It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Addiction & Recovery Message Board

Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2004, 10:13 PM   #1

Baseball65 HB User
Question Buprenorphine..QUESTIONS???? Help!!

Hi guys and gals..
I've been looking into finding a subutex/buprenorphine MD,since my relapse.

iT seemed from reading posts that the people who have been most successful after long addictions did the sub for a lot longer than the 4-5 days I was on it...it's all starting to make sense......5 years on painkillers....might take a bit longer than 10 days transition to kick.

My Insurance co. sent me to a MD (Psychiatrist I think) who was willing to prescribe me the sub,but was unable to find a Pharmacy which stocked it here in Nashville.

I just went down to my local pharmacy and was quite candid about my problem with the pharmacist...she said they don't stock it but can order it no problem.

So heres my question.(s)

1. Is my Md going to be allowed to prescribe it? I thought only certain Drs were allowed to (he only knew about it,but was no authority)

2. He had to ask me which dosage I should start on.
I've been on about 100 mgs of hydro a day (10 lortabs)..it comes in 2 and 8 mgs...where did you guys start? I never bothered to ask when I was in detox,and as I know I'll have to eventually taper off it as well,I'd rather start at the right dose.

I used the AMA website on BUPRENORPHINE to find some other MDs in my area who are sub Mds,but most only do it inpatient,and My insurance will NOT cover another de-tox(not that I want to go back....it was virtually self-serve when I was in there anyways...I had to remind THEM when to give me my meds)

I found that most MDs won't use it for prolonged treatment which is STUPID since the more I read,it's the people who take it longer who are having the best success at staying away from drugs.I Imagine with the 30 Patient limit per MD,they all seem to want to use it for the inpatient treatment only ($$$$$$$$$$$) and then kick you loose...they can't charge big money for outpatient treatment....makes fiscal sense.

I found one MD who will take you outpatient,but he charges $450 for the first visit and meds and $150(per week??) for follow ups and DOESN'T take insurance.....says the insurance Co's won't pay claiming that opiate addiction isn't life threatening...ahhh...such compassion...

anyways...I seem to know more than the MD's I call just from reading your posts and doing my own research,so I'm just appealing for a little more info to you guys.
Thanks
Baseball

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2004, 07:47 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

goddessgrl65 HB User
Re: Buprenorphine..QUESTIONS???? Help!!

Baseball-
hi-did you find a dr. to prescribe the sub?Basically-my initial detox to maintainence w/ suboxone-went something like this-2 mgs every few hours until you reach 16 mgs-the first 24 hrs-then next day take 8mgs-morning and afternoon-for the next 4 days-after 5 days-slowly ease down dosage by 2 mgs a day-till you are at 8 mgs-and stay at 8 mgs-
once stabilised at 8 mgs-i stayed there for several months-coming down 1/2 mg-every month-as you taper.im currently at 3 mgs-going down 1/2 per month-
i have been on sub for a yr. in november-w/o using any other opiates-the sub will give you time to concentrate of repairing your life-look at the past damage-w/o the interfering depression and craving that brings on relapse.
talk to your dr..they have basic prescribing info-the suboxone site-says that most patients do best at 12-16 mgs-but i assure you this is mostly for beginning doses-sub is a strong med-and you really can be held at lower doses..4-8 mgs-feeling fine/stable-
Good luck baseball-
ggrl

Old 10-11-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
(female)

KIMBEE HB User
Re: Buprenorphine..QUESTIONS???? Help!!

Baseball, I dont know how far you live from Memphis, but there is a WONDERFUL doctor there that prescribes Suboxone and is very very resonable!! He only charges $75 a visit and accepts insurance. Like I said I am not from Tenn. but I drive there monthly for my Suboxone. To me its well worth the drive. If you need his name please let me know. I am not sure if he has any openings as he stays very busy, he is such a caring and compassionate man. He lets you stay on the sub for as long as you need. I have been on it for over a year now and he told me it was my decision when I want to be tapered. Good luck to ya!!

Closed Thread