It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2004, 04:36 AM   #1

sueinoz HB User
Oxy rehab

It's been a long time since I posted but now have lots to tell. Previously I posted about my man on oxy's. To cut a long story short, he takes 10 - 12 80mgs a day of oxycontin. Well not anymore. He has found a fantastic doctor that wants to help!!!! He is on a weekly tapering program at the moment and is now down to 7 x 80mgs as of today. He has his rough patches but is over all is doing great. When he is down to 6 he is going into detox for 7 - 14 days, fully subsidised by the Australian government. To help resist temptation while he is tapering he collects his allocated daily dose from the pharmacy each morning. It's a bit rough for him first thing in the morning until he gets down to the chemist, but I am so proud of his determination.
I am so glad he has finally found a doc that wants to help, rather than just write another script and put him in the "too hard basket". Within hours of his first appointment this doc had an appointment for him with a counsellor and an appointment the next day at the detox centre.
He and I both know that he will go through hell at detox but please all pray that he has the strength to get through and come out "clean". Detox centre were the ones that suggest that he taper first. They were afraid that if he went in on such a high dose and failed that he would be too afraid to try again.
Well if anyone is interested I will keep you all posted on his progress. I would love to hear anyones thoughts on this plan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2004, 05:38 AM   #2
(female)

HydroQueen HB User
Re: Oxy rehab

By all means keep us posted. I'll pray for both of you and kudos to you for hanging with your man thru this drama. Cat >..<

Last edited by HydroQueen; 09-27-2004 at 05:39 AM.

Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 AM   #3
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Sueinoz -

That's great news for you and your husband. While I have never been through a detox program myself, I find it wonderful to hear that the detox doctor thought through the psychological aspects of failing....and suggested to your husband that he try to taper down BEFORE checking in for the detox. The reaction to failure is so often "the last straw". There is all this self-esteem involved--and for many addicted people, a failure just confirms what they already "knew"--that they are "weak and worthless." And that image of themselves is so hard to remove.

By considering and incorporating your husband's psychological needs, in addition to his body's physical reaction to detox, they are helping set him up for "success." I find it so encouraging that a clinic would integrate the "entire" person--both physically and mentally--even BEFORE they start the program! :-)

Sounds like he is doing well...and I'll bet he already feels much better about himself...and will take that attitude with him to detox.

Please..definitely keep us up to date! And thanks for writing!

Lynn :-)

Old 09-27-2004, 10:21 AM   #4

rockingham HB User
Angry Re: Oxy rehab

i have grave concerns about the level of oxycodone he is taking each day in regard to when he will enter detox.

when i withdrew it was from oxycodone. i was taking 50mg at a time in the days prior to going thru my withdrawal. it was very very bad. i slept 0 hours over a period of 5 nights. yes 0. not to mention i was like a jitterbug in the bed. continuous nonstop twitching and jerking of my legs with no stopping. NO REST OR STOPPING OF THE INVOLUNTARY TWITCHING AND JERKING AT ALL. i cant make this point more emphasized! during the day was better. i could function. but i could not stop moving or sit still in any way. there are NO words to describe the acuteness of the physical symptoms i experienced during this withdrawal period. i knelt and thanked God when i was able to get more opiate pain pills to stop the withdrawal.

he will be on 500mg of oxycodone per day when he goes into detox. i promise you his detox[withdrawal] will not end in 7-14 days. withdrawing from that fantastic amount of oxycodone will bring on a monumental physical withdrawal.
without medicine to assist i dont believe he will sleep for an indefinite period of time. trying to lay in bed at night will be all but impossible. he will be excrutiatingly uncomfortable.

no bath no vitamin no anything will bring relief except medicine that can be prescribed to aid in withdrawal. i am praying for his sake that this will be a medically assisted detox. without these medications, particularly clonidine, he will want to die rather then continue on. this is the reality he faces without getting prescribed medicine to assist with physical withdrawal symptoms.

im the harbinger of bad news here but this man needs to know what he faces

Old 09-27-2004, 03:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

I have to jump in on this post, cuz, i can talk from experience, but NO way near that amount. Yes, i agree w/Rockingham. It's definitely gonna be rough. Oxycodone is as rough as heroin they say. My drug of choice was and still IS oxycodone, and i'll tell ya, the w/d from oxy is so, so much worse than a hydro w/d, in my opinion. I too, was violently twitching non-stop for about a week straight. Sleep was sooooo hard to come by, i slept maybe an hour or so a night, and i considered that VERY LUCKY!!!! I was violently puking and having uncontrollable diarrhea for a good 5 days and your husband is coming off of much, much more!!!
This isn't gonna be a cake-walk by any means. I envy him for having such a supportive spouse though. That in itself will help him tremendously thru-out this hellish ordeal. Prepare yourself and prepare him. They will try to make him as comfortable as possible, i am sure, but it's definitely a tough beast to beat down. Stand by him, tell him how proud you are, and how much you love him, he needs the tons of support right now. He is going to need to go to at least 2 meetings a day when he gets out just for the mental aspect of this hell. A good friend of mine has about 95 days clean off of oxy right now and it has been a struggle for his life back. His intake was extremely high like your husbands. I'll tell you, what i saw him go thru, should cure me in itself. I have NEVER seen such illness, but he just tapered then dropped off and started 3 meetings a day once the violent illness subsided. That is the key ....MEETINGS and support!. I give you a lot of credit and i hope we didn't scare you away, but he IS in for a hefty w/d... take care and keep us posted..
luv,
LISA

Old 09-28-2004, 01:13 AM   #6

sueinoz HB User

I have seen my man go without oxycontin for 3 days when he "over did it" and had to wait for another script. It certainly was not pretty. Fortunately the detox centre that he is going to is medically manned 24/7 with medication availible at the drs discretion.
He knows he has to do this. He is 43yrs old and knows that he can never have a normal life until he is rid of this poisen. I actually left him in July and moved back to my home town 1000kms away to make him realise what he was doing. He lasted 7 weeks without me and has now come down here to me. Prior to the present, he had full custody of his 9yr old son, and was allowing the kid to run an absolute muck. He is in yr 4 at school and has been suspended 4 times all because the kid has no concept of obedience or consequences. This is another thing that was caused by his oxycontin addiction. Everytime things got tough with t he kid, he would pop another pill, and hope that the problem would go away. It is unreal what these pills have done to his attitude to life.
Well the boy is now back with his mother and my man is here with me trying to get clean. I love him to death and I am with him all the way on this. He is not allowed to have visitors while in detox, but he can phone me and I can phone the clinic anytime to get updates on him. I just pray that he will be in good hands and get all the help he can.
Thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and will keep you up to date with what is happening. And yes, all ready he is a different person just taking the 3 less pills a day. But you know really its more than 3 less because some days, especially when his boy was playing up, he took up 14!!!!. The new dr that he is seeing here now cant believe that he can still even function!!!

Old 09-28-2004, 03:42 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

lisaaahubb HB User

Please keep us posted!!!!! This will help a enormous amount of people by reading this story. If your hubby can do this....ANYONE can!!! You are great to be so supportive, that is exactly what he needs. You might want to read some of the posts on the board so you know what to expect. Have you been thru w/d with him before??? That is a HUGE habit, it is amazing how he is able to function....thankfully there is NO tylenol or asprin in Oxycontin...or he would've OD'ed by now from high levels in liver and kidneys.
Keep in contact with me, o.k.????? I am anxious to hear how his detox is going and how YOU are doing. Take care....and have a good Tuesday!!!
luv,
LISA

Old 09-28-2004, 06:03 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Try not to worry too much. The doctors will take care of him.

Closed Thread