It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2004, 11:54 AM   #1

Bodendo HB User
What are the negative effects of narcotics?

I'm just curious, is anyone familiar with the negative effects of opiod based narco's? I know some general stuff, but what happens to the insides of heavy users? I'm not reffering to withdrawl's and addictions but the other bagagge that comes with the drugs, like organ damage and stuff. I'm finally kicking the habit and want to know what I'm missing out on

Old 10-07-2004, 12:39 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Snails HB UserSnails HB User
Re: What are the negative effects of narcotics?

I've never had a problem with addiction (so I hope it's okay that I post here), but I've been taking opiates for awhile now for chronic pain. As far as I know, pure opiate painkillers (those without added Tylenol or Advil) don't have long term damaging effects on your organs. I know that there is no limit on pure opiate dosing for people with chronic pain, as long as they titrate up slowly. Some people are on huge doses of Oxycontin or Avinza or Dilaudid, etc., but I do not think anyone has identified a link between opiate use and organ damage, no matter what the dose. But if you take things like Vicodin or Percocet, then the high amount of Tylenol you ingest can cause serious damage to your GI system, kidneys, liver, and possibly other organs. I hope this helps--either way it's best to stay away from opiates unless you need them for pain, and even then if you need them long-term it's important to take opiates without added Tylenol or Advil.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

windysan HB User
Re: What are the negative effects of narcotics?

That's right, Snails. Take a look at William S. Burroughs....he kicked late in life and he lived a long time. If it is pure opiate without the other junk then you can live a long time.

Closed Thread