It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 09:19 AM   #1

TonK HB User
Addicted to Lortab...Need Help...

I've been taking prescription Lortab 10/500 4 times a day for the last month, probably 3 times a day the last 5 months.

I have recently decided to get off the drug, but I can't seem to.

I have cravings for the drug, and I have them at my disposal.

I know you might say "Flush 'em", but that will only make it worse.

I'm wondering if there is a counteracting drug i.e. Darvocet that will suppress my cravings while aiding in my back problem?

What can I do?

I love the high, I love the numbness....

And the ironic thing is: I HATE drugs.

I'm also on Klonopin 1mg a day, and Efexxor 150mg a day.

I'm not addicted to the Klonopin at all, plus I recently switched from Xanax to Klonopin w/o any problems.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:39 AM   #2
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User
Re: Addicted to Lortab...Need Help...

Tonk -

Hi and welcome to the board. I do understand how you feel! Do you know about Suboxone? You've just described a "wish" drug in your post, that sounds just like it. (Except for the fact that Suboxone involves opiate receptors...so when you go off it, you have to taper slowly.)

There are many posters on this Board who have written threads exclusively about Sub. (Check the archives here.) You'll hear pretty much all good things.

Meantime...just to introduce the drug: Suboxone is used particularly for withdrawing from drugs like Lortab. It acts by supressing your cravings, can help with pain isues....and depression. It's been on the market for just a short while (formerly called "bupenephren", I think). But, now that it's been approved for the public, you can go to a website (?) to locate a Sub doctor. Doctors must have taken the shortish course required in order to be allowed to prescribe it. But it's much more available than it was even a few months ago.

The only negative aspect is when you choose to come off it (ie, you feel you can manage control of drugs with no aids), your must do the taper slowly, because, for it to work in the first place, it attaches itself to the opiate receptors--so if you taper too quickly--you get withdrawal symptoms.

You would not believe the testimony here of those who feel their lives have been saved by it. Others feel you are just "trading" drugs...but Suboxone can work well for someone like myself, who suffers bad depression when tapering opiates...and lands up just giving up. (FYI, I'm not yet on Sub, but take Wellbutrin and Prozac for my ongoing bouts of clinical depression, and the occasional half a .5mg Klonipin, if very stressed.)

Sub is like the first stop for leaving all drugs behind. It allows you to discover a more "level" life without the highs and lows--and without first going through the "cold turkey" symptoms and depression. You learn to feel "normal" again. And, then, when you are ready....you take the next step...getting off ALL drugs. (Tho I'm not convinced, yet, unless I had side effects, that I would WANT to get off something that allows me to feel normal for the first time in years!! :-)

Anyway....please go back and read what so many posters have to say about Suboxone. If you can't find any, I'll backtrack for you and try to get you the exact names of the threads.

Good luck, Lynn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

With a dose like that I'd just kick it. A detox will wean you down with darvocet over about 4 days. Talk to your doc, get some Clonidine, then take a week off to kick it. Don't quit the Klonipin cold turkey though....have your doc switch you to Valium(longer half life) and then taper that stuff down over about a month(if possible). If all else fails there's always detox/rehab(the best way in my opinion). Good luck.

Old 10-07-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
Inactive

Twinlynn HB User

Windy - You have a lot of medical info. on drugs...detoxing, etc. I have a techical question for you. I agree with you that getting off everything is the best way to go, if you can, but at what dosage of opiates do you feel the amount is small enough to bypass drugs like Sub...and sit it out? Do you factor in things like depression? Or the history of a person's failures to detox. (I know you don't know this particular poster's details--but how do you normally determine it?) I'm just curious, because I've never taken a large amount of drugs per day....but my withdrawal symptoms are so severe, I may as well have! Do you think Suboxone has any use? And for whom? Thanks! Lynn

Old 10-07-2004, 11:24 AM   #5

TonK HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by windysan
With a dose like that I'd just kick it. A detox will wean you down with darvocet over about 4 days. Talk to your doc, get some Clonidine, then take a week off to kick it. Don't quit the Klonipin cold turkey though....have your doc switch you to Valium(longer half life) and then taper that stuff down over about a month(if possible). If all else fails there's always detox/rehab(the best way in my opinion). Good luck.
I'm not quitting the Klonopin, I need to be on it and Efexxor for my depression.

As for the Lortab, you think it'll be O.K. to quit cold turkey even though I've had painkillers for the last 6 months?

And Twinlynn, thanks a lot!

Old 10-07-2004, 02:06 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User

Hey Y'all,

I ain't a doc and these questions are for a doc. Most docs aren't very informed so they just throw dope down your throat. In my opinion the Klonipin and the Effexor are NOT to be cold turkeyed !!! The Klonipin is dangerous and if you cold turkey that stuff you could die. Really. I think Klonipin and Effexor are crap....but that's just me. As for the Suboxone route...well, I don't know about what dose = cold turkey or Suboxone. I'd say that under 50 Lortab/Vicodin per day should be cold turkeyed ONLY with the help of a MEDICALLY-SUPERVISED DETOX. I know a bunch of junkies who have gone the Suboxone route only to wish they had cold turkeyed. As for Oxycontin, MSContin, Oxycodone, Percocet, Percodan....that really depends on the dose. I say go to a MEDICAL DETOX and DON'T jump on the Suboxone or Methadone. I'm for getting the dopesickness overwith for good. To hell with lingering around feeling like crap and trying to kick something else(methadone kick is brutal). To each his own....whatever works. If it is a taper, Suboxone (not Methadone !), medically-supervised detox.....hey, if it works.....great....that's the goal.

Closed Thread