It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 10:43 AM   #1

youngfool84 HB User
Unhappy having long term marijuana side effects

I had a really bad marijuana habit, and even though I haven't been that much of a long-time user (only 2 years) I am experiencing all the long term side effects. It has really hurt the intellectual side of me. I have become less able to find exact words with which to express myself and often stumble. It has hurt my social side of me, when I'm with groups of people I get really nervous and can't think of anything to say. It has hurt my memory also, I have no short term memory and can't call past events as well, even events that happened before I started smoking pot. It is really hard to keep living like this and I've been really depressed for a long time. I haven't smoked for about a month now and none of my symptoms are getting better. I really hope I haven't caused permanent damage to myself. I just want to feel like my old self again. I want to be able to think clearly and recall words better. My smoking habit has hurt me in so many ways, it has turned me into a totally idiot. If I would have known pot would have caused all these problems I would have never started. Is there someone out there that knows if the long term effects of pot go away after awhile? Do you eventually turn back to the state you were before you started smoking pot? Please I need some advice from someone whose had the same experiences as me.

Old 10-07-2004, 10:59 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: having long term marijuana side effects

I'm pretty sure that weed washes out of your body/brain pretty quickly. It is a psychological addiction. It doesn't sound like the pot is giving you the problems. It sounds like a depression problem but I ain't no doc. I don't know of any long term negative effects from smoking weed for a short time. You are probably just having some depression problems which may or may not be related to pot. Give it some time....you'll get better.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 11:15 AM   #3
Inactive

atibbert HB User

I was a long time heavy pot smoker 5 plus years, probably 40 bong hits a day. Talk about killing brain cells. I have been clean and sober 15 years now and have found my intellegence has returned as well as my short and long term memory. For a while I could not remember a name for phone number even if it was just told to me. It will get better. Give it some time!
Amy

Old 10-08-2004, 12:58 PM   #4
(male)

mickey56 HB User

Should be no problem! I was there for over 25 years with so many others and I have never heard of these scenarios-it must be something else...just not in the realm..good luck!

Old 10-10-2004, 12:28 AM   #5
(female)

dinobites HB User

I can relate. I smoked everyday for 5 years, and I dealt with some of the same things you described. I had social anxiety. I could not think of anything to say, even around my close friends. I would stumble over words, never be able to get my point across, and feel like an idiot. My memory of course was shot. I was depressed since childhood, and used pot to cope, which only made my depression worse.

Now I've been clean for 3 years, and I do feel much less social anxiety. I am better able to communicate, don't stumble over words anymore. I still cannot remember alot from the years I was smoking pot, but my short term memory has improved. Also, I now deal with my depression directly (with antidepressants and counseling) instead of self medicate with drugs. I am a happier person now.

Closed Thread