'kvetching"...
i love you all-(((hugz))))
ggrl65

Old 09-26-2004, 05:48 AM   #9
(female)

KIMBEE HB User

Hello all, I too will be tappering in a few months, and am so scared! Its not because I really want to, but the drive I have to make every month just to get my prsciption is wearing me out. I have to drive out of state, because the doctors here only do detoxes with Suboxone, not maintenance. I only have a 2 and half hour drive to get there but it still is an all day thing. My doctor wants me to drp a mg. a month, does that sound about right? I am at 6mgs now so it shouldnt take too awfully long, but I just hope I can handle this procedure, He assured me if I had any problems and wanted back on I could stay on it forever. But like I said, the drive is really taking its toll. And it really angers me that he keeps reassuring me that it is a breeze to come off of , if you do it slowly. Why do you think he keeps telling me that? I honestly think he really believes it. I wish you all much luck in your road to recovery, I hope things go smoothly for you as for me too. Goddessgrl, how long have you been tapering now? Its been a while since I have been on board? Is the depression from the tapering? Thats the one thing I cant handle, the major depression that comes along with tapering, I fail everytime it hits me. Keep up the great work!!!

Old 09-26-2004, 06:11 AM   #10

sammi HB User

Ggrl65, my friend I wish I were there to give you a hug. You know, maybe you should go back to the dosage where you were not craving and stay there until everything calms down a little. You have come too far to throw it all away. Get your depression under control, which I think will improve if you loose the weight you would like too.

I am sorry you are having so many family problems=( Life is way too short to deal with all the crap they are putting you through, don't they realize this??? Maybe the best thing to do is remove yourself from the situation. Is that possible?

Please hang in there, you know there's hope because look at your husband. Hasn't he done a great job? You're going to get through this!!!

Kimbee, my dr is also doing an extremely slow taper and he swears this is the key. He said he has had three patients in the last three months come off of a slow taper that experienced only mild w/d's. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck...

Sammi

Old 09-26-2004, 10:39 AM   #11
Inactive

Cali... HB User

Hey everyone...

Sammi~
Glad you are doing well on the drop dosage. Yes, the headache is from the Sub WDs. Its funny, I use to think it was allergies too because I would get sinus headaches the same way.

I think it is wise and safe when your DR has you maintain your dosage for 3 weeks. I believe that can help your WDs and your cravings. That totally makes sense.

Ggrl65,

I agree with Sammi. I believe you are dropping and not maintaining at the dosage for your brain and your body to adjust too. Hence your depression. I also got depressed while dropping. Its part of the WDs. Is it hormonally related too? That mix is pure hell! I feel for you, hon. I hate to be Jack Lalane, but please exercise. Just walk for 30 minutes non-stop and that will help alot.

You should follow Sammi's plan of action. You have come such a long way and I would hate to see one little thing set you back. You've worked much too hard!!! Please stay at your dosage for a couple of weeks. Don't rush..BTW, what is the rush to get off it? You will be sober one of these days but don't risk everything you worked so hard for. The WDs will get you back to square one and trust me, been there and done that!

Yes, I've been sober for about 3 months now. Its great not depending on pills for your existence. At times I still think about hydros and such....but I just re-train my thoughts to other things. I have always been an overachiever and my life has been very very stagnent because of my addictions in the past. I still need time to re-group and regain my confidence and strength. Its like the opiates rewire your brain to become a loser or something!

One thing that has definitely made me see the light is the difference in my relationships again especially one with my daughter. While on the hydros, they rob you of any rationale that you may have thus your relationships suffer tremondously. On the Sub, it gives you that false sense of security and I knew that I wanted my life back to normal after that . I guess that is where Sub is successful. Its been such a long road and I thought I will never be opiate free, but I am.

Kimbee,

Don't be scared! It will take a while but I suggest for you a very slow taper as well. I can't believe that you had to drive out of state to get your RX! Can't they send it to you in the mail? That is perfectly legal if you have a RX for it. You can do it!

Good luck everybody and y'all are doing great! Hang in there and keep your mind and body busy with stuff. Out of sight, out of mind....Mind over matter!

Last edited by Cali...; 09-26-2004 at 10:44 AM. Reason: typos

Old 09-26-2004, 09:36 PM   #12

CromeYellow HB User
Wink Re: suboxone taper/detox-post experiences...

Please take a look at my post:
Opiate detox -- 3 methods I tried -- How to do it

for more details on how to get off opiates in general and what to expect during and post-detox. I used buprenorphine (active ingredient in subutex and suboxone) to detox from heroin.

The key is to get off the buprenorphine as soon as possible. Ideally, this means within a couple weeks of using it to get off a different opiate such as heroin, hydrocodone (Vicodin), oxycodone (oxycontin), etc.

If that is not possible...as soon as possible translates to getting off today instead of tomorrow. The longer one stays on any opiate the harder the final detox will be.

There are theories that heroin addicts given their heroin legally can lead normal healthy lives (and hence that suboxone users can live the same quality of lives as clean and sober addicts) but I disagree because constant use of any mind altering substance cuts off spiritual growth.

Even if medically opiates are relatively benign compared to say alcohol no human body functions better on drugs than off.

I do firmly believe that mind altering substances halt spiritual growth. In other words, that no drug is entirely benign. Therefore, in my opinion, True Recovery does not even begin until one is clean and sober.

Don't sell yourself short. True Recovery is possible.

Last edited by CromeYellow; 09-26-2004 at 09:42 PM.

Old 09-27-2004, 04:45 AM   #13
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Smile Re: suboxone taper/detox-post experiences...

Godessgrl,

Just sending you a virtual hug. I know how awful that "tapering" depression can be (not from any experience with sub, but with other opiates.) And you are starting to crave again. Plus you have other personal worries you are dealing with right now. That's a lot all at once.

Are you certain that you need to taper as quickly as you are? Could you try a slower taper...and explain to your doctor that both the cravings and depression are returning? Is it the weight gain that is driving you to taper at a certain speed? Why, after a successful period with the Sub having such a positive effect, are you upset about it enough to be so worried about very slow tapering.

Please forgive me if I've missed any posts your wrote, explaining these answers.

One very noticeable thing I see happening on this Board is that a fair amount of people who spoke of feeling "normal" for the first time, happier again..of having their lives back because of the Sub....are, all around the same time, suddenly threatened by it and wanting to get off it. I understand the drug-free issue (and the weight gain must be no fun!)--but--has something happened with you all re, the Sub that made you all almost simultaneously want to leap off it??? Has it lost its effect? I am really puzzled as to this "mass flight from the ship"!!!

Once I am on it...I hope to stay on it for awhile. But with all the withdrawal stuff I'm hearing about Sub...it sounds like something to stay on for LIFE, rather than face withdrawal!! One thing I know, personally, is that if it does two things--one, allows me to feel normal again. and, two, helps keep depression at bay--then I certainly will ask to be on it for a long time.

For myself, it's always the depression that I can't seem to deal with. So, I know how you feel when that becomes a withdrawl issue. Anyway, just want you to be sure that you don't go through unecessary suffering, by doing too quick a taper.

Hope things are better for you real soon. love, Lynn

Old 09-27-2004, 07:40 AM   #14

sammi HB User

Hi Lynn, how are things going for you? Have you made any decisions as to whether or not you're going to try Sub? I will tell you the ONLY reason I am ready to taper off of Sub is I truly feel like I'm ready to stop taking all meds. However I will say that being I have chronic pain I am somewhat worried about once I am off sub if I will be able to manage the pain. Accupuncture and physical therapy has really helped me, but at some point in the future I will have to have back surgery. I agree with your post above, it does seem like we're all tapering at once. But let me tell you, if I had it to do all over again, I still would go the Sub route.

Suboxone WILL get you back on track to living a "normal" life. It will get you back into the routine of not looking at the clock to see when you can take your next pill. And yes, it definitely helps with the depression. The only suggestion I have is don't let your Dr start you out on a high dosage, start with 4mgs a day and see if that helps, if it doesen't then try six mgs and I would highly reccommend that you take it all at once vs throughout the day so that way you're not getting yourself back into that old routine of looking at the clock to see when you should take another pill. You will know if the amount that you're taking is not enough because you will crave and just not feel good.

I will also add that as of this Thursday I will be dropping my dosage by another 1/2 mg, however, I will not hesitate to stay on sub if I can't get my back pain under control. Look at fisherman, he is now taking Subutex because of his pain. If I'm going to have to take something for the pain, which advil and tylenol doesn't really give me any relief, I would rather take Sub than hydro's. I just want you to know that you shouldn't be afraid of taking Sub!! And I know you have done plenty of research and looked at all of your options and let me tell you from experience, I think Suboxone was the best route for myself, it gave me my old life back!! Also, when the time comes for you to taper, I truly believe if you do a slow taper like myself, I'm dropping by 1/2 a mg every THREE WEEKS, then the w/d's will be significantly less.

Please keep me posted as to what you decide...

Love,
Sammi

Old 09-27-2004, 04:51 PM   #15

dschne HB User

There was some one a long while back who stated they basically stopped the sub and went back on a low dose of hydro to wean off the sub.does anyone remember who that was? .Being on the sub you get to a point you olmost feel like you just say im going to stop taking it today if wasnt for the known fact of the w/d,s later(does that make sense to anyone) or at least that is how I feel now just dont want to take anything anymore. I am having my 2nd surgery on oct 19th was planning to get off the sub then while I was home anyway laid up.Atleast that is my thinking and I really beleive the part about exercising and sweating this stuff out of your body I think it really helps.To fisherman are the w/d,s the same as hydro all the bad things you experience while withdrawing from it or worse.The bad part now that I think back is 7-10 days and the worste of the hydro would be over I am sure worried about 1 month of all that stuff.anyways the long and short of my rambling is it is time to get off for me and I need to figure out how.My doc is very little help he just basically tells you to start taking less and no warning about any w/d,s and he is recovering AA 15yrs so not real simpathetic to my plight.
thanks everybody for all your inspiration and help this is a blessed group of folks.
Dan

Closed Thread