It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2004, 10:40 PM   #1

drong HB User
questions arise on legality terms of an addictions assesment

Hello. Perhaps this is a good place to present this problem I am having.

I assume that some readers/posters here have had past experience with and/or work for addiction & recovery service centers. I am looking into the legality issues of a single meeting best known as an "addictions assesment" .

:My story:

I had a drug-related charge where I was recommended by the courts to obtain an addictions assesment. I went to the center that I was appointed to and met with a Mr. FooBar* , BA, ACIT. (*actual name replaced ..... BA , ACIT is this person's qualifications)

We began the meeting, he asked me questions, I gave him 100% truthful answers. He signed me up for a meeting, and informed me of what he would recommend. I asked him to fax the results to my pre-sentencing probation officer. Done.

Now I went to court, and the final sentincing went through, and I got a copy of all the paperwork that I had to sign. It says , signed and dated by my pre-trial officer (the one that got the fax) :

__BEGIN QUOTE ___

Information was recieved from [addictions center I attended] that [dr_wrong(me) ] had completed an addictions assesment and was referred to
Level1 Education*.

__END QUOTE__

*Level1 << that means a class or two a month for ...3 weeks..?? I forget exactly. Not so bad. Not so time consuming. Not so COSTLY. Read more....

Then I went to court for sentencing.

I feel that Mr FooBar, or someone else higher up in this agency has unjustly modified my assesment without any other consultation on my part.

In a simple question, I ask:
Can these qualifiees modify my "addictions assesment" without a follow-up assesment from me, the client?

(the Mr FooBar, and another signature there...hmm whos this? Never met who owns this OTHER signature....)

I have had one meeting, with one determination on that date.

Now, when i go to my court-appointed probation officer, I am informed of a

intense outpatient? Lasting 6 months?

I felt like I could trust this Mr. FooBar BA, ACIT , for I was completely honest with everything. Honesty pays off. HRMF.

HELP!
- dr wrong

PS-
If you do not know for sure if the Mr FooBar and other qualifiedees can modify assesments in this way, please don't get me on the wrong track.

PS- (continued) You do have all permissions to sympathize

Last edited by dr_wrong; 10-08-2004 at 10:43 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2004, 04:07 AM   #2
Inactive

atibbert HB User
Re: questions arise on legality terms of an addictions assesment

As a former probation officer myself (and a recovering addict), the judge can make this decision to change the recommendation of anyone to what he thinks is appropriate. I am unclear as to what transpired in court or what was said to you, but it could have been the judge. He qualification: he has seen a million of us and knows you are likely to return without intense outpatient treatment. I myself and grateful to the young man I had on probation who was the one who planted the seed in me when he brought me in a bunch of AA literature to keep in my office for other clients. I found myself reading them and thinking: This is ME. I have now been sober 15 plus years and have never forgotten that young man. Sometimes GOD has a way of intervening too!!
Amy

Old 10-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #3

drong HB User

Amy

thanks for your reply.

Coincidentally, my girlfriend came up with the same idea. I felt it to be false.
If not false, the judge's decision to alter my 'path to recovery', I further venture to ask then:
How qualified is this judge in the aspects of assessing addictions?

If this country's constitution keepers would commonly make such abhorrent diagnoses with drug issues then why would I be reccomended by the court to
go to an addictions assesment and follow up with their reccomendations?

This is why I feel it was not the judge. It is not the judges signature reccomending this treatment. Indirectly; maybe.

(Judge: "What ?! Only Level One? Call these A&C guys, tell them to fix the paperwork." ...then thoughts of >> "I know we can get away with it")

I believe God chose this way, as he chose every other way of my life, as I choose.........challenges do arise. Do I fall victim to the 'everyday case' , and the whim of a judge whom I consider unjust to make this sort of decision?

I feel that Mr FooBar, BA, ACIT or someone else higher up in this agency has unjustly modified my assesment without any other diagnosis/consultation on my part.

Again, I ask:

Can these qualifiees* (*the Addictions Assesment people) modify my "addictions assesment" without a follow-up assesment from me, the client?

-dr wrong

Old 10-09-2004, 04:01 PM   #4
Inactive

atibbert HB User

You have to realize this is a situation you are powerless over. The sooner you realize that, the better off you are going to be. Perhaps the assessor's superior reviewed your file and felt the assessor's assessment was incorrect and that you would be better served elsewhere. When it comes to these court type situations, you are better off going with the flow. I am unclear as to whether or not you are in recovery or even want to be. Sometimes it takes someone planting the seed so to speak. Perhaps even the probation officer made the decision you needed more intense therapy. Their qualifications: they are your new boss, they have seen hundreds if not more of people with addictions and know that without intense therapy you will probably not succeed. They do not need your approval to change your recommended treatment. Remember you are the one who got into trouble. Unfortunately or perhaps fortunately, for you, you have very little say in the matter. Getting clean and sober was the best thing that ever happened to me. It changed my life. That young man who planted the seed for me, a person I had on probation, I remember seeing him in court facing significant time for several burglaries and remember thinking this guy will never make it. After 2 years on house arrest, he came to me on straight probation. He was clean and sober, happy, employed and a pleasure to have on my case load. HE SAVED MY LIFE. Maybe someone is trying to save yours.
Amy

Closed Thread