It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2004, 06:58 PM   #1
(male)

Vanguard HB User
Today Is The Day (2nd Chapter)

Just want to share that I went to my mandatory evaluation today and the counselor was happy to say that he thinks that I'm running fast towards recovery by accepting that I'm an addict and showing my willingness to get better.

Then at 7:30pm, I went to my very first NA meeting.

Van

Old 10-07-2004, 03:56 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: Today Is The Day (2nd Chapter)

Good job. The first step is tough to take. Getting to the first step is terribly painful. Keep going to meetings and try to get a sponsor....someone who did the same drugs you are having problems with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 05:33 AM   #3
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windysan
Good job. The first step is tough to take. Getting to the first step is terribly painful. Keep going to meetings and try to get a sponsor....someone who did the same drugs you are having problems with.

They are very encouraging. Recovering kids approached and incessantly told me to keep coming to meetings, because it works.

Just listening to them and telling the group about how their lives are took me aback. I should feel lucky that I have a family and even my bosses at work behind me.

Thank you for your support!

-Van

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-07-2004 at 05:34 AM.

Old 10-07-2004, 07:28 PM   #4
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Just came back from my 2nd NA meeting. Met a couple of cute girls. I know that's not the primary purpose of meetings.

Eight days clean, baby!

Van

Old 10-11-2004, 03:05 PM   #5
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Hi everyone! Day 12 of clean time, 5th day of NA meetings. Still nervous going to meetings.

Van

Old 10-12-2004, 05:40 AM   #6
(female)

toomany HB User

Hi Van,

Just wanted to say way to go. I know how nerve wracking it is going to meetings. In spite of that you are going anyway and that takes courage.

Thanks for sharing what you are doing to get and stay clean/sober. It's very encouraging to us all. Particularly newbies that have just sign on.

Patty

Old 10-12-2004, 08:08 AM   #7
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomany
Hi Van,

Just wanted to say way to go. I know how nerve wracking it is going to meetings. In spite of that you are going anyway and that takes courage.

Thanks for sharing what you are doing to get and stay clean/sober. It's very encouraging to us all. Particularly newbies that have just sign on.

Patty

All worked up last night because of the new place. Ended up that there were only 8 of us and 3 of them I recognize from previous meetings. Hard to keep busy if you're not working and getting in to the colder season. I know that it is out of my hands but should actively do something about it regardless if it is going to the gym, talking to people or reading literature from the meeting.

I can't believe that I'm closing in to 2 weeks being clean. Thanks for your support.

Van

Old 10-12-2004, 08:30 AM   #8

Brenshay HB User

Dear Vanguard,

Just wanted to say that I've been following your story since the day you stopped using the drugs. Your story has been inspirational to me. I also got "busted," but it was by my husband and my doctor. Like you, I felt somewhat relieved when it happened.

Now I have been put on a tapering schedule for Vicodin which my husband doles out to me every morning, and it won't be long before I am off the drug completely. Reading your posts makes me less afraid of what it's going to be like when I am off the pills completely. I see that life does go on and that you can fill it with other positive things instead of drugs. Maybe I will join a gym, too

Anyway, thanks for letting us here into your lives and sharing what I'm sure has not been an easy time for you. Please know that you are likely helping a lot of people who post and who just read the posts. You make me feel like being drug free is possible and that I can be a better person for it.

Old 10-12-2004, 11:44 AM   #9
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenshay
Dear Vanguard,

Just wanted to say that I've been following your story since the day you stopped using the drugs. Your story has been inspirational to me. I also got "busted," but it was by my husband and my doctor. Like you, I felt somewhat relieved when it happened.

Now I have been put on a tapering schedule for Vicodin which my husband doles out to me every morning, and it won't be long before I am off the drug completely. Reading your posts makes me less afraid of what it's going to be like when I am off the pills completely. I see that life does go on and that you can fill it with other positive things instead of drugs. Maybe I will join a gym, too

Anyway, thanks for letting us here into your lives and sharing what I'm sure has not been an easy time for you. Please know that you are likely helping a lot of people who post and who just read the posts. You make me feel like being drug free is possible and that I can be a better person for it.

Glad that I've touched people lives somehow. I still consider myself weaker than most people in my NA meetings. Not as a real putdown on myself but an inspiration that anyone can get better if they are willing to stop using. I'm glad that you have husband's support. A lot of people don't have that kind of support. Prayers, will and encouragement are their only foundations to keep them upright and focused on their betterment.

Van

Last edited by Vanguard; 10-12-2004 at 11:47 AM.

Old 10-22-2007, 11:39 AM   #10
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Back again.

Wow! It's been a while since I posted on this section (a little over 2 years). Right now, I'm back on track. I got my nursing license again and have been practicing for about a year and a half now. I no longer go to NA meetings but kept the good things I learned from it (I just don't find it fit for me). I'm currently being monitored via ramdom drug screens.

Van

Old 10-22-2007, 11:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Vann--what do you think is the # 1 reason you did nt go back to using after about 4-5 months or 1 year? I have failed WAY To many times to not make this work.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:25 PM   #12
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Fullcircle9707,

I'm just wondering what have you tried in your recovery (i.e. NA/AA/nothing)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle9707 View Post
Vann--what do you think is the # 1 reason you did nt go back to using after about 4-5 months or 1 year? I have failed WAY To many times to not make this work.

Old 10-22-2007, 04:17 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanguard View Post
Fullcircle9707,

I'm just wondering what have you tried in your recovery (i.e. NA/AA/nothing)?
Van --thanks for getting back to me. Each time (5 relapses) has been something different. 1st time = niave wife and I thought we could do it alone! boy were we wrong. 2 months. 2nd time. = Got some books and learned more and more about addiction. Hydro habit got a little worse ( still only 2-3 pills a day). 3rd time = went to outpatient rehab --sucked - I live in a very remote area and the guy was a recovering alcoholic, I couldnt relate -clean 4 months -- 4th time = Told my DR. I came clean about all the online ordering and told him to NEVER give me a script for hydro again. Went to see therapist. Didnt like him, but he is the only one in town, bummer, didnt go to NA meeting in next town over (looking back -big mistake) -Now present day. 5th relapse (not using for that long, and not that much hydro, so WD'S wont be to bad (right!) 3-4 pills a day 7.5 hydro. Plan on going to meetings this time and get into a NA program. My wife is spent. You can see it in her eyes. She hasnt talked about it all day and I just told her this morning. I will give her time. Thats my sad 5 years.

O

Old 10-23-2007, 05:00 PM   #14
(male)

Vanguard HB User

Hi! Congratulations on your will and courage to change.

Even though I let go with my connection with NA for personal reasons and belief, I still think that at some level it helps. I also believe that you going to NA is a wonderful step towards to your betterment.

We need guidance when we're lost. That's how I look at NA. I learned a lot about addiction but I don't agree with parts of its doctrine. After reading Stanton Peele's books, it opened my eyes on the addiction schema.
That's how I keep my recovery going. I don't usually tell my fellow "recovering" nurses and monitoring program for the fear of any ramification it has on my nursing license (even though I have my license I still have to follow their rules for another 3 years).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcircle9707 View Post
Van --thanks for getting back to me. Each time (5 relapses) has been something different. 1st time = niave wife and I thought we could do it alone! boy were we wrong. 2 months. 2nd time. = Got some books and learned more and more about addiction. Hydro habit got a little worse ( still only 2-3 pills a day). 3rd time = went to outpatient rehab --sucked - I live in a very remote area and the guy was a recovering alcoholic, I couldnt relate -clean 4 months -- 4th time = Told my DR. I came clean about all the online ordering and told him to NEVER give me a script for hydro again. Went to see therapist. Didnt like him, but he is the only one in town, bummer, didnt go to NA meeting in next town over (looking back -big mistake) -Now present day. 5th relapse (not using for that long, and not that much hydro, so WD'S wont be to bad (right!) 3-4 pills a day 7.5 hydro. Plan on going to meetings this time and get into a NA program. My wife is spent. You can see it in her eyes. She hasnt talked about it all day and I just told her this morning. I will give her time. Thats my sad 5 years.

O

Closed Thread