It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2004, 07:26 PM   #1

octomon HB User
Question Clonidine Questions

Some of you may know I'm currently on a suboxone taper [12-16mg/day 3 weeks ago, 4mg/day now].

I keep hearing the drug clonidine mentioned for WD symptoms. My questions are basic - What does it help with, how effective is it, is there a huge difference when using it, any troubles with side-effects or discontinuing use?

I'm very fine right now, but of course my ultimate goal is to be opiate-free. If anyone has some general knowledge or personal experience to share, it will be so helpful to me, and may improve my taper experience/success.

Thank you VERY much in advance.

octomon

Old 10-02-2004, 08:07 PM   #2

psychbaby HB User
Re: Clonidine Questions

I just mentioned that I used that in detox myself.

Probably the most important thing to watch is your blood pressure since that's it's main use. In detox, obviously they monitored that periodically - limits were to give it if above 100/60. One night I almost passed out standing, lost my vision for a few secs, then when they took my BP, it was 80/50, whoopsie! So the dose was lowered.

Did it help? Hard to say, since it's not like you get a "feeling" like from taking a narc or something... but since the detox wasn't too awful for me, it must have been doing something?

I sure wish I had something now though. I feel like I'm about to jump out of my skin!

Good luck m'dear,
~pb

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2004, 06:01 AM   #3
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by octomon
Some of you may know I'm currently on a suboxone taper [12-16mg/day 3 weeks ago, 4mg/day now].

I keep hearing the drug clonidine mentioned for WD symptoms. My questions are basic - What does it help with, how effective is it, is there a huge difference when using it, any troubles with side-effects or discontinuing use?

I'm very fine right now, but of course my ultimate goal is to be opiate-free. If anyone has some general knowledge or personal experience to share, it will be so helpful to me, and may improve my taper experience/success.

Thank you VERY much in advance.

octomon
Hi Octomon! I just started clonidine too. Yes the biggest concern is monitoring your blood pressure. It usually has a parameters set by the prescribing doctor (ie hold if the systolic (top number) BP is less 100). It has a calming effect too. Be careful is sudden change of movements, avoid laying to standing right away. Clonidine (or almost all blood pressure medicine) causes orthostatic hypotension. Therefore, be careful of sudden change of position.

Van

Old 10-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #4

octomon HB User

Thank you both for sharing. What drove me out of my freakin' mind at 36 hours into my cold turkey detox, were the leg shakes/spasms/"crawl out of my skin" feeling...

I'm assuming the clonidine helps a lot with these symptoms? Lastly, is this something one can get a script for, or is it only administered by a doctor?

Thanks again.
octomon

Old 10-03-2004, 09:42 AM   #5
(female)

agentalias HB User

clonidine is a RX written only by a doctor. It helped me but it made me so so sleepy. It did help with the physical WDs as well. It didn't take them away completely but made the WDs bearable temporarily. There is no cure all pill with WDs, only time can be your friend. Again- exercise does help tremondously and hot baths.

Good luck. You're doing great. Take care and be strong.

Old 10-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #6

fisherpard HB User

Octomon,

Use the clonidine patch because it will help the w/d's very much. It acts a lot like a anti anxiety drug in making you more calm. It can make you sleepy but it did not for me. I have HBP anyway so it helped to keep my BP down also.

Fisherman

Old 10-03-2004, 04:51 PM   #7

octomon HB User

Great tip - thank you. I will ask my doc tomorrow.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:42 PM   #8
Inactive

hardknocks HB User

The clonidine patch is very helpful, I personally believe the sleepiness that you get is not really from the patch but from the wd's. You need to be careful if you stay on the patch for an extended period of time your doctor needs to ween you off of it because it can spike up your blood pressure if you remove it suddenly. It does help with the wd's tremendously and gives you a calming effect. The tiredness wears off by about the 2-3 day.

Old 10-04-2004, 09:27 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Yes, clonidine works well. It does make you sleepy so don't operate machinery.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:53 AM   #10
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Does anyone know how long does a person stay on clonidine for detox? I read it's about seven days and the doc weans it down within those days.

My PCP put me on 0.2mg 3 times a day but didn't tell me when to stop.

Old 10-06-2004, 08:54 PM   #11
Inactive

hardknocks HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard
Does anyone know how long does a person stay on clonidine for detox? I read it's about seven days and the doc weans it down within those days.

My PCP put me on 0.2mg 3 times a day but didn't tell me when to stop.
It really depends on the person and how addicted you were to opiates. For me I was on the clonidine patch for about 5 days. When I got off of the patch I watched by BP very closely with a monitor that I had purchased. My BP did spike up at one point to 150/90 which I was told by my doctor is not that high for a short period of time. But 5 days did it for me. Clonidine was great and I had little or no problems with it. It actually took the anxiety way down and I actually was sort of bummed when I got off of it.

I hope this helps,

Ralph

Old 10-07-2004, 12:38 AM   #12

octomon HB User

Yes it does - thank you. Gosh I wish I had thought to get the patch before I entered detox withdrawals. I'm sure I could have gone further with less hell.

Old 10-07-2004, 02:40 AM   #13
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by octomon
Yes it does - thank you. Gosh I wish I had thought to get the patch before I entered detox withdrawals. I'm sure I could have gone further with less hell.

Don't beat yourself senseless. Are you still feeling a little WD? If you do then it's not too late to consult with your physician if you can get clonidine tabs or patch. Personally I prefer tablets, I just have to not miss a dose. People sometimes complains that the patch may them itch.

Van

Old 10-08-2004, 10:32 PM   #14

Bart Garrabrant HB User

Hi,
Clonidine works great. I took 15 - 20 10/325s a day for about 3 years. Went on clonidine and it took care of about 95% of the withdrawl symptoms. Just a little. I mean little Anxiety. They put me on a one week patch and BOOM. I took it of and the I was back to norm. I hear thoguh that it workd differnt for different people. But give it a try. Check into the Patch You dont have to worry about taking pills every 4 hrs. put it on for a week and your done.
I hope this was of some help.

Bart.

Closed Thread